Internet onboard Equinox

Cebse

First time cruise for us sailing on Equinox from Miami around Eastern Caribbean. First thing we noticed was the price for Internet for our 8 night cruise £172 wow. Why is it so expensive for internet?Any other info or advice for first time cruisers would be greatly appreciated.

My advice would be - unless you absolutely must be connected every day, don't worry about it. In each port in the Caribbean, you will be able to find some place with either free internet (most often) or internet for a very low price per hour. Sometimes stores will give you their internet connection password if you are shopping in their store (you don't necessarily need to buy anything). On sea days, just relax and enjoy not being able to be bothered by day to day problems.

If you have business reasons or other serious reasons you must be connected, my advice would be to buy one package and share it with your cabin mate. Packages are 'owned' by one seapass card, but can be used one at a time on multiple devices. If you are worried about not being able to be reached in an emergency just give your contacts the ship's number and they can call that if you absolutely must be reached.

I know I am giving away my age here when I comment that believe it or not years ago we used to sail over and over again without ever connecting online or talking to anyone back home. It was blissfully peaceful and a wonderful way to avoid the stress of the workplace. I know that can't always work these days but it sure was nice when it could. But if you can't or don't want to sail that way, try the above suggestions. Enjoy - Equinox is an amazing ship!

My experience in most ports is that the internet hardly works due to the volume of people trying to connect. A lot of times we are conned into making a purchase to connect when they know that the service is not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the advice. Would love to switch off for the full cruise but leaving the kids for the first time and we need to be in contact.

The price really shocked me at £172 for out cruise 8 days.

Is the wifi on board really that bad ? We are sailing on Equinox

To contradict an earlier answer: I have never paid for internet on board and have never had any problem finding it for free or for very little cost in ports. In the meantime, for sea days, you could give whoever is minding the kids the ship's phone number in case of an emergency.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the advice. Would love to switch off for the full cruise but leaving the kids for the first time and we need to be in contact.

The price really shocked me at £172 for out cruise 8 days.

Is the wifi on board really that bad ? We are sailing on Equinox

I can't speak to the price issue, be we got off Equinox yesterday and while I doubt I would want to try streaming a movie, it worked pretty well for browsing and small scale streaming. Yes there were times when we lost the internet connection but it usually came back pretty quickly.

And phone calls using WiFi calling were sketchy for me. I called my sister, and while I could hear her well, the first few seconds of my talking was garbled. I started preceding everything by saying "nonsense nonsense nonsense" and she was able to her the substance. Nevertheless we kept it short and waited a couple of days until we were in Miami for a longer all. Texts, using WiFi calling were fine.

Hope this helps and, of course, YMMV.

First thing we noticed was the price for Internet for our 8 night cruise £172 wow. Why is it so expensive for internet?

Because many people are willing to pay that much.

They no longer offer a package of minutes. These packages were much better for people who did not need 24x7 Internet access.