how strict are they on age in the bars?

First and Ten, for the obvious reasons...reading the OP's question. They are teens on spring break, looking to party and drink without being hassled.

And this is why I never cruise during that period of time....

Why would u want teens to drink ? Where I’m from that’s called endangering the welfare of a minor. Buy a teen in NYC and you’ll get fined possibly arrested

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So looking to book the Carnival Dream for Spring break. This would be a small group of adults with their graduating kids. Some of the kids are 18 and some will still be 17. I am curious as to how strict they will be on allowing the 17 year olds into the club that says 18+, and how strict they will be in allowing them into the bar (21+) not to drink but just to hang with the adults and enjoy the music and dancing.

anyone have any experience with this?

thanks in advance

Bill

We were on Magic last summer and saw Carnival employees outside the dance club carding people. You had to be 18 to get in and they appeared to be enforcing it. That being said, that is the only place on the ship I saw that. So a 17 year old could probably go anywhere else without anyone saying anything.

Why would u want teens to drink ? Where I’m from that’s called endangering the welfare of a minor. Buy a teen in NYC and you’ll get fined possibly arrested

Actually, I DON'T want them to drink. I was being a bit sarcastic with my response. And actually, I don't want ANY of the rules to be broken....but I find I'm generally in the minority.

Actually, I DON'T want them to drink. I was being a bit sarcastic with my response. And actually, I don't want ANY of the rules to be broken....but I find I'm generally in the minority.

I travelled with my 17 year old son also. I don’t drink so he’s not tempted but we sat in the lounge while karaoke or a game show was going on. Underage at a bar I think some patrons might be uncomfortable but it’s tolerable on vacation which is fantastyland to begin with. While at home wouldn’t fly with me. Underage drinking should never be tolerated vacations or otherwise

We are cruising in two weeks and my daughter will be only 2 weeks shy of turning 18. She's very mature and it really stinks that she is the only one in our group that is under age 18. I would love for her to be able to hang out in the disco with the rest of the family. I too wonder if they ever allow someone so close to turning 18 into the disco or if there is absolutely no chance in that happening.

I don't mean this to insult anyone, its just an observation (altho I will probably get flamed....lol, oh well). Why do people even consider its ok to just disregard the age rule? The "R" rated comedy show is 18+....it says it on Fun Times, they make announcement before the show. If you are in the comedy show with your under 18 child, they have to leave....If its necessary that you all have to stay together, you all need to leave and go to something else that is "family friendly"....Why is this even a question? I think this just as much, if not more to any ship club that is deemed 21+. I would ask people if they would take their under age kid into a club meant for adults (21 and over) on land? If not, why would you do it on the ship. Don't they have "teen clubs" up to 18 yrs old? My personal opinion, if I go to an adult event, I want to hang out with adults, not kids. So before people start taking my post to an extreme and twisting it where you are going to accuse me of calling your parenting skills into question, I am not doing that. I am just stating that if there is an age restriction at a certain venue, why cant we just follow that instead of looking for a loophole?

No flame here. I agree with you.

We are cruising in two weeks and my daughter will be only 2 weeks shy of turning 18. She's very mature and it really stinks that she is the only one in our group that is under age 18. I would love for her to be able to hang out in the disco with the rest of the family. I too wonder if they ever allow someone so close to turning 18 into the disco or if there is absolutely no chance in that happening.

I seriously doubt it. That's the one venue where they actually have people standing at the door checking age. The best thing would've been just to schedule the cruise two weeks later.

I seriously doubt it. That's the one venue where they actually have people standing at the door checking age. The best thing would've been just to schedule the cruise two weeks later.

Unfortunately we didn't get to choose what week we are cruising. This cruise is a gift from my parents. It's my family, my sisters family and our parents. It was the only week everyone was available to go.

My daughter isn't into the party scene but I know she would have liked to have been able to at least go with us into the disco if we choose to go. Oh well.

Just a thought....is she "mature" physically/emotionally/or both?....If it's on the physical side, you got a shot....tease out her hair, heavy makeup, short skirt and at least 3 inch pumps....Hope like heck a younger straight guy is working the door (I guess a woman who prefers other woman works too, but I still think younger straight guy is your best bet....98% of them are as shallow as a puddle [emoji16]) 50% shot she doesn't get carded....If she does, have her go with puppy dog eyes while saying in the sweet voice "Oh darn, I left my ID upstairs, do I really have to go all the way back"? Here's the key, pause for effect, then invoke the "cute pouty face"....SHES IN!!!!

Enjoy your cruise!!!! [emoji38]

The only area on the ship that is 21 and up is the serenity area. The night club ID's everyone that looks younger and do not let in under 18 yr olds. No age limit on any of the bars (as this is also where minors get their sodas). The 15-17 Club O2 teen club does not permit anyone over 18 in them and they do enforce this. The drinking age of 21 was set by Carnival (and the other cruise lines) to correspond with local laws they mainly cruise out of(being the US) and is a rule not a law. Once out in International waters the law is based upon what country the ship is flagged to and 90% of countries in the world have a drinking age of 16-19. These rules though can be enforced with fines and penalties up to being removed off the ship as they are part of the cruise ticket contract you agreed to when purchasing a ticket. So those that like to 'feel' it is ok to let under 18 yr olds into a comedy show for only over could be penalized for it. We all agree to abide by the rules set forth in the contract you 'sign'. But it does always seem most feel the rules do not apply to them as witnessed by the many comments here and what I see on board.

