Goodie bag ideas needed

kcbmarek

We are taking my MIL and her friend with us on the Israel / Greece itinerary on the Silhouette in October. Both my MIL and her friend are in their 80's and still very mobile. Since this will probably be their last big trip in their lives, DH and I want to make this special for them. We planning on having our concierge on the Silhouette deliver goodie bags to their cabin. Custom shirts and water bottles are being done as well as a custom "anchor" bag. We were also thinking about putting snacks in the bags for them. Looking for other things to insert, hence looking for some ideas. Anyone be able to assist with ideas?

TIA -

Not sure if you'll need snacks! A fancy lanyard for their seapass card? Some mardi gras beads with matching feather boas . . . Some awesome magnets to hang stuff on their cabin walls - for paper (schedules, activities), and even for hanging hats/sweaters/coats/etc. A high lighter pen so they keep track of all the fun.

What a nice idea!

Folding cloth storage baskets, available at Dollar Tree. I get a rectangular one that is the size to hold papers, and a small square one for cameras, brushes, sunglasses, etc. They really help keep things from getting cluttered. Since it is October you can also find battery operated lights that are Halloween themed.

Compact binoculars, simple digital camera. Both much more affordable than a few years ago.

In our experience our elderly relatives have enjoyed 'reliving' the experience post vacation as much as the vacation itself. So maybe a photo package or offer to download their photos to a digital photo frame post cruise...

Wow, Tia would you consider adopting me!! What a lovely thing for you to do! Don't know how long your flight is or what your financial situation is, so I'll start with something outrageous....instead of a goody bag upgrade them to business class or surprise them with a massage or mani/pedi before or during the cruise.

I always bring a couple of sheets of bubble wrap in case I buy something fragile. Considering their ages and their physical agility notwithstanding, I might suggest a walking stick with a seat attached (Magellan's has them for golfers) mine is a Godsend because if I'm walking and get tired I can just pull down the seat and rest a few minutes. It's very light weight and is considered medical aide on the plane so you don't have to pay extra for it. A small instant camera; OBC for dinner in one of the specialty restaurants (although I don't really think it's worth the price)...or to buy whatever they want in the shopping arcade. I also would bring or include lip balm; a soothing foot cream or gel and 2-4 large plastic clothes pins....and a diary so they can write everything down that they want to remember! Have a wonderful time....Greece is amazing.

I would put some cute nightshirts in and maybe a pair of slippers or flip flops. If they are into crossword puzzles maybe a book of those. Maybe a couple of small travel books.

Puffs Plus pocket packs. Convenient and great for your nose if you have allergies or catch a cold.

Magnetic hangers for the walls to hang wet swim suits/coverups

Colorful duct tape. Great for any emergency (banging drawers, loose hems, torn suitcases) And just fun to say you have some. lol

Wide rubber bands to hold down the On switch for the blow dryer

I try and take them all by my don't leave home without it is 1 package of Puffs Plus per day of the cruise. Last cruise I make a new friend by giving her 4 pkgs.. She had caught a dreadful cold and her nose was very red from using the cheap stuff in the cabin.

Sounds like you and they are going to have a great cruise!

Carol

I always take a set of 4 strong magnetic hooks that we hang in the shower for wet swimsuits and some twine for a clothesline. Also those large towel clips come in handy to hang stuff. The other thing we like to bring is a USB charging port in case they are charging multiple phones/tablets/kindles. Since the nightstands on the S-class ships don't have drawers we bring foldable packing cubes that we sit on the shelves to store things. We also use larger ones to place in the over the bed storage cabinet. I've found them in the dollar stores. They come in lots of sizes and are really easy to pack.

Careful if you take up all the ideas you will need an additional suitcase and a further 23kg baggage allowance. LOL. If you go to the X website they can arrange a number of gifts for you like chocolate covered strawberries, fine wine extra OBC. One doesn't need too many extras as being with family will be most important

We are taking my MIL and her friend with us on the Israel / Greece itinerary on the Silhouette in October. Both my MIL and her friend are in their 80's and still very mobile........ Anyone be able to assist with ideas?
If they are bringing a laptop or tablet along, it would be helpful to pre-load it with files of info about the ship and the ports you will be visiting and any tours you are planning to take, as well as appropriate maps, (and bookmarks to online websites, if they will have internet access).

