why Cant Carnival do this one small thing

SMSACE6

Your forgetting a few things most people wont get dressed and go to Lido or the MDR if it's delivered to their cabins. Think lazy vacations days ;) over rules getting dressed for some. Every now and then you will see a person with a covered dish heading back to the cabin ,not all that often though.

But the person in the cabin got extra winks by sending out their loved one for room service. So if they started to deliver said items there definitely would be more consumption more expense. Everyone in the cabin gets extra winks and a wake up call for breakfast . Don't forget to order two if your hungry .

sparks1093 Since food is one of the smallest over all expenses for the cruise line.

That is the understatement of the century .

I doubt that adding some limited protein items to the room service menu, items that are already being served at no extra cost elsewhere, are going to significantly increase overall costs. Those people lazing around their cabin are probably ordering room service already and they are probably not the ones overly concerned with carbs:D.

As I mentioned above, as they have it now I will very likely consume fewer portions of smoked salmon than if it was more readily and conveniently available to me. It's expensive stuff even though it's a marginal expense. And what you learn in big business is that even marginal expenses multiplied by tens or hundreds of thousands add up to Big Money.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

If they have it available on Lido I don't see why it couldn't be available on the room service menu (I was under the impression that they no longer offer it anywhere). And yes, I do know the story of the olive in the salad:).

I doubt that adding some limited protein items to the room service menu, items that are already being served at no extra cost elsewhere, are going to significantly increase overall costs. Those people lazing around their cabin are probably ordering room service already and they are probably not the ones overly concerned with carbs:D.

OMG you hacked my webcam :o :D

I doubt that adding some limited protein items to the room service menu, items that are already being served at no extra cost elsewhere, are going to significantly increase overall costs.
If they have it available on Lido I don't see why it couldn't be available on the room service menu

I have answered both of these questions in my earlier comments.

Even incremental costs when multiplied by tens or hundreds of thousands turn into big money. When I was working as an accredited third party, assessing a company that makes antilock braking systems, I learned about how someone came up with an idea that reduced the cost of one part by $0.15. The person who came up with that idea was given a $10,000 bonus. That gives you just some idea how much the company saved from that $0.15 per part savings.

And I also related above how I personally will be consuming less smoked salmon on my upcoming cruise based on the way they offer it, as compared to how much I would have consumed had they offered it in a more readily available and convenient manner. So compare the cost to the cruise line of the bagel and cream cheese that I will eat to the bagel, cream cheese and lox that I would have eaten. Maybe the difference is only $0.15 (though I suspect it's even higher than that). Multiply that by tens of thousands of passengers over the course of several years who will make the same choice that I'll be making, and the corporate manager who had the idea of removing smoked salmon from the room service menu deserves a $10,000 bonus.

And before you ask: Will this affect the likelihood of my returning to the cruise line for another Cruise? Probably not. All the cruise lines are making similar changes. And I most assuredly chose this Cruise because they were able to rationalize offering it at a lower fare. We are returning to cruising after many years of not cruising because of how much more other vacation options have increased in price and how much more manageable our vacation budget is when we cruise. It makes sense that there are some compromises being made. Some cruise lines are deliberately keeping price increases lower, making service reductions as a result, and offering superior services for an additional fee, in order to attract those of us who are experiencing a newly discovered form of sticker shock with regard to the land-based vacations that we have been taking in recent years.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Edited by bUU

I have answered both of these questions in my earlier comments.

Even incremental costs when multiplied by tens or hundreds of thousands turn into big money. When I was working as an accredited third party, assessing a company that makes antilock braking systems, I learned about how someone came up with an idea that reduced the cost of one part by $0.15. The person who came up with that idea was given a $10,000 bonus. That gives you just some idea how much the company saved from that $0.15 per part savings.

