tipping in euros?

jojo1966

hi

I know I saw a thread that mentioned ad hoc tipping in euros would be ok on a baltic cruise as the staff could change them in the bank onboard or something...but would it be ok to tip in coins? we've already prepaid our main tips, but am just thinking about if we have room service or anything and I just want to tip the odd euro or 2, but minimum note is obviously 5 euros - dont want to be tipping that much on top of the statutory tips i've paid - so are coins ok does anyone know??

Give your foreign coins to charity and you wouldn't offend anyone that way .......!

For all we know, Euros could be the OP's home currency. Or they could be British, Canadian, Australian, etc. If their home currency isn't USD it would be inconvenient to change money just for a couple of room service tips, especially if they already have a pocket full of Euros.

We tip extra with currency we have left that we had brought with us. If I have leftover Euro's the crew can use it on the next cruise, as they get time off the ship and go shopping to buy necessities. So no matter what currency you leave, they will use it or can exchange it with another crew member. I had purchased minimum $50US in every foreign currency from home before we left. I used what we had to give tips to the tour guide in that country, or left it for our cabin attendant.

We tip in pounds and euro coins for room service on Med Cruises. Whilst the ship might be in US dollars it's cashless, so for us on a Med Cruise and travelling from the UK it makes no sense to change money into Dollars purely for the purpose if tipping. We prepay gratuities so the amount we tip extra in cash is very small.

Thanks for all the useful replies....and to the one who said put spare coins in charity....they're not spare. ..I would be deliberately taking 1 euro coins because I can get hold of some of them...but can't get hold of 1 dollar notes anywhere...never thought about using 1 pound coins as I assumed euros would be more useful than pounds.

Thanks for all the useful replies....and to the one who said put spare coins in charity....they're not spare. ..I would be deliberately taking 1 euro coins because I can get hold of some of them...but can't get hold of 1 dollar notes anywhere...never thought about using 1 pound coins as I assumed euros would be more useful than pounds.

If the cruise is ex Southampton the crew are back in the U.K. Every 7-10 days. Might be less popular on cruises not originating in the UK

Euros would definitely be more useful that GBP anywhere around Europe.

Assuming you are going on a 'Baltic' cruise, the countries that generally have ports of call, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania and Finland all use the Euro.

My thought is that the crew can likely use any currency we give them. Many of them go to shore to purchase various needs, and others go to money transfer agents with their cash to wire it home. The transfer agent can handle any denomination we give them.

We tip in pounds and euro coins for room service on Med Cruises. Whilst the ship might be in US dollars it's cashless, so for us on a Med Cruise and travelling from the UK it makes no sense to change money into Dollars purely for the purpose if tipping. We prepay gratuities so the amount we tip extra in cash is very small.

Well said. The dollar on board a cruise ship in the EU is an artificial currency. There is no way we would change euros for dollars for incidental tips. No one so far refused our Euros.

Coins are not that much appreciated by crew members as they can only pay on land. But in case you have larger USD bills go to the reception desk and ask for a change to 1 USD bills.

steamboats

On European cruises 1 & 2 euro coins and 1 GBP coins (IDR if the UK has 2 pound coins) would be preferable to USD I would think.

Same for Asia and South American itineraries if those countries' coins equate to a $1 US bill. It makes more sense that tips be given in the currencies that can be spent by crew ashore.

On European cruises 1 & 2 euro coins and 1 GBP coins (IDR if the UK has 2 pound coins) would be preferable to USD I would think.

Same for Asia and South American itineraries if those countries' coins equate to a $1 US bill. It makes more sense that tips be given in the currencies that can be spent by crew ashore.

Actually no, as they can only spend it on land. But the crew members save their tips and send the money back home. BTW coins fill up your pockets pretty well ;-). Bills are easier to change. Onboard currency is USD too.

steamboats

Coins are not that much appreciated by crew members as they can only pay on land. But in case you have larger USD bills go to the reception desk and ask for a change to 1 USD bills.

steamboats

They can change them for notes. They are not idiots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Often see crew shopping in Southampton so I'm sure GBP would be appreciative

I would have thought room stewards, butlers etc would be unlikely to be able to get off the ship in the UK as other than a UK itinerary the only UK stop is turn around day.

I would have thought room stewards, butlers etc would be unlikely to be able to get off the ship in the UK as other than a UK itinerary the only UK stop is turn around day.

Maybe not room stewards or butlers but we always see crew on the boarding ramp with their bags of shopping

Room stewards do get off in the UK. They have their 'turn' on the schedule and get a couple of hours and often a half day. They also have the choice to leave the ship during their mid day break . Many choose to sleep though

in response to the comment saying that they all send their tips back home .. not true. they go shopping in ports . I have seen many coming back to the ship with bags . I always ask my room attendant which port day they have off and give the extra tip the that currency. They love to have money for treat in port.. even just a cold drink

soemtimes crew switch days off with others . In Lisbon ours traded his day so another could visit a religious site

When we go on a cruise,DH & I bring $2.00 bills.( brand new), give to all in crew,most keep as good luck,some spend,always get smiles,I have seen others do same,it's up to you !

Sent from my iPad using Forums