Include a folder with files on their device (that do not require web access) with your own notes about the various things that will be available for them to see and do, both on and off the ship

If they have any health related problems, relevant health information that is readily accessible would be appropriate too.

If you also store it at a cloud location, or even email it, it will then be accessible from almost any location, even when they do not have the device on which it is stored available.

That way they don't need to carry around pages of info about their medications, doctors, health insurance, etc. wherever they go.

It would be even better to set it all up for them ahead of time so they can browse through it in advance in anticipation of the trip, and familiarize themselves with it, especially the layout of the ship, which can be overwhelming at first for someone who is not already familiar with it.

Links to websites with photos or videos of the Silhouette would be helpful, such as this one, for example.

Celebrity Silhouette Photo Tour page 1

Just in case they are not already following Cruise Critic and the roll call for their cruise, it would be nice to give them bookmarks to both, as well as to the port of call forums for the locations you will be visiting.

Even though they are still very mobile, it may be a good idea for them to conserve their energy by using the wheelchair assistance provided at cruise ports for embarkation and disembarkation, especially if they are bringing carry-on luggage that they don't want to check.

Although I know from personal family experience that some older people can be very resistant to the idea of using a wheelchair as a matter of pride, a good selling point is that if they conserve their energy and do not wear themselves out in boarding, they will then be able to enjoy exploring the ship once they are on board.

They don't need to bring a night light for the bathroom. The bathrooms already have them.

But a small flashlight on the nightstand is very handy for anyone if you wake up in the middle of the night and need to look for something (e.g., medication, an extra blanket, the thermostat to adjust the temperature, a drink of water) without needing to turn on lights and wake up your roommate.

A light from a cellphone can be used for that purpose too.

Do let them know about ordering room service breakfast, even if they only want a cup of tea or coffee to wake up before heading out to breakfast elsewhere on the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise! It should be a very memorable one for all of you.

A nice little hand held fan, and perhaps some small luxury toiletry items? I always treat myself to something that smells of coconut or orange especially for holiday.

Mini binoculars, a nice diamante lanyard holder, (who doesn't love a bit of bling?)

What a lovely idea, I hope you all have a wonderful cruise.

I took my mom on her last cruise in 2014 with my sister and niece. I gave a gift bag per day. Here is what I did- and it did add some weight to the suite case :)

day 1- Embarkation day: gift bag with everyone's favorite snacks (candy, popcorn, gum, small cans pringles etc)- travel games/cards

day 2- day of makeup products- fave makeup and skincare products

day 3- matching bracelets/jewelry for formal night

day 4 beach day- gift bag with lotion, lip balm, sunscreen, aloe etc

day 5: perfume- each person got their favorite perfume

day 6: matching family bracelets

day 7: debarkation- ship memorabilia- ornament and fridge magnet

I sent my other niece who could not join us for the trip all of the above so she received a gift box the week we were gone.

also, we had upgraded to a royal suite which was perfect with the bath and a half. the dining room table worked perfectly for playing games and eating when we did not feel like leaving the cabin. we had 2 scooters so the extra space worked perfectly.

Mom (passed away 5/7/17 :(.) was on oxygen. Care vacations did a nice job. We also rented scooter for my sister who has MS (mom had her own scooter) and celebrity was able to put a raised toilet seat in second bathroom for mom and a bath chair in the shower. It was a lot of work but worth the effort.

Lastly I held an "open house" for fellow cc'ers to come and see the cabin. Mom was counting and said we had over 80 people come visit. Many sat and chatted with her which made her. It was one of her favorite things that cruise. meeting new people and showing off her cabin.

I miss....enjoy the precious time you have with you mom.

amy

Edited by H2OH!