how strict are they on age in the bars?

Exactly. I'm thinking along the same lines here. Drinking underage is one thing, it is illegal and that is wrong. There are no legal issue involved with being at a comedy club. That is personal preference of your parenting. With that said I wouldn't let my young child be subjected to that, but I have let my son and daughter go to The Comedy Club when they were 16 and 17. As long as they are with me and not causing any disruption I really don't see why anyone cares if someone under 18 is in the comedy club.

And a little agreement of the other reply; it's my vacation so I'm going to do things I wouldn't do at home. I don't think it seems unreasonable that on a family vacation you would want all of your family to be together. I don't know if you've ever had a teenage daughter, but I can tell you I didn't allow my 17 year old daughter to go on the boat anywhere alone.

Slightly different perspective. Say several kids underage were hanging out together on the ship without their parents. As some kids will do, they decide that it would be neat to sneak into the adult show in the comedy club without their parents being present. During the show (which their parent are attending on their own), the parents see some of their kids there. They go over to their kids, and drag them out of the Comedy Show and march down to guest services and begin to ream the young lady behind the counter because Carnival did not stop their kids from going into the adult comedy show. There is a big to-do and Carnival's ship management has to deal with irate parents. Yet, 2 nights later, these same parents and kids show up in the Piano Bar after 10:00pm to listen to the music. After two or three slightly off color songs, these parents are once again down at guest services reaming out the same young lady because they took their kids into a bar late at night to listen to some music and did not like the choice of music. At the same time, in another bar, a couple of parents get irate with a bartender because he will not serve their 19 year old son who is in the military and on vacation with his parents. Meanwhile, security calls up three sets of parents to come and pick up their children because they got caught going down a cabin deck corridor taking room service cards off of the doors and adding massive amounts of food and then hanging them back on the doors. While they are talking to these parents they get another call that there is a group of 8 adults at the Lido Pool skinny dipping while the Dive In Movie is playing and they have already spilled a number of drinks in the pool. Welcome to the world of everyone doing their own thing because they want to and to hell with the rules.

Retired...I believe it is the parent's responsibly for their child not Carnival. Or their school. Or their coach. Or anyone else. So if it is stated adult content or they enter an adult area they are therfore accepting that adult sitations, conversations, etc. Seems similar to if I take my 17 year old to an R movie. I doubt I get anywhere on complaining about how the movie scars my child.

I personally don't have my kids wandering the ship, but to those who do in my opinion they are asking for problems.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

Retired...I believe it is the parent's responsibly for their child not Carnival. Or their school. Or their coach. Or anyone else. So if it is stated adult content or they enter an adult area they are therfore accepting that adult sitations, conversations, etc. Seems similar to if I take my 17 year old to an R movie. I doubt I get anywhere on complaining about how the movie scars my child.

I personally don't have my kids wandering the ship, but to those who do in my opinion they are asking for problems.

Or Carnival can set the age just like Comedy Clubs back home....some of which are 21+

To be more specific...a comedian talking about sex acts...for the entire show. Graphic stuff you don’t hear in movie theaters.

They say you have to be 18 to be in the comedy club for adult shows and sometimes card.

“Guests under the age of 18 may not attend the Late Night Shows, which are "R" rated”

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1061/kw/night%20club%20ages/session/L3RpbWUvMTUwODI3MjE3NS9zaWQvZlVaTUcwMnNUYVRoUVkzNlpRWGgzSmpYaHJOOUFPbEI0dXJkOEkwTmc4eXRMRlQwUHM2N044SXJ2WSU3RWVOMXlXR3RtVzNSNl9iT3BISXpsNWdidVJaWVlUbTRwYzMyOERNMFpLVyU3RSU3RXJxUWprTnMyUWFqdTE0SUNnJTIxJTIx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been to movies that talk about sex acts plenty of times so seems very similar.

I've been to some comedy years ago on Carnival that said adult content.

Anymore I'm betting many teenagers have heard "music" just as bad.

Or don't allow you underage daughter to wander the ship alone. You can look back years ago I posted I wouldn't allow my daughter to sunbathe alone on her graduation cruise bc of as you stated ..there are too many pervs.

Unfortunately, it happens even if they aren't alone. My daughter was 19 on our last cruise. We have always had a "safer in a group" guideline for both our son and daughter and reiterated it before the cruise. I couldn't believe how many times men offered to buy her drinks in various areas of the ship when I was with her. Even happened twice when she was with her dad! In one of the clubs two of the men apologized and said they just assumed she was 21 because she was in a bar. During a deck party, one guy told her she was legal because she was in international waters. I'm not an idiot and know that my daughter does, on occasion drink, but we only allowed her to drink in port.

I would be concerned about the safety of the teen attending 21+ events. Alcohol is flowing at the nightclub, people's inhibitions are lowered, and some people's inhibitions aren't all that high to start. I would be concerned that someone might buy the teen drinks, perhaps put something in the drinks and try to take advantage of a teen's naivete. Not everyone on a cruiseship has good intentions, unfortunately.

