Tipping

FluffyFiFi

Who is depriving anyone? If you leave the autotips on, they go to the cabin steward and waiters. If you remove them and tip with an envelope, the same people get the same money, or they do if I'm doing it!

The point is that they still get their share of the autotips plus the cash tips if they are allowed to keep them.

Brian

Who is depriving anyone? If you leave the autotips on, they go to the cabin steward and waiters. If you remove them and tip with an envelope, the same people get the same money, or they do if I'm doing it!

Exactly but you are wasting your time explaining the same thing over and over again. I don't do as you but I respect your right to choose what you want to do.

Absolutely clear to me as well but there again we don't fall into the trouble making or moaner categories.

Nobody is making trouble or a moaner but in the last few weeks have seen responses from P&O on threads in this forum and on P&Os Facebook page and they differ and regularly contradict themselves so nobody knows the full truth of who receives the money given whether it be by auto or by cash in hand and if P&O take a percentage for administration.

Nobody is making trouble or a moaner but in the last few weeks have seen responses from P&O on threads in this forum and on P&Os Facebook page and they differ and regularly contradict themselves so nobody knows the full truth of who receives the money given whether it be by auto or by cash in hand and if P&O take a percentage for administration.

There is a post on here today with a reply from P&O. That's good enough for me as it pretty much confirms what I thought.

It isn't the same money, they get paid twice.

If you leave the service charge on then your money and everyone else's money ends up in the tip pool. The tip pool is shared out amongst the stewards and waiters, with everyone getting a share.

If you hand your steward and waiters cash, according to the wisdom here they keep the cash and would still get a share of the tip pool (so double pay).

Meanwhile every else in the tip pool gets a bit less as there is less money in the tip pool as you double paid the staff serving you.

If you leave the service charge on then your money and everyone else's money ends up in the tip pool. The tip pool is shared out amongst the stewards and waiters, with everyone getting a share.

If you hand your steward and waiters cash, according to the wisdom here they keep the cash and would still get a share of the tip pool (so double pay).

Meanwhile every else in the tip pool gets a bit less as there is less money in the tip pool as you double paid the staff serving you.

Its the customers money and they can do what they want with it. That's the reality.

A lot of people tip their waiters and cabin stewards on top of autogratuities so i think most will actually be benefiting from both options of tips.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

A lot of people tip their waiters and cabin stewards on top of autogratuities so i think most will actually be benefiting from both options of tips.

Absolutely, but it is those who are removing the service charge and paying the same amount as cash tips instead who is will be causing some staff to be underpaid.

Absolutely, but it is those who are removing the service charge and paying the same amount as cash tips instead who is will be causing some staff to be underpaid.

One can only have your own conscience clear by leaving tips on and possibly giving extra cash to deserving crew

I think we all get what you are saying but I have 2 issues with continuing to pay the autotip.

Firstly - what happens to the autotip money we have paid in if our waiters and/or cabin steward are deemed to have underperformed by customer satisfaction survey, it has been mentioned several times in the various threads in the recent past that in those circumstances don't receive part or all their share.

Secondly, what happens if we are not happy with the performance of our waiters and cabin steward, why should be pay an autotip when the staff dealing with us have not earned it.

That is what happened to us on our last cruise and that is why we are returning to the envelope system - we will tip what we deem to have been earned and if it is the same as last time it will be nil, but hopefully it will be the full current daily rate. We are not setting out to cause some staff to be underpaid.

I really don't think this will happen. P and O know who take off the charge so will omit giving it to those not down to receive it or that would be the fair way, we have no way of knowing. I agree with the other poster about staff being deprived of full tips if they get a poor review. Nit everyone would have the same opinion. That is why on our last cruise we removed the tip for the first time ever and gave it in cash.

As an aside I read somewhere that staff are told who remove tips. Whether this is true or not I have no idea.

I think if people remove the autogratuities and give the exact amount to their waiters in MDR and cabin stewards instead it is their choice but i think the suspicion is a lot of people remove autogratuities and only give part or no tip to the crew which is really the crux of the issue.

I think if people remove the autogratuities and give the exact amount to their waiters in MDR and cabin stewards instead it is their choice but i think the suspicion is a lot of people remove autogratuities and only give part or no tip to the crew which is really the crux of the issue.

