What are your favorite dishes?

SpaceGirl

The portions are smaller than your typical American oversized piles you find at most land restaurant...and because they are cooking in volume and not to order, you aren't wasting anything! Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the leftovers become fish food and go right back to the earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's true, but since I'm short, I get to eat less food than anybody else if I don't want to blow up like a balloon. As it is, I normally don't eat three meals (I'm usually not hungry enough for dinner), but I plan to on this trip, since everything is covered. I don't anticipate that I'll be that hungry for dinner, so I'll really be making myself eat something when I likely won't be hungry. Although, since dinner's at 8:30, who knows!

I've not been on the Ruby but have been on her sister ships. The pub lunch has always been in the Wheelhouse Bar or the Crown Grill and it has been held twice per a week long or 10 day cruise around noon.

I get that about canned tuna ... either you love it or you don't. I love it! I could just open a can for dinner and mix it up with mayo and celery ... I am happy, happy, happy! hahaha! Anyway, those sandwiches they have in the International Cafe are pretty good....their bread is just excellent! Heaven knows, I try to stay away from it but it gets me every time. And, those crab cakes were really good ... just not sure if it was offered while up in Alaska.

I am not sure if they've shown the Titanic on a cruise ... good question, though. It would be like showing 'Snakes on a Plane' during a cross country flight ... creepy! We watched The Martian while snacking on crab cakes ... this was just this past summer.

Ewwwwww, on the tuna with celery! See, I think that's probably why I dislike canned tuna, though. I despise both celery and sweet pickles, and both are usually in canned tuna. I might possibly be able to stomach it if it came without celery and the pickles, but who knows. Don't really want to take my chances! I'm sure there are other good panini sandwiches with the yummy bread in there!

If you love salads, the buffet on Princess has the best salad bar afloat, bar none. That's my lunch nearly every day aboard. It may be weird, but the salad bar is frequently what I'll most look forward to as I'm getting ready to cruise!

If you love salads, the buffet on Princess has the best salad bar afloat, bar none. That's my lunch nearly every day aboard. It may be weird, but the salad bar is frequently what I'll most look forward to as I'm getting ready to cruise!

I completely agree!

If I had my way, I'd have salad bar for dinner, but it looks like all of the good stuff is being served at dinner, not lunch.

I love the Fettuccini Alfredo and I frequently request an appetizer size portion. That stuff is addictive.

For dessert I love the warm soufflés ( any of them).

I'm not an Alfredo person myself (though I'll definitely try it, because I don't dislike it), but I'll pass that along to my companion, who LOVES Fettuccini Alfredo!

We enjoy the wonderful scones with jam and "clotted" cream (Princess version). They are served at afternoon tea, usually in a MDR at 3:30-4:30. They are so good.

Thank you! Will definitely put that on my to-try list!

I don't get to eat a lot of salmon at home as the boys don't like it. I tend to order salmon every second night in the MDR.

I love that we all get to eat what we love when on a cruise, just adds on to a fab holiday!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I don't get to eat a lot of salmon at home as the boys don't like it. I tend to order salmon every second night in the MDR.

I love that we all get to eat what we love when on a cruise, just adds on to a fab holiday!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Two of our excursions include salmon bakes, so I'm so looking forward to that!

This is just my opinion and I am sure others we disagree. But the chefs on Princess tend to be Italian and I have found their Italian choices to be a step above what I would have expected. Likewise, many chefs on Carnival are Indian and their Indian food is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not so much anymore.....

Bob

Sadly, many of my favorite dishes are no longer on the menu. I haven't seen Gambieri ala Fra. Diavolo for several years. My husband is a very picky eater. He has always been happy with the food on Princess ships. The menu will vary through the week. Every evening there will be a beef entree, a fish entree, possibly chicken or pork, and always a pasta alternative. Nothing on the menu scares my husband, though he usually orders beef. The food is always best on formal nights, so I advise you to dress and enjoy. The signature dessert is a chocolate mousse called "The Love Boat Dream", available every night. Their special chocolate desserts on formal nights are amazing.

I think most early diners will sneak up to the Lido deck to get seconds around 10:00 PM. Later diners might want to consider tea in the afternoon.

The Ruby is a great ship... sure you will enjoy it. We are long time Princess cruisers... so we now go to the Crown Grill most nights... fits our style, quiet place to have - the up charge is well worth it to us. Even though you are on a budget, would recommend it if you can afford to try it once. You mention you like fish, they have a sea bass dish that is excellent... when I am on board, I alternate between the sea bass and other menu items, another fish ont he menu is a shrimp sautee, other favorites are the lamb chops, veal chop, beef filet... have a great time. We do breakfast in our cabin again because we enjoy the peace and quiet... leave our balcony door open and can listen to the sea over breakfast. Very relaxing.

I'm a foodie, so I'm getting excited about eating on my first cruise (Ruby)! What are some of your favorite dishes, whether it be from the main dining room, buffet, or other places that is not specialty? We are on a budget, so we won't be going to any of the specialty places. I'm not a picky eater, but I won't eat things like liver, etc., and I absolutely adore seafood (will likely eat it most meals, but I'm open to chicken, beef, and vegetarian dishes, as well). I don't like chicken that's on the bone or cottage cheese, and I like all vegetables except celery (unless it's cooked and in a stew or pot pie; I just don't like it raw or on its own). Any suggestions are helpful, and it doesn't matter if it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

The prawn salads in the IC are delicious

I initially thought the Wellington sounded good, until I saw pictures of it and found that it tends to be cooked rare, and I don't like my meat cooked rare. That's one of the few things I'm picky about; red meat just grosses me out. I'm sure my friend I'm traveling with will get it, so if he does, I'll likely try some of his and order something else.

You can ask for a well done or medium well piece.

On the second day, in the main dining room, they serve filet of sole for lunch. It is not to be missed. One of the best meals I've ever had at sea. Also the pistachio pudding at the international cafe is wonderful.