I've just been offered the chance to downgrade from balcony to inside - new on on me.

Scotraveller

Many years ago discovered I was claustrophobic in an inside cabin from Plymouth to Bilbao so not for me!!

My parents used to put me in the trunk of the car if there weren't any empty seats in the car, so an inside cabin is not a problem for me, no exhaust fumes now either!

If only I could get an offer like the OP I would snatch their hands off.

My parents used to put me in the trunk of the car if there weren't any empty seats in the car, so an inside cabin is not a problem for me, no exhaust fumes now either!

oh I hope you are kidding about the trunk thing! and if not ... YIKES!

Yes, not happy.

They came back to the TA this morning confirming the amount, TA immediately called them back to say I accepted and they said it was too late. It really was a matter of minutes.

I'm angry but well, I'm no worse off than I was at this time yesterday!

But still feel like I've had £1000.00 stolen from me at the same time.

Hey ho, I'll just have to count the days now until I'm sitting on my balcony and learn that if this happens again I act even quicker! I don't see how that's possible, but ho hum.

Thanks for all your thoughts good people, always nice to get other opinions.

:rolleyes:

Bummer!! That is the downside to booking direct :( sorry you didn't catch the deal, but I'm sure you will still have a fabulous time!!

Mr. Griller,

I thought I was the only one to ride in the trunk of the family car. My parents took me for a ride every Sunday.

I was put in the trunk and let out about 1 or 2 hrs later. I always found my way home. :)

Tony

yeah my parents did this to me too however they would yell NOW at me when I had to hold two wires together to light the brake lights up .............. and do not get me started onwhat I had to do when we were turning a corner !!!

I just got email from my TA with the change to another cruise offer.

note: we are traveling with another couple who booked direct with Princess and they did not get ANY offer.

Our rooms are side by side ( they are Elite and we are not)

will call TA back this morning, we are not changing cruises but will inquire about downgrading offer to inside,

Issues to ask, what happens to my present $1100 in OBC, that answer will make my decision. inside room location also an issue to be considered.

Agree that you have to be ready to act fast on any offers from a cruise line. A couple of years ago we were traveling with friends and both got attractive move over offers via phone through our TA. I said yes right away, and my friend called her husband at work to discuss. They decided to accept and called the TA back about an hour later, but the cruise line said they already had enough people accept so it was no longer available. They were bummed.

I too found "Moveover" concept novel, so thought I would put my 2 cents worth in!

I'm booked on Diamond Princess ex Tokyo on 5 September and was offered a moveover on 26 July by email worded in an urgent manner to effect that Princess was doing me a favour and if I didn't act fast I'd "miss out".

Compensation was 100% fares OBC (as refundable OB credit) plus 50% credit of current cruise fare value towards a future cruise with Princess.

On advice from a phone call to their Customer Solutions who were closed for day and call handled by another dept:

1 no club amenities were transferrable to inside stateroom,

2 no stateroom reallocation info available,

3 future cruise credit of current cruise minus all taxes.

4 Travel Agents get a $200 refund but if you have booked yourself, this refund does not apply.

Would you move from a mini suite with club amenities to an inside stateroom? Needless to say, I declined.

I suspect Customer Solutions may be more appropriately re-monikered to "Princess Overbooking Problems".

I could understand a moveover from mini suite to balcony or suite to balcony however I'm astounded with mini suite to inside stateroom.

Each time we book a cruise we always select our own stateroom after careful consideration of deck plans. No Guarantee staterooms for us.

Ditto!!

Tony

Lesson learned - I need to jump faster!

I'm still annoyed - if someone had said "Tell us immediately or no deal" I would have said yes, but they let me go and check with my travel buddy and 5 minutes later it had gone.

I actually cancelled a future cruise on Princess and moved to RCI I was so angry and told them I wouldn't consider them in the future. It was a low deposit one so not a huge deal and I just wanted them to know how I felt. RCI and Celebrity for me from now on then I reckon.

Harsh? I know, it sounds it, but seriously I feel like they said one minute "here's £1000" and a couple of minutes later said "only kidding!".

As I say, lesson learned though! Grab it!:loudcry:

I tried that, but it was the title and I couldn't seem to change that

Quick tip. If you use the CC branded app you can change the title for a limited amount of time, even if you created the thread on internet explorer or safari.

That one is new on me also.

Doing it for years and years... if you are booked through a TA the email will go directly to him/her now sometimes I'd say the agency doesn't see the offer for a couple of days they may not call you cause it probably is already gone, but if you are open to move overs you should tell your agent and they seem to be a little quicker to keep their eye out for you for these special act now emails

I have looked to see if there is a thread relevant to downgrades, but I can only see old ones, so thought I would start afresh. I've had a call asking if I would downgrade from balcony to inside and get a refund of my whole cruise fare - minus taxes - as onboard credit.

First of all, I can't see me spending all that in 7 days - I would get liver failure apart from anything else trying to spend all that in the bars! Does anyone have any experience of this? Do you think they would let me split it over my next two cruises or refund the balance at the end?

I'm just waiting on Princess working out the exact amount, but I'm sure I'll do it, just looking for any similar experiences. Thanks!

Really quite strange I thought. You're not in a handicap room are you? We were in one on the Queen Victoria. The room(for obvious reasons)was much larger than a standard balcony cabin. We were informed that should a person with "needs" require that room, we'd be forced to vacate(in advance of the cruise, however)Cunard said they'd not upgrade, but try to offer similar accommodations. Lucky for us we didn't have to move.

I have looked to see if there is a thread relevant to downgrades, but I can only see old ones, so thought I would start afresh. I've had a call asking if I would downgrade from balcony to inside and get a refund of my whole cruise fare - minus taxes - as onboard credit.

First of all, I can't see me spending all that in 7 days - I would get liver failure apart from anything else trying to spend all that in the bars! Does anyone have any experience of this? Do you think they would let me split it over my next two cruises or refund the balance at the end?

I'm just waiting on Princess working out the exact amount, but I'm sure I'll do it, just looking for any similar experiences. Thanks!

Wow that's a new one on me and I have been on a lot of cruises. I am not sure that an inside cabin would work for me even for a free cruise

We haven't personally seen this happen to us, nor have we been offered a move over which cancels the current booking and the offer to re-book another voyage with some perks. Now that I've said that.......we'll probably get the offer.

Normally we book with accepting an upgrade. We don't book any with a Gty., unless it's a situation where we can't pick a cabin and it's assigned to us before sailing.

I guess we would take a Move Down if it were a voyage shorter than 10 days and it was port intensive. Otherwise, we love our balcony and daylight.

Update:

Princess have emailed 2 days ago after comm blackout offering same PLUS 100% current cruise credit effectively meaning double cost outlay returned.

Amazing! I wonder why our mini suite is so sought after?

my first princess was a short 4 day california coastal. we live in LA, so we like these little cruises. they offered me a change to the cruise the week after and fare as refundable OBC. we totally did it. barely used any obc because i didn't need any excursions and we don't gamble. it was nice.

• 3 weeks later...

SO, I'm currently on pins and needles - but realizing I think I'm out of luck. We sail on the Royal Princess on 09/02 and yesterday they emailed my TA with an offer for me to downgrade to an inside cabin and the full cost of my cruise would be converted to refundable on-board credit. Yesterday, I didn't know such a scenario existed, and today I'm so bummed I think I missed out! She called the number about 2 hours after the email came in, and here it is over 24 hours later and they haven't responded "yay" or "nay". How long do they normally take to get back to people?