Not sure about that. Its clear that many people remove auto-tips and pay cash and no doubt some people pay nothing at all. You don't sign the form to remove auto-tips and state that you are paying cash instead. Its entirely optional. Personally I really couldn't care what anyone else does. I pay auto-tips and no more regardless of the service. I would prefer P&O to include them in the total cost but I think that's unlikely.

Which has always been the case as far back as I can remember in whatever system was being used. In fact it was talked about on our first cruise and it was the people who never turned up on the last night at dinner who were the ones people talked about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which has always been the case as far back as I can remember in whatever system was being used. In fact it was talked about on our first cruise and it was the people who never turned up on the last night at dinner who were the ones people talked about.

Talk about? You should have clarified the matter, by mentioning that the couple not attending the table on the last night, were dining with friends in the speciality restaurant, and did discreetly leave a fat gratuity the night before.

Talk about? You should have clarified the matter, by mentioning that the couple not attending the table on the last night, were dining with friends in the speciality restaurant, and did discreetly leave a fat gratuity the night before.

No speciality restaurants then I am afraid. But clearly it had been going on some time as most people knew about it. So pre 2001.

Not sure about that. Its clear that many people remove auto-tips and pay cash and no doubt some people pay nothing at all. You don't sign the form to remove auto-tips and state that you are paying cash instead. Its entirely optional. Personally I really couldn't care what anyone else does. I pay auto-tips and no more regardless of the service. I would prefer P&O to include them in the total cost but I think that's unlikely.

We always prepay or autopay depending on which cruiseline we are on plus always give extra and i never think about what other people do but for the purpose of this thread where some people don't like tipping i do think people are looking to save money by removing autogratuities and giving some cash? to the crew or not but that is down to their consience or not.

I remember that happening and the disappointment of the waiters too.

Possible or not? funny how the buffet was busy,we always did second sitting before freedom dining and out of curiosity i looked in while walking around deck.

I really don't think this will happen. P and O know who take off the charge so will omit giving it to those not down to receive it or that would be the fair way, we have no way of knowing. I agree with the other poster about staff being deprived of full tips if they get a poor review. Nit everyone would have the same opinion. That is why on our last cruise we removed the tip for the first time ever and gave it in cash.

As an aside I read somewhere that staff are told who remove tips. Whether this is true or not I have no idea.

I can only go on what happened to us on Oriana in 2014 and having done many cruises with P&O before auto gratuities we used to tip in envelopes left in your cabin at the recommended rate to cabin steward/waiter and Assistant Waiter and since induction always left auto gratuities in place. On Oriana in 2014 we had excellent service from our waiters in MDR and the worst cabin steward we have ever had on a P&O ship and did not think he deserved his gratuity. Went to reception asking how can we remove the cabin stewards gratuity without affecting the waiters share. Was told it wasn't possible it just meant that if I reduced my auto amount it just meant all 3 would get less. I asked if I removed my auto completely and just gave tips to waiter/assistant waiter in cash they said it still would not make any difference as because you have removed auto gratuities any tips given in cash has to be handed in to the "pool". There suggestion was to leave auto gratuities on and to make a written formal complaint about the cabin steward and P&O would act on it which is what we did.

I can only go on what happened to us on Oriana in 2014 and having done many cruises with P&O before auto gratuities we used to tip in envelopes left in your cabin at the recommended rate to cabin steward/waiter and Assistant Waiter and since induction always left auto gratuities in place. On Oriana in 2014 we had excellent service from our waiters in MDR and the worst cabin steward we have ever had on a P&O ship and did not think he deserved his gratuity. Went to reception asking how can we remove the cabin stewards gratuity without affecting the waiters share. Was told it wasn't possible it just meant that if I reduced my auto amount it just meant all 3 would get less. I asked if I removed my auto completely and just gave tips to waiter/assistant waiter in cash they said it still would not make any difference as because you have removed auto gratuities any tips given in cash has to be handed in to the "pool". There suggestion was to leave auto gratuities on and to make a written formal complaint about the cabin steward and P&O would act on it which is what we did.

This process does not encourage cabin stewards to be good if they still get tips.

I think hotel director should have been contacted by GS when you complained and the cabin steward dealt with there and then.