Comedy club does appear to have started carding. My 18 yo reporters he got carded going to the show; of course his wallet was locked in our safe. He talked to the guy and apparently he eventually let him in. So- be prepared to have an ID check. And no, they have no ability to check the S&S card.

They do have the ability to check the s and s card...they do it every night at the nightclub. It has your pic and your birthdate

Another thing to consider. Whether it be the comedy club or Serenity. no matter how mature and well behaved, your under aged darling is taking up a coveted seat meant for an adult.

This is exactly what happened to us on our Celebrity cruise. There were 6 of us and we managed to find 4 loungers then we saw 2 more that were occupied by children/pre-teens. The adults with them saw people looking for loungers but let the kids stay right there occupying seats meant for adults.

We saw a couple of officers close by so I informed them children were in the adult area. Fortunately, they came over and let them know this was an adult area and asked them to leave. Signs were at each entrance so it was clear this area was for adults. At that point the adults they were with left as well. It was great to see the rules enforced.

Comedy club does appear to have started carding. My 18 yo reporters he got carded going to the show; of course his wallet was locked in our safe. He talked to the guy and apparently he eventually let him in. So- be prepared to have an ID check. And no, they have no ability to check the S&S card.

They do have the ability to check the s and s card...they do it every night at the nightclub. It has your pic and your birthdate

They did not that night at the entrance to the comedy club. That was the first thing my son requested/offered up. This was December on Magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Vista, they were scanning S&S cards at the door to the Limelight Lounge. Pretty much any of the other 18+ areas is not as strict. We were in the piano bar late one night when someone came in with a child probably around 6. The player, Elizabeth, let them know that it was 18+ but said it was up to them and expect foul language in the songs.

I know people have already mentioned the alcohol drinking limit but I find it interesting that NCL allows 18-20 to drink beer and wine if the parents sign a waiver. You can also have them on the beverage plan.

Just an FYI: My daughter, 29 at the time, and my niece, 23 at the time, were not only carded but needed photo IDs to gain entrance to any night spot venue that was 18+. Neither of them looks young for their age and we were cruising in January so it was not a case of peak season for young adults.

YMMV, and of course, the "it never happens" post will abound.

Exactly. I'm thinking along the same lines here. Drinking underage is one thing, it is illegal and that is wrong. There are no legal issue involved with being at a comedy club. That is personal preference of your parenting. With that said I wouldn't let my young child be subjected to that, but I have let my son and daughter go to The Comedy Club when they were 16 and 17. As long as they are with me and not causing any disruption I really don't see why anyone cares if someone under 18 is in the comedy club.

And a little agreement of the other reply; it's my vacation so I'm going to do things I wouldn't do at home. I don't think it seems unreasonable that on a family vacation you would want all of your family to be together. I don't know if you've ever had a teenage daughter, but I can tell you I didn't allow my 17 year old daughter to go on the boat anywhere alone.

I have a quick question. I read through the whole thread and never saw this asked or answered. What do you tell your children when you pass the sign that says 21+ or when the announcer says that if you're under 18 please leave? Do they ask "why are we going in if I am underage?"

In response to other comments about looking older or younger than your age- my daughter is 26 and is known at the local liquor store as "the girl who looks like she is 14". I wonder what kids have to look forward to in adulthood if they are allowed to do everything ahead of time.

Wouldn't a lot of this be solved if Carnival made it the same standard as a R rated move? After all, I am not sure any of the adult comedy I have heard truly goes to an X level. If you are a parent and want to subject your 13 year old to this stuff, you are doing it at home, and nothing I say or Carnival does is going to stop that. I wouldn't take my 13 year old son, but depending on the comedian, I would consider 16 or 17 if the rules allowed.

I recognize in life that bright line rules are "easy" but they are equally arbitrary; my son a 17 years 11 months and 29 days was no more or less mature than the day he turned 18. I see more maturity after a year of college - but that is to be expected. I also find the arbitrary rile of 18 a little flawed because Carnival is basically suggesting that the comedy is really NC-17 by the current standards and IMHO that is a bit of overkill.

So I vote call it R rated and end the debate and carding issues. Just send the kid with an adult.

Wouldn't a lot of this be solved if Carnival made it the same standard as a R rated move? After all, I am not sure any of the adult comedy I have heard truly goes to an X level. If you are a parent and want to subject your 13 year old to this stuff, you are doing it at home, and nothing I say or Carnival does is going to stop that. I wouldn't take my 13 year old son, but depending on the comedian, I would consider 16 or 17 if the rules allowed.