I understand that the Teen Club hosts some dance parties. That would be a safer venue for a teen to have a night out.

LOVE this idea. Certain color wristbands for 18 and up, and another for 21 and up. I hope Carnival does this. Except not make them as easy to get on and off like the Havana ones so they don't get put on eBay. Or maybe require they get turned back in at the end of the cruise or get billed.

Better yet they should go to color coded S&S cards like Celebrity. Minors have Blue and the loyalty tier is printed on the card.

Although when the Ocean Medallion thing comes about, they should be able to weed out the offenders at the door right off the bat. It's going to be great!

This is how it's done at the AI resorts I've been too.

Minors have one color band - no matter their "status" (member or non-member, elite, etc)

Adults band colors are based on their "status" (on carnival it would be blue, red, gold, platinum, etc)

The bands are cut off at check out and kept by the resort. (they could be removed at debarkation on a ship)

The bands have no guest info on them, they're just a heavy duty colored band (not a flimsy paper one like some venues use for admission)

I've been to movies that talk about sex acts plenty of times so seems very similar.

I've been to some comedy years ago on Carnival that said adult content.

Anymore I'm betting many teenagers have heard "music" just as bad.

Whatever. It's more graphic that what would be allowed in a movie. The age is 18+ and your kids may get booted if you sneak them in.

Unfortunately, it happens even if they aren't alone. My daughter was 19 on our last cruise. We have always had a "safer in a group" guideline for both our son and daughter and reiterated it before the cruise. I couldn't believe how many times men offered to buy her drinks in various areas of the ship when I was with her. Even happened twice when she was with her dad! In one of the clubs two of the men apologized and said they just assumed she was 21 because she was in a bar. During a deck party, one guy told her she was legal because she was in international waters. I'm not an idiot and know that my daughter does, on occasion drink, but we only allowed her to drink in port.

Sorry don't recall the content of the quote and don't want to search thru 30+ pages. But I agree some men will hit on underage girls even outside of bar areas or clubs. Even when they know they are underage. Although I will say I have had it happen before when I was with my daughter many times and I have said something and it has stopped it from continuing with that person typically. I haven't ever taken my kids into a bar (I don't drink) not saying they haven't ever been in one, but if I did I would likely expect it to happen, bc well alcohol....

Edited by kc58ab

I would be concerned about the safety of the teen attending 21+ events. Alcohol is flowing at the nightclub, people's inhibitions are lowered, and some people's inhibitions aren't all that high to start. I would be concerned that someone might buy the teen drinks, perhaps put something in the drinks and try to take advantage of a teen's naivete. Not everyone on a cruiseship has good intentions, unfortunately.

I understand that the Teen Club hosts some dance parties. That would be a safer venue for a teen to have a night out.

100% agree. I think the bar or nightclub is different than the comedy or Serenity area, but that's just my opinion.

I don't mean this to insult anyone, its just an observation (altho I will probably get flamed....lol, oh well). Why do people even consider its ok to just disregard the age rule? The "R" rated comedy show is 18+....it says it on Fun Times, they make announcement before the show. If you are in the comedy show with your under 18 child, they have to leave....If its necessary that you all have to stay together, you all need to leave and go to something else that is "family friendly"....Why is this even a question? I think this just as much, if not more to any ship club that is deemed 21+. I would ask people if they would take their under age kid into a club meant for adults (21 and over) on land? If not, why would you do it on the ship. Don't they have "teen clubs" up to 18 yrs old? My personal opinion, if I go to an adult event, I want to hang out with adults, not kids. So before people start taking my post to an extreme and twisting it where you are going to accuse me of calling your parenting skills into question, I am not doing that. I am just stating that if there is an age restriction at a certain venue, why cant we just follow that instead of looking for a loophole?

Agreed:)

• 6 months later...

Again, the legal drinking age is 21 and I'm not in favor of bending that as it's a law. And this is coming from the girl who couldn't even legally drink until over a year AFTER she graduated college!

There is no minimum legal drinking age at sea. In international waters the 21 drinking age is Carnival policy, not the law.

On my first cruise I was 20 turning 21 in two weeks and they let me drink alcohol. I was also with my mother and she said it was fine as if I needed her permission but depending how mature they are might make a difference on getting the slip into the clubs and when they will be turning 18.

Not on Carnival.

My concern with the Teen Club is when you have 13 year olds and 18 year olds partying and dancing together. I teach at a Middle School/ High School and you can bet we never let the 8th graders and 12th graders attend the same dances!

My concern with the Teen Club is when you have 13 year olds and 18 year olds partying and dancing together. I teach at a Middle School/ High School and you can bet we never let the 8th graders and 12th graders attend the same dances!

Shouldn’t be an issue. There’s a 12-14 year old club and a 15-17 year old club. So 13 year olds shouldn’t be mixing with 17 year olds and 18 year olds shouldn’t be in there at all.