Tipping

FluffyFiFi

Our upcoming 17 night cruise cost us £1249 pp, so as we all get the same service, then the charge should be the same for everyone. so that's £102 pp in tips. Interestingly, those who can afford a Suite or Balcony it doesn't sound much at all! I guess for some who save up for their holiday, perhaps tips are just not affordable?

Edited by jeanlyon

Our upcoming 17 night cruise cost us £1249 pp, so as we all get the same service, then the charge should be the same for everyone. so that's £102 pp in tips. Interestingly, those who can afford a Suite or Balcony it doesn't sound much at all! I guess for some who save up for their holiday, perhaps tips are just not affordable?

True, but those in balcony and suites will be getting OBC, so, effectively PanO are paying their tips

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well done and something i have done in the past as well.

It is the people who short change the crew that lots of us detest.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Short change is one matter, but how about a large party of Brits at Guest Services, trying to remove, and obtain a rebate, of the inclusive gratuities given as an incentive (included in the price) by a well known TA on booking?

The reason?

To purchase cigarettes from the onboard Duty Free

I would set a £5 per day fee which could not be stopped on the understanding that absolutely no more tips are to be given.

The only way you would be allowed under EU consumer rules to make it unstopable would be to include it in the fare. So what would be the point in specifying a value?

Do you actually know which tax regime the crew come under? I think you will find none of the crew ( who rely on tips at any rate) come under the UK tax rules....they will be non resident for a start.

They would fall under the tax rules of where they normally belong, but for most countries working at sea for 6 months or more means any pay is tax free.

I agree with the person who said it was about value not about the price. £84 on a £2,500 cruise isn't much especially with OBC. However on my small saver cruise tips it's almost 10% extra. This definitely decreases the value of my holiday against alternatives. P&O are clearly trying to attracti a broader market share than just people with a healthy budget.

Seeing as pricing seems very opaque for cruises ( TA giving extra perks, pricing going up and down, two types of fares which don't correlate to each other) , expecting non mandatory tipping to work seems insane.

339 posts and counting.

The one thing we all have in common?

Regardless of how we choose to do it, we all pay the tips. Unless I have missed it not one single poster has said that they pay nothing to the staff.

See we allreally agree😀

339 posts and counting.

The one thing we all have in common?

Regardless of how we choose to do it, we all pay the tips. Unless I have missed it not one single poster has said that they pay nothing to the staff.

See we allreally agree😀

And I believe in Father Christmas.

David.

Do you actually know which tax regime the crew come under? I think you will find none of the crew ( who rely on tips at any rate) come under the UK tax rules....they will be non resident for a start.

It has been mentioned on a few tipping thread's that crew and cruise lines pay less tax if the bulk of their wages are gratuitys plus the crew pay agents in their home countries less too if it is tips rather than a percentage of their salary.

The suites generally pay more autogratuity.

Short change is one matter, but how about a large party of Brits at Guest Services, trying to remove, and obtain a rebate, of the inclusive gratuities given as an incentive (included in the price) by a well known TA on booking?

The reason?

To purchase cigarettes from the onboard Duty Free

Some people are Unbelievable.

People who book suites are already paying more for the same food, service etc as someone on an inside. Why should they also subsidise others gratuities. Not being able to afford tips is not an excuse in my book I'm afraid.

People who book suites are already paying more for the same food, service etc as someone on an inside. Why should they also subsidise others gratuities. Not being able to afford tips is not an excuse in my book I'm afraid.

I agree everyone should pay the same autogratuities,we have already paid extra for a better cabin.

There are still those around on cruises who think "they are better than thou" class system isn't dead and albeit very few there are still some about. For years before Carnival plc purchased P&O and Cunard there were those on Cunard who were just ferries and heard equally some do the same on P&O with regards Thomson cruises.

I have met many people who think they are better because they are in a suite or balcony. We choose an inside cabin as we would rather spend our money in other ways, but have met those who seem to think they are better because they have paid more. We avoid the subject whilst on the ship these days. I agree that everyone should pay the same in tips regardless of cabin price. I just wish they would include it in the fare and call it what it is - a service charge.