I recognize in life that bright line rules are "easy" but they are equally arbitrary; my son a 17 years 11 months and 29 days was no more or less mature than the day he turned 18. I see more maturity after a year of college - but that is to be expected. I also find the arbitrary rile of 18 a little flawed because Carnival is basically suggesting that the comedy is really NC-17 by the current standards and IMHO that is a bit of overkill.

So I vote call it R rated and end the debate and carding issues. Just send the kid with an adult.

No need to change the rating. The rules say 18 and over. That's it. Period. End of discussion. Some of the stuff is downright crude and nasty. No way should a kid be allowed in even with a parent. It's OK (contrary to some people's belief) to have things for adults only. This is one of them.

Exactly. I'm thinking along the same lines here. Drinking underage is one thing, it is illegal and that is wrong. There are no legal issue involved with being at a comedy club. That is personal preference of your parenting. With that said I wouldn't let my young child be subjected to that, but I have let my son and daughter go to The Comedy Club when they were 16 and 17. As long as they are with me and not causing any disruption I really don't see why anyone cares if someone under 18 is in the comedy club.

And a little agreement of the other reply; it's my vacation so I'm going to do things I wouldn't do at home. I don't think it seems unreasonable that on a family vacation you would want all of your family to be together. I don't know if you've ever had a teenage daughter, but I can tell you I didn't allow my 17 year old daughter to go on the boat anywhere alone.

So, if kids are mature enough, it's ok for them to be in adult events?Would you be ok if a few 25 year old guys decide to spend time with the teens in the teens club? Maybe they feel like being teens again. If they are immature enough, why not? No law that says they shouldn't, just ship policy... If being with family is THE point of your vacation, then find a ship or resort that has age appropriate activities for the whole family.

So, if kids are mature enough, it's ok for them to be in adult events?Would you be ok if a few 25 year old guys decide to spend time with the teens in the teens club? Maybe they feel like being teens again. If they are immature enough, why not? No law that says they shouldn't, just ship policy... If being with family is THE point of your vacation, then find a ship or resort that has age appropriate activities for the whole family.

Gotta, it really is that simple....BUT, (you knew the BUT was coming and this is just my observation) why it is not that simple is peoples own selfishness. Mom or Dad want to see the 18+ comedy show, they somehow feel guilty of leaving the son/daughter on their own so they justify it in their own mind that "my son/daughter is mature, they belong here. The 18+ sign is for other kids, not mine" The kid really doesnt care about the comedy show, its the parent that doesnt want to miss out. Same for the Serenity Deck. The 17 yr old wants to get some sun. There are dozens of open chairs open, why would the parent take the child into an over 21 area? Selfishness. Serenity is typically quieter and on some ships have nicer chairs. Its the adult being selfish abd they justify it with "well my daughter is mature, its ok for her to be here. That 21+ sign are meant for the other kids, not my daughter"

My grandson is 5, he is very advanced for his age (per doctor, not me), his vocabulary is very advanced as well as all other skills. Do I take him to these events, because he can "handle it", or do I use my own judgement and curb any events until he is of "proper" age.

If some adults can't go to entertainment venues for "adult topics" without having to encounter those "below" the age restriction, then why have the restrictions in place. Everything open to all, anything goes, OH, and if there is by chance that something is said or done that is beyond "modesty" they will be the first ones filing a complaint with the cruise line, because little Suzie or Sam were subject to "adult" activity.

Edited by myfuzzy

I have a quick question. I read through the whole thread and never saw this asked or answered. What do you tell your children when you pass the sign that says 21+ or when the announcer says that if you're under 18 please leave? Do they ask "why are we going in if I am underage?"

In response to other comments about looking older or younger than your age- my daughter is 26 and is known at the local liquor store as "the girl who looks like she is 14". I wonder what kids have to look forward to in adulthood if they are allowed to do everything ahead of time.

Actually I did already answer one of these, but I'll do it again. When we went to the comedy show it was several years ago and what they actually said is it was for mature audiences. Again I would take that as similar to R-rated movies as a parent it's my option if I want to take my child to something that is suggested 17 and older content.

As for the serenity deck I don't know there was a sign this was years ago. I'm sure now there probably is one somewhere, but no one outright noticed it and commented on it although I did know it was an "adult area". But she was 17 at the time so that is an adult legally in many cases.

I'm sure there are several seemingly adult things she has to look forward to that she hasn't done...

Anything else I can clear up for you that wasn't already detailed in the book I've posted? And all from merely answering the OP's original question....

Once again I really don't care who is in any teen or children activities on Carnival because my kids aren't there. I don't go on a family vacation to pawn my kids off to anywhere or anyone who will watch them so my selfishness can be met by doing what I want to do. Last I checked Carnival does have a lot of family-oriented activities depending on age, but I really don't need your permission on what cruise line I choose. Also as I've alluded to before there was a good ten year span after our first cruise where we didn't cruise because it wasn't the right setting for our young children as we don't leave our children with strangers. In that time we did many land vacations in places like Cancun and Florida.