Downside to boarding early?

samantha1904

I'm going on my 1st cruise in December!! I'm so excited and eager to get vacay started so I'm thinking about boarding as early as possible. Ncl's website lets you select your boarding time when you check-in online. Is there any downside to getting on the ship asap? I realize my room won't be ready but I'll bring a carry on with essentials.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No downsides for boarding early.You get to explore the ship while there are not too many people on board .You get to enjoy lunch .

Texas also limits what you can order from the bar. Not a problem for me but I've heard others complain that they have to wait until international waters to order the drink they want. We usually try to board by noon. On our very first cruise we did not know there was lunch included. Oh well -- live and learn. Remember that on cruises from USA home ports, you have to check in at least 90 minutes before boarding time, so don't cut it too close if you decide to board later. And as others have said, if you board early you'll have to drag your carry-on bags until the cabins are ready (usually 1pm to 2pm). And, finally, check to see if the cruise itself is running late. Sometimes the previous passengers are delayed in departing, which of course delays boarding time. It's not much fun to sit in the check-in room waiting to board. Also, we like to bring some cereal bars just in case we do have to wait -- and we've eaten them a couple times when the ship was delayed several hours.These days you can get text messages from the cruise line if there is a delay, and many ports have cameras so you can see if the ship is in port.

Downside to boarding early? For me I just paid to spend a night in a resort area. I treat the embarkation port as one of my ports of call and do a tour or other resort activity (even if I have spent days there before the cruise), planning to arrive at the ship 2 hours before final boarding time. I either leave luggage at the hotel or if there is a luggage storage area at the port I'll store it there.

Of course if its a port near home or the weather is bad I may not need the tour time. But if I'm in a country I've never been before, the port usually has more for me to experience than the ship which I have probably sailed on before!

Does anybody know when Norwegian starts boarding?

On Tampa in Jan, boarding started at 11 and we were able to board around 11:15 (just low level latitudes, no suite or priority status).

I'm going on my 1st cruise in December!! I'm so excited and eager to get vacay started so I'm thinking about boarding as early as possible. Ncl's website lets you select your boarding time when you check-in online. Is there any downside to getting on the ship asap? I realize my room won't be ready but I'll bring a carry on with essentials.

Earlier the better.