any iceberg worries?

luckyinpa

My boyfriend absent-mindedly commented "I hope we don't run into any icebergs on our cruise..." after we finished watching Titanic. We're going to the Caribbean so I don't think it will be a big issue.

Hi All,

Trillion-ton iceberg breaks off from Antarctic ice shelf

1425419226020.png

Published July 12, 2017

A massive iceberg that’s twice the size of Lake Erie has completely separated from the Larsen C Ice Shelf in Antarctica, researchers announced Wednesday.

In a blog post from Project Midas, a UK-based Antarctic research project that has been investigating the warming climate and its effect on the Larsen C ice shelf in West Antarctica, researchers said NASA satellite imagery has confirmed that the iceberg had calved sometime between Monday, July 10, and Wednesday, July 12. :eek:

This thing might just slip into the Caribbean... or not!

Hi All,

Trillion-ton iceberg breaks off from Antarctic ice shelf

1425419226020.png

Published July 12, 2017

A massive iceberg that’s twice the size of Lake Erie has completely separated from the Larsen C Ice Shelf in Antarctica, researchers announced Wednesday.

In a blog post from Project Midas, a UK-based Antarctic research project that has been investigating the warming climate and its effect on the Larsen C ice shelf in West Antarctica, researchers said NASA satellite imagery has confirmed that the iceberg had calved sometime between Monday, July 10, and Wednesday, July 12. :eek:

This thing might just slip into the Caribbean... or not!

If you are interested, I thought this was a decent article on why this matters.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/the-larsen-c-crack-up-in-antarctica-why-it-matters-w491929

Read a few articles about this huge iceberg size of Delaware after a few years of cracking finally broke off Larsen C. Very interesting. I wonder if an Antarctica expedition that goes to Weddell Sea next year will be able to catch a glimpse of the tabular iceberg. Highly doubt it but one can still hope.

Larsen-C_Reuters-1024x751.png

My boyfriend absent-mindedly commented "I hope we don't run into any icebergs on our cruise..." after we finished watching Titanic. We're going to the Caribbean so I don't think it will be a big issue.

No worries about icebergs in the Caribbean.

But don't let your guard down.

Keep in mind that you'll most likely be within the Bermuda Triangle where UFO sightings, alien abductions and ship disappearances are well documented.

Enjoy your cruise!

No worries about icebergs in the Caribbean.

But don't let your guard down.

Keep in mind that you'll most likely be within the Bermuda Triangle where UFO sightings, alien abductions and ship disappearances are well documented.

Enjoy your cruise!

Beam me up Scotty!! :p

Read a few articles about this huge iceberg size of Delaware after a few years of cracking finally broke off Larsen C.

The size of Delaware and twice the size of Lake Erie is a huge size difference. Just how big is this thing? :confused:

The size of Delaware and twice the size of Lake Erie is a huge size difference. Just how big is this thing? :confused:

I don't think you want to meet this thing on a dark night!! :o:o

Or even on a bright sunny day for that matter!! Penguins don't steer well anyway.

Bit of misquoting going on here. Several sources say it is 2500 sq. miles, which is the size of Delaware. Lake Erie is 9900 sq. miles, but only has a volume of 115 cu. miles, which is what the Accuweather report actually says.

can they melt the iceberg and use it for drinking water on the ship?

and i havent read anything but is there really life on the moving object?

It was always fun watching the little speed boat the ship would launch when visiting Hubbard Glacier in Alaska. They would chip off a piece of iceberg and bring it back to show everyone. They may have used it for ice cubes in your drink that night...but have to clean the Seal poop off of it first. ;p

Life on the moving object..would that be earth?? ;)

If you are interested, I thought this was a decent article on why this matters.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/the-larsen-c-crack-up-in-antarctica-why-it-matters-w491929

OK. It has been long overdue.

It is time that we humans took control of planet earth's weather and climate.

Results will be similar to the US Post Office and the "Affordable Care Act".

Personally, I just accept the fact that we are doomed and grab another beer and book another cruise.

You hit icebergs all the time........

....on the way to the fjords in Alaska or Norway.

No, you do not.

Small fragments, the size you might hit, are called growlers. Larger fragments, the size of a house - which any well-handled ship would avoid, are called bergy bits.

Anything called an iceberg is damn big - and no ship has run into one for a very long time.

In 2009 we took b2b trans Atlantic on the then Ocean Princess. We went from NYC to London and back. On the return leg, we visited Prins Christian Sund, which is in Norway. It is a fjord and we were scheduled to spend the day sailing through it. The captain told us he would get an iceberg report late evening which would tell him if we could go thru or just sail around.

The report showed no problems, so we sailed in. Mid afternoon we came around a bend and saw not one but two icebergs in the middle of the channel. As the captain was about to launch our motor boat to check them out, the two icebergs split and drifted to the sides of the channel. This left us with a clear passage down the center.

The captain later learned and informed us that there had been a problem with the transmission of the report the night before. The last line was lost. It would have alerted the captain to the two icebergs. He said that if he had known of them we would not have gone thru the fjord. So we really lucked out with a beautiful day sailing thru it.