Trying to plan Princess Cay Day!

cruisersmom

We are sailing on the January 3rd Panama Canal cruise on the Caribbean Princess and are finalizing our excursions. Looking for any feedback from those who have recently been to Princess Cay and signed up for excursions--in particular, the glass bottom boat tour and the coastal cruise.

Also, are beach chairs available first-come, first-serve or are those reserved as well!

Finally--are there places to snorkel around the edges of the beaches?

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks so much!

We didn't do any excursions while there but we did reserve a "clamshell" which we enjoyed. The beach loungers are first come -- but we wanted some shelter and thought the clamshell