tipping in euros?

jojo1966

When we go on a cruise,DH & I bring $2.00 bills.( brand new), give to all in crew,most keep as good luck,some spend,always get smiles,I have seen others do same,it's up to you !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately I can't just walk into walk into my local bank and buy $2 notes.

Good thing, staff hate them. They think they're fake.

I read that same thing. Also that they get lower exchange rates for them since the currency conversion outlets are less familiar with them. No Susan B. Anthony dollar coins either. These $2 bills and dollar coins (i would imagine the euro coins are much different, since there aren't bills of those denominations) are cute for the tipper but do little or nothing for the tipee, IMO.

I also read that in the conventional denominations, brand new bills are most appreciated because they get the best exchange rate, while worn or ripped bills get lower exhange rates.

It´s not that crew wouldn´t appreciate tips in local currency which they can use on land. It´s just that coins are not really appreciated. So for small tips like for a drink or room service I´d suggest to use dollar bills. Sure they can go out and they do shop and don´t sent 100 % of their tips back home. But imagine you get 20 1 Euro coins as tips per day... What are you going to do with this? Pay for the cholocate you buy in Warnemünde at the supermarket and block the cashier for half an hour counting the coins (BTW, in Germany they can refuse accepting coins in certain cases)?

Warnemünde is a good example... There´s an EDEKA supermarket close by and the crew loves the German chocolate. So those crew members who get some hours off do take orders. They do buy a lot of chocolate and the supermarket has to restock the shelves every hour. I don´t think the supermarket will be very happy to have a crew member paying with 100 1 Euro coins...

And yes, the crew members who have some time off to go ashore are happy to get local currency. On our Oasis TA we had only one stop in Malaga. First stop for about 5 weeks in Europe for the crew. We did ask our cabin steward whether he can get out and whether he already has some Euro. First answer was yes, second no. So we gave him a good amount and he was so happy not needing to spend time to change money. But this was a bill of course ;-)!

steamboats

It´s not that crew wouldn´t appreciate tips in local currency which they can use on land. It´s just that coins are not really appreciated. So for small tips like for a drink or room service I´d suggest to use dollar bills. Sure they can go out and they do shop and don´t sent 100 % of their tips back home. But imagine you get 20 1 Euro coins as tips per day... What are you going to do with this? Pay for the cholocate you buy in Warnemünde at the supermarket and block the cashier for half an hour counting the coins (BTW, in Germany they can refuse accepting coins in certain cases)?

Warnemünde is a good example... There´s an EDEKA supermarket close by and the crew loves the German chocolate. So those crew members who get some hours off do take orders. They do buy a lot of chocolate and the supermarket has to restock the shelves every hour. I don´t think the supermarket will be very happy to have a crew member paying with 100 1 Euro coins...

And yes, the crew members who have some time off to go ashore are happy to get local currency. On our Oasis TA we had only one stop in Malaga. First stop for about 5 weeks in Europe for the crew. We did ask our cabin steward whether he can get out and whether he already has some Euro. First answer was yes, second no. So we gave him a good amount and he was so happy not needing to spend time to change money. But this was a bill of course ;-)!

steamboats

A lot of the crew are based in Europe for 6 months a year. Many of the crew are from Europe. Many of the passengers whilst the ship is in Europe will be from Europe (Ex UK sailings typically we've been told on board 70-80% are from the UK). The ship currency is in US dollars but is actually cashless. The Euro and £ are still major trading currencies. It makes no financial sense to many European travellers to purchase US currency in notes solely for the purpose if tipping.

A lot of the crew are based in Europe for 6 months a year. Many of the crew are from Europe. Many of the passengers whilst the ship is in Europe will be from Europe (Ex UK sailings typically we've been told on board 70-80% are from the UK). The ship currency is in US dollars but is actually cashless. The Euro and £ are still major trading currencies. It makes no financial sense to many European travellers to purchase US currency in notes solely for the purpose if tipping.

I totally agree. I never said you shouldn´t tip in Euro on a cruise out of Europe going to Euro countries. I said that using Euro coins (same for GBP) for small tips isn´t a good idea. Crew can easily exchange the Euro/Pound bills onboard but not the coins. I know that crew members are asking passenger to give them a change to get rid of coins.

steamboats

I totally agree. I never said you shouldn´t tip in Euro on a cruise out of Europe going to Euro countries. I said that using Euro coins (same for GBP) for small tips isn´t a good idea. Crew can easily exchange the Euro/Pound bills onboard but not the coins. I know that crew members are asking passenger to give them a change to get rid of coins.

steamboats

The lowest denomination notes is £5 and 5 Euro. There has never been (I think) a 1 Euro note and the £1 note ceased to be legal tender in 1988.

The crew might not like it but on European cruises (where tipping isn't exactly customary in many countries) they're going to get coins from many passengers. I can't see many people routinely tipping £5 for the delivery of a small room service order. Many people I suspect a small tip is less than £5.

The lowest denomination notes is £5 and 5 Euro. There has never been (I think) a 1 Euro note and the £1 note ceased to be legal tender in 1988.

The crew might not like it but on European cruises (where tipping isn't exactly customary in many countries) they're going to get coins from many passengers. I can't see many people routinely tipping £5 for the delivery of a small room service order. Many people I suspect a small tip is less than £5.

yep....totally agree....i have no intention of tipping £5 or €5 each time. (not when Ive already paid nearly £400 in tips already)..and I won't have dollars - as once we buy them we are stuck with them, or else we lose a fortune when we change them back to pounds....so unfortunately its going to be euro coins they get from me for room service....if they don't like them they can always refuse the tip :)