And I also related above how I personally will be consuming less smoked salmon on my upcoming cruise based on the way they offer it, as compared to how much I would have consumed had they offered it in a more readily available and convenient manner. So compare the cost to the cruise line of the bagel and cream cheese that I will eat to the bagel, cream cheese and lox that I would have eaten. Maybe the difference is only $0.15 (though I suspect it's even higher than that). Multiply that by tens of thousands of passengers over the course of several years who will make the same choice that I'll be making, and the corporate manager who had the idea of removing smoked salmon from the room service menu deserves a $10,000 bonus.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Obviously I haven't read all of the replies in this thread. Again as I said it doesn't need to be smoked salmon that gets added to the menu (do they even offer it any longer on Lido?), it could be some other form of protein. As for the personal lox eating habits of the American public I am clueless as I don't eat it, but I don't think the consumption would be as great as you think it would be. In any event it would only be an extra expense if they had to actually purchase more of it for each ship, which could be controlled by not purchasing it and if they run out they tell passengers trying to order it that they've run out. I didn't even look at the room service menu on our last sailing as I much prefer brining back breakfast in bed to DW. I score more points that way.:D

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

I think my point is that it cant be hard to add a boiled egg to the room service breakfast offerings. Nothing extra required in the way of preparation, they are already made for the buffet.

As for those who suggest just going on up to the lido, well yes, that is what I usually do, but just because it is vacation, and a time for some much needed and deserved rest, it would be nice to linger in my cabin a bit longer before venturing out.

Also the blt idea/bacon wont work for me since I no longer eat pork. No problem though will just go on up to lido, or I might just try writing it in, and see if that works. No big deal though. Just thought it would be nice to have some added protein choices.

....but this isn't auto parts. You can't assume just by removing the item from one method of availability it automatically saves money. The person who can't order the smoked salmon bagel from room service may instead go to the dining room and order one to go along with the filet mignon and eggs or any other variety of food which increase the overall cost. The person is going to eat, limiting the availability of one item forces them to find other items which may have a equal or higher overall cost.

Obviously I haven't read all of the replies in this thread.
Not a problem. I'm happy to reiterate what I wrote earlier.

Again as I said it doesn't need to be smoked salmon that gets added to the menu (do they even offer it any longer on Lido?), it could be some other form of protein.
Whatever would be added would still be something added. Protein generally costs more than carbohydrates and so making protein less conveniently accessible has the effect that I explained above.

As for the personal lox eating habits of the American public I am clueless as I don't eat it, but I don't think the consumption would be as great as you think it would be.
I think you are greatly underestimated the penchant of Americans, especially those who live in the Northeast and along the west coast, with regard to smoke salmon consumption during cruises. I think you're also greatly underestimated the number of passengers that cruise on the cruise line over the course of several years. The whole point of the mass Market that you don't make all that much money on each individual unit but rather you make big money on volume. It works the same way with cost reductions. You make big money on volume.

In any event it would only be an extra expense if they had to actually purchase more of it for each ship, which could be controlled by not purchasing it and if they run out they tell passengers trying to order it that they've run out.

Only a limited number of people read Cruise Critic. There are the only ones who are going to get into a tizzy about these reductions. Most other folks are just going to take it in stride with it having a relatively minor impact on them, or they're relatively new Cruisers and won't even know what they're missing. By comparison if there is something that the ship runs out of that's going to be a constant reminder to every passenger who checks that check box on the menu and is then disappointed when breakfast arrives the next morning. It is far better from a customer satisfaction standpoint to not promise something and not deliver it than to promise something and not deliver it.

....but this isn't auto parts. You can't assume just by removing the item from one method of availability it automatically saves money.
Of course not. That's why you have operations researchers and Market researchers.

The person is going to eat, limiting the availability of one item forces them to find other items which may have a equal or higher overall cost.
or a lower overall cost. Lower. And how do you know this? See above.

Not only would more items on the menu result in more orders, it would also require additional crew to deliver and pick up the trays.

I would be happy to just have trays picked up quickly. There should be at least 2 people with carts who do nothing but patrol the corridors picking up trays.

