Upgrade Fairy hit - Grand Scenic Oceanview - room question

On our last cruise we went from our usual OV to a Scenic OV and just loved it. Took a peek into a Grand OV and it will be our next cruise choice. I sat looking out the large window for quite a few hours which I never do. Great choice, you will love it.

$180 total to go from an interior to a Scenic oven view?? Thats a great upgrade!! I don't get why people think that, even if it was discounted, if it's not free, it's not a real upgrade. These are very desirable and scarce cabins and could easily cost $150 per person to go from an inside to these.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Upgrade fairy visited us last night. Went from a 4d midship interior to 6K Grand Scenic Oceanview for 180 for 5 days. Took it quick. This is for the Conquest.

What are you opinions on the room?

We had one of these in April on the Splendor, great room.

I had 2 offers in my Carnival cruising history (32) - one was a $600 upsell from a mid ship balcony to a suite and another was from my favorite 1A queen size bed cabin to a very forward smaller porthole twin for no charge.

I declined both. I'm envious of cruisers who get the good deals, I'm just not one of them..

Upgrade fairy visited us last night. Went from a 4d midship interior to 6K Grand Scenic Oceanview for 180 for 5 days. Took it quick. This is for the Conquest.

That is an amazing deal!!! We had one of the Grand Scenic Oceanview rooms (9201) on the Conquest last November. I kept it a secret from my husband for over a year and he was so surprised when we walked in! It is my favorite cabin so far and I wouldn't hesitate to book another one in the future. Great location, large room and wonderful views!

f809db60ac53b72faaaa68bdd4d30021.jpg

7ebfbdb0c2fb9fb1d0e81873413fd61a.jpg

f8b413c39a2dd75d1a06282468062f2b.jpg

That is an amazing deal!!! We had one of the Grand Scenic Oceanview rooms (9201) on the Conquest last November. I kept it a secret from my husband for over a year and he was so surprised when we walked in! It is my favorite cabin so far and I wouldn't hesitate to book another one in the future. Great location, large room and wonderful views!

f809db60ac53b72faaaa68bdd4d30021.jpg

7ebfbdb0c2fb9fb1d0e81873413fd61a.jpg

f8b413c39a2dd75d1a06282468062f2b.jpg

I wonder why you have to keep the curtains closed at night?

I believe the stated reason is to allow for better vision from the bridge. A more practical reason, however, is those decks are not private. With lights on at night, people can see in. My understanding is the windows have one-way film on them that keep people from seeing in during the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is always one sailor that looks out to make sure the ship does not hit any hazard that might be ahead. The electronics are wonderful, but nothing beats a set of eyeballs on duty.

Human vision is amazing being able to go from the brightest sunlight to the most minimally lit night. To go from normal lighting to starlight takes about 30 minutes for your eyes to adjust. Once you are seeing like a cat it only takes a few seconds to lose that sensitivity. That is why the light reduced to the front.

None of us wants the sailor on watch to loose his or her dark adaption because our curtains were open.

It is most certainly not from keeping others from looking in, that's a personal option and not one that CCL would force upon any pax....LOL!

It is solely as for the reason stated on the placard above the window shade switch.....for navigation ability from the Bridge. All front facing cabins with windows must keep their blinds/curtains closed between sunset and sunrise so as not to interfere with the Bridge and navigation....the light from these windows at night interfere with the Bridge's ability to see/navigate properly.

Great cabin and great upsell.....Enjoy!

I had 2 offers in my Carnival cruising history (32) - one was a $600 upsell from a mid ship balcony to a suite and another was from my favorite 1A queen size bed cabin to a very forward smaller porthole twin for no charge.

I declined both. I'm envious of cruisers who get the good deals, I'm just not one of them..

If you don't mind my asking, which cabin is that? If you don't want to answer here, you can tell me when we cruise together in January :)

For the first time ever, I got an Upgrade Fairy call for my upcoming Magic cruise....

From a porthole cabin to a cove balcony for $492. I didn't think that was much of an offer...so I said no.

Considering someone on our roll call went from a spa balcony to a suite for $20, I thought my offer was a bit pricey!

I believe the stated reason is to allow for better vision from the bridge. A more practical reason, however, is those decks are not private. With lights on at night, people can see in. My understanding is the windows have one-way film on them that keep people from seeing in during the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These cabins don't have anything like a deck or a walkway in front of them - they are as far forward as you can get. No one can see in, unless you're docked and someone on the shore is looking up, and even then, they can't really see it, because the rooms are so far up. The reason you're supposed to keep the curtains closed (or the lights off) is that the light spill can interfere with the bridge's sight. But it's not to keep folks from looking in. Some people think that because there's a railing in front of the windows, that means that passengers can walk in front, but those are for the workers who clean the windows. Now, if you want to give THEM a show . . . but they are absolutely not working at night. So you can be in the cabin with the curtains open in the evening, as long as you don't turn on all the lights. What a way to look at the stars!

KC

We have had that room and it is well worth the $180. Great Deal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums