DVD player? Grand Cayman disembark time? Best place in Jamaica for excursion?

A few noobie questions.

Is there a way to hook a dvd player to the TV in your room?

Roughly what time can we disembark in Grand Cayman? I was trying to fit two scuba dives in is why I'm asking.

What is your favorite excursion, Carnival or on your own, in Jamaica? Some cruisers have told me to stay on the ship. :(

Thanks so much for your helpful information.

Cheers and Happy Cruising!

What ship are you on? DH has been able to use thumb drives on some TVs I believe.

You will need to look at port times for GC. It is a 5-7 min tender but there is often a wait to get off the ship as ship sponsored excursions generally go first. FTTF could help you here. I would assume you would be ashore within an hour of port time - the tour operators will adjust to accommodate if it is running late. For your return trip you need to be on board 30 min before departure. Lastly, be aware this is more of the common missed ports.

I will not do Jamaica on my own. It is a lovely island but I will always pre book a reputable tour provider. Some of the locals are pushy to the point of threatening and having a guy gives a buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll be on the Carnival Breeze in October.

Thank you kindly for responding.

Lastly, be aware this is more of the common missed ports.

I'll be extra careful. Thank you.

I've heard the tourist harassment in Jamaica is legendary. It must be awful because a number of people who have been there on a cruise tell me it's better to just stay on the boat. Heard positive things about Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Definitely do not stay on the ship in jamaica. It is a beautiful island. The food, music, and people are all terrific. There vendors are pushy. But it is a poor island and that is how they make their living. Just keep walking and say no thank you. A trip to Dunn River Falls is a lot of fun. You can climb the falls or just view the beautiful jungle scenery. We usually tour with Peat Taylor. He will customize the tour to your taste. All tours go to the falls. Try the river tubing. It's a blast. Peat keeps his people safe and gets you back to the ship in plenty of time. You can Google his name to find him. The tours are much smaller and much cheaper than the ship. Enjoy

I'll be extra careful. Thank you.

I've heard the tourist harassment in Jamaica is legendary. It must be awful because a number of people who have been there on a cruise tell me it's better to just stay on the boat. Heard positive things about Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Yes, being careful to be back on the ship on time is important but what the poster here meant was that they often miss GC (meaning the ship won't stop there) because of weather and/or sea conditions (wind, waves, etc).

If you do get off in Jamaica, please let me know what it's like. I'll be going there on my cruise in December (we're gong to Ocho Rios) and I'd love to know if it's as bad as they say and I should stay on the ship or not. Thanks in advance!! :D

They are too aggressive to get your attention. We took a private snorkeling tour in Jamaica for my kids.

in Jamaica we did the Bob Marley tour through carnival. it was good. the ride to nine mile on the bus is a little nerve racking driving through the mountains. i guess that is why they break out the rum punch as soon as you get on the bus. and that rum punch is strong, it tastes stronger than grain alcohol. the Bob Marley Compound is nice and even if you are just a casual listener to Bob Marley you will enjoy it. it did seem more commercial than i expected. on the ride up to the compound you stop at an outdoor bar to use the bathrooms and you get a free beef patty. on the way back to the ship you stop at the same bar and they grill jerk chicken for lunch. but you must know before booking this tour that smoking marijuana on the tour and on the grounds of the compound is allowed. so just know there will be a large amount of people smoking marijuana in your tour group from the ship. i think this surprised some people on our tour. i believe through carnival it is an 18 and older excursion.

in Jamaica we did the Bob Marley tour through carnival. it was good. the ride to nine mile on the bus is a little nerve racking driving through the mountains. i guess that is why they break out the rum punch as soon as you get on the bus. and that rum punch is strong, it tastes stronger than grain alcohol. the Bob Marley Compound is nice and even if you are just a casual listener to Bob Marley you will enjoy it. it did seem more commercial than i expected. on the ride up to the compound you stop at an outdoor bar to use the bathrooms and you get a free beef patty. on the way back to the ship you stop at the same bar and they grill jerk chicken for lunch. but you must know before booking this tour that smoking marijuana on the tour and on the grounds of the compound is allowed. so just know there will be a large amount of people smoking marijuana in your tour group from the ship. i think this surprised some people on our tour. i believe through carnival it is an 18 and older excursion.

We loved our Bob Marley bus tour!!!!!

If you're in Montego Bay, you can book an All-Inclusive excursion to the Hilton Rose Hall resort. I booked it through ResortForADay. It's a short bus ride from the port, and has 2 pools, one with waterslides and a lazy river and swim up bar, and all food and drinks included.

A few noobie questions.

Is there a way to hook a dvd player to the TV in your room?

Roughly what time can we disembark in Grand Cayman? I was trying to fit two scuba dives in is why I'm asking.

What is your favorite excursion, Carnival or on your own, in Jamaica? Some cruisers have told me to stay on the ship. :(

Thanks so much for your helpful information.

Cheers and Happy Cruising!

DVD, Carnival does not allow you to change the source on the remote. Youtube has some go arounds

We always tour privately, especially diving. In Jamaica we took a bus to a beach with beautiful water, massages, and some pretty good jerk chicken. TripAdvisor is an excellent source for private tours.

I am also a scuba diver and do not miss the famous Cayman Wall, awesome. A heads up on private tours, they are very safe just look for good reviews. They all know the time you arrive and the challenges of tenders. They do this everyday and their livelihood depends on you being satisfied. The big difference is you will have to take a taxi to the scuba shop, no biggie. A two tank dive is only 2-3 hours so time is not an issue. Generally CCL will be at least $30pp higher with too many people.

If you're in Montego Bay, you can book an All-Inclusive excursion to the Hilton Rose Hall resort. I booked it through ResortForADay. It's a short bus ride from the port, and has 2 pools, one with waterslides and a lazy river and swim up bar, and all food and drinks included.

An excellent suggestion for a beach day. The Rose Hall was not available when we were in Montego Bay (they were sold out for Easter Week and were not taking day passes). Our travel agent suggested we book the Grand Palladium through resortforaday. We had a blast. The facility was really nice, the drinks were plentiful, and the buffet lunch was tasty. We were also the only ones from the ship going to the resort, so we had a whole mini-bus to ourselves!

dctravel

My friend did Dunn's River Falls and I'm nothing but jealous

[YOUTUBE]NHBMVsRJSRI[/YOUTUBE]