Larger or smaller ship - what's your preference?

moongal

I am just curious and I keep seeing the debate pop up in various threads so I thought I would ask the specific question in its own thread to see what the consensus is at least among this group.

My personal preference at least so far since I haven't been on the Vista is that I prefer the smaller ships. I don't even have any interest in sailing on the Vista.

I like being out on the ocean and for myself I think the smaller ships give a more ocean-y, boat like feel rather than a more hotel type feel. Also at least in

my experience I do not like the larger crowds, and longer lines on the larger ships.

I would be interested in hearing everyone else's opinions especially those who have sailed on all classes. I have only sailed on Dream class and Conquest Class. And while I had fun on my Dream class cruise (Magic) I liked the conquest class ships so much more and that is what I have been booking.

I would like to try an even smaller ship if one ever home ports in Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was thinking about this the other day. I think for me size is not the issue, but what features are on the ship & who is traveling. I like conquest class ships. However, for our family cruise this year, we booked Breeze for the ropes course mostly and I also like the Red Frog Pub's outdoor seating area. Some of my kids have not cruised in years, so I thought this would be fun for them. It seems to me that the difference between my first three cruises (each ship was a little bigger) was simply the number of bars & shopping. That was Jubilee, Elation & Valor. Since I don't use nightclubs & tend to drink at the same spots & I'm not a big shopper, the ships were a lot the same for me except for size, which just gave me a bit more exercise. Now, when you start getting into extra slides, alchemy bar, guy's burgers, red frog pub & ropes courses, that's where I look at the differences. However, I think I would be happy on just about any cruise ship.

I've sailed all classes and definitely larger. These days I'm only sailing Dream class and above.

I like all of the newer restaurants and activities, I also find that the larger ships have more and better views of the water and areas to enjoy the ocean.

The worst lines I've ever encountered were on smaller ships. The larger ones have so many options and so many things to do, so people are way more spread out.

I am just curious and I keep seeing the debate pop up in various threads so I thought I would ask the specific question in its own thread to see what the consensus is at least among this group.

My personal preference at least so far since I haven't been on the Vista is that I prefer the smaller ships. I don't even have any interest in sailing on the Vista.

I like being out on the ocean and for myself I think the smaller ships give a more ocean-y, boat like feel rather than a more hotel type feel. Also at least in

my experience I do not like the larger crowds, and longer lines on the larger ships.

I would be interested in hearing everyone else's opinions especially those who have sailed on all classes. I have only sailed on Dream class and Conquest Class. And while I had fun on my Dream class cruise (Magic) I liked the conquest class ships so much more and that is what I have been booking.

I would like to try an even smaller ship if one ever home ports in Galveston.

I have been thinking about the same thing lately. I have been wanting to try one of the Dream Class ships, or Vista, especially after seeing pictures of them (interior and exterior) in reviews here on CC. The largest ships we've been on have been Conquest Class (Glory, Valor, and twice on Liberty). Many of the recent reviews of the larger ships, even though positive and very complimentary of the ships themselves, have mentioned the crowded feel, long lines (buffet and getting off/on the ship), and crowding in smaller interior spaces. I'm not a fan of large crowds and think I'd prefer Conquest Class or smaller (we've also been on Miracle and loved her). Although I'd love to try one of the larger ships, I just can't seem to get past that "crowd" issue and that really has me rethinking booking a cruise on the Dream Class or larger. Just last night my husband said he'd love to try one of the larger ships (Carnival's Dream/Vista Class or RCI's Oasis Class). :eek:

I love the southern itinerary out of San Juan and when Carnival decided to replace Carnival Liberty with Carnival Fascination on that itinerary, I was disappointed and considering another cruise line for the next time we do that itinerary. Since then, I have read several reviews of Fascination/San Juan itinerary, and from those reviews I've changed my mind about Fascination. Smaller, older ship - yes, but several reviews mention that Fascination is clean, great staff, and didn't have a "crowded" feel. I'm sold! So, the "arm twisting" has begun to hopefully book Fascination out of San Juan next year...hoping it works again like it did in 2015 when we did that itinerary for the second time (first was on Valor in 2013). ;)

Dream and Vista are essentially the same size.

I prefer big ships and I have no interest in Vista because it's not really a "big" ship and THAT would be a good example of stuffing more people in a ship without actually making it any bigger.

You mentioned you have no experience with the larger ships but then say you don't like them because of the crowds and lines. Consider the smaller ships are older designs, and the new mega ships are newer designs - where they have learned how to move people around and improve on traffic flow. To us, Glory (Conquest class) felt WAY more crowded in general than on the largest ship in the world - Oasis-class. More lines, more crowds, more crowding, etc on Glory by far.

We are sailing NCL for the first time early next year, on the Escape - which is much larger than Vista also. One thing that draws me to it is the "Waterfront" - which is an indoor/outdoor promenade with restaurants and bars that wraps all the way around the ship on a lower deck. So you are more "with the ocean" than most any ship I've seen. Looking forward to checking it out.