I usually go to the Lido in the morning and grab a couple of HB eggs and a yogurt to take back to the cabin. I also grab a bowl and a cup of ice to put in the fridge and keep everything cool. That way, I can have a snack available without waiting for room service.

I also do that with deli sandwiches, I just ask for them to not have any dressing on them. I take baggies and a small assortment of condiments that I either order from Minimus.biz or pick up at the QuikTrip.

It's not more items if they put BACK the smoked salmon they removed last year? LOL - they seemed to have no problem with it on the continental breakfast room service menu for a very long long time....and it is actually NOT available on the Lido buffet for breakfast (only in MDR) .

..and as for the poster who mentioned there are 17 grams of protein in the yogurt serving? Would love to know where they got this information? I know of no yogurt with that high of a yogurt count except a 'large' serving of greek yogurt - which I don't think is available onboard?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456301&highlight=room+service+menu

In the above thread there is a copy of the room service menu, there is a turkey, ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly sandwich available 24 hours. You might try ordering some of those for breakfast and just eat the part you like. Also cereal and milk have protein.

I was told (on Princess) that the room service galley is seperate from the other galleys. So you only get the items stocked for that galley. Yes life would be nice if they had your boiled egg but then there would be someone else's breakfast request.

Personally BLT or the ham and cheese works for me but usually go to the buffet area.

There are 17 grams of protein in a container of yogurt. I order two containers and early in the cruise before the ships storeroom depletes its stock I also order a banana.

But yogurt is not an option if you are allergic to dairy products!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456301&highlight=room+service+menu

I was told (on Princess) that the room service galley is seperate from the other galleys. So you only get the items stocked for that galley. Yes life would be nice if they had your boiled egg but then there would be someone else's breakfast request.

That is what I was thinking. How big is the galley where the room service comes from? Is there a separate one for room service? That might have a lot to do with how much they can offer.

It's not more items if they put BACK the smoked salmon they removed last year?
You are working too hard to avoid understanding why the cruise line does what it does.

But yogurt is not an option if you are allergic to dairy products!

I was addressing the OP who stated they eat cottage cheese and for whom dairy would not be an issue. Unless otherwise stated or someone hijacks a thread or carries on a personal chat unrelated to the OP thread posts are for the attention of the OP.

Unless otherwise stated or someone hijacks a thread or carries on a personal chat unrelated to the OP thread posts are for the attention of the OP.
I've been here over a decade and that's never been the case. Threads have always been for everyone's attention. When did it change and who announced it?

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

I think my point is that it cant be hard to add a boiled egg to the room service breakfast offerings. Nothing extra required in the way of preparation, they are already made for the buffet.

I hope you are not talking about those deep fried boiled eggs.

I do not think Carnival is too concerned about food waste. We order room service for a family of three using the hanger. Each of us requested separate items but they sent us three of everything. Another time I order a Rubin with only half the meat- they doubled it.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

You are assuming every cabin has a refrigerator. Many don't, and most to them do not even provide a moderate chill.

Sorry! I've been on 21 cruises and have had a fridge in every cabin. BTW we leave the outer door to the cabinet open whenever we leave the cabin. It helps cool the fridge down immensely. The cabin steward will close it but we just open it again. Thats just a tip for others.

Sorry! I've been on 21 cruises and have had a fridge in every cabin. BTW we leave the outer door to the cabinet open whenever we leave the cabin. It helps cool the fridge down immensely. The cabin steward will close it but we just open it again. Thats just a tip for others.

I have been on several ships with no fridges and will be on the Paradise in December - no fridge in cabin :( ... will use ice bucket to cool water bottles as required! (and I agree - definitely keeping door open helps with the cooling!).

You should go on m:Dre . All Carnival ships cabins don't have fridges.

We use morning room service as a wake up call. We have some coffee, juice and danish on the balcony and the go out to real breakfast later.

We do the same. We go to the dining room every morning.