You are simply selling yourself short by not trying a mega-ship like Oasis-class. You won't hate it and you may end up absolutely loving it. The venues, neighborhoods, and entertainment are light years beyond anything Carnival has. Worse case scenario, you tried it but prefer Conquest.

I also think it's funny when we talk about Conquest class being "small" - until very recently - last 10 - 15 years, Conquest would have been considered a mega ship! And you would probably say how much you prefer Fascination ;p

And for what it's worth, if you are only talking about "larger" Carnival ships, then yeah, I may say Conquest class also. That's because the larger Carnival ships are the same design, just ever so slightly larger but lots and lots more people. They haven't innovated anything new in ship design in 20 years. You need to look at other lines for real ship innovation.

We prefer Conquest size ships over Breeze and Vista ships. Really missed the wow factor when entering the Vista and their

theater was designed where more folks can't see then can; really horrible.

I've never sailed a Fantasy class ship, so I'm not as qualified as some to discuss your topic, but of the Carnival ships I've been on, I prefer Conquest class. I've sailed on the Dream and the Breeze. They are nice ships, but a couple of things about them bugs me. One is that unless you have a Cove balcony, when you look straight down from your balcony, you see decking instead of water. For me, this makes you feel more separated from the ocean. We had a Lido deck balcony cabin on the Dream and a Cove balcony on the Breeze. I enjoyed the cove balcony much more. The second thing that bugs me a bit is the more closed in feel in the Lido restaurant and rather generic tropical decor. It reminds me of a food court at a mall, whereas the same area on the Conquest class ships is much more open feeling. Those are purely personal preferences. I realize those two things may not bother you or other cruisers in the least. I would LOVE to try a Fantasy class ship someday. Unfortunately my bride has no interest in it. Well, that and that those ships have only a few balcony cabins. That is a bit of a deterrent for me. Other than that, I feel pretty sure I'd love the smaller ships.

Once in junior high a girl assured me that it's not how deep you fish it's how you wiggle your worm. I think that this can be applied to cruise ship selection in some ways. I tend to like the smaller ships because they have a higher passenger to space ratio, either on the plans or de facto.

Once in junior high a girl assured me that it's not how deep you fish it's how you wiggle your worm. I think that this can be applied to cruise ship selection in some ways. I tend to like the smaller ships because they have a higher passenger to space ratio, either on the plans or de facto.

She was just trying to make you feel better....sorry about the little worm bro [emoji23]

I'm not fond of older ships. It seems like all the newest ships are larger. So although I would probably prefer a smaller new ship it's just not an option (unless you did one of those premium lines.) So I'll stick to the newer ships. I've tried a few smaller, older ships and was disappointed each time.

I sort of enjoy the Conquest when I cruise with my sister or my children (women, mid forties). My last couple of cruises and my next two are with granddaughters (15-23). Dream class is the sweet spot with them. We've sailed Magic and Breeze. They love the daytime playtime and the night life.

I don't eat at the buffet so lines, design and other conditions there aren't a factor.

When the Breeze is replaced by the Vista in Galveston I haven't yet decided what to do. I have zero interest in the Vista class, so I am waiting to see what others ships are home-ported in Galveston.

If I ever sail solo I don't think class/size will matter, though it's Dream class or earlier for sure.

Having only been on Fantasy, Triumph, and Conquest class ships, I'm going to say Conquest. I like the lido deck rooms which rules out Fantasy...and I feel the bigger buffet really made lines shorter on Conquest class than Triumph. We'll try Dream next year.

I tend to like the smaller ships because they have a higher passenger to space ratio.

That's not true at all.

Fascination: 26 GT per passenger

Conquest: 37 GT per passenger

Vista: 34 GT per passenger

NCL Escape: 39 GT per passenger

NCL Getaway: 37 GT per passenger

Freedom of the Seas: 41 GT per passenger

Anthem of the Seas: 40 GT per passenger

Oasis of the Seas: 42 GT per passenger

The larger ships tend to have substantially more space per passenger, and Carnival tends to crowd their ships more than NCL and Royal. Unless you are sailing with a line like Seabourne, the smaller "big ships" are almost always more crowded and stuffed. Also consider one of the biggest surprises with the worlds largest ships (Oasis class) that people rave about is how with 6,000 people on the ship, it feels much less crowded than the smaller ships. That's by design.

I only sail on larger ships. Breeze, vista, soon horizon. I have been on small ships and don't care for them. I stay on the ship - even when it ports and enjoy its amenities. Small ships don't have as many in my opinion.

I've sailed Fantasy, Dream and Vista class and bigger is better!. My family was super bored on our Fantasy class cruises. Nothing fun for the kids (they don't like the clubs). Not much going on for adults either. We hated the dated, old feel of those ships as well. I will not book anything less than a Dream class with Carnival or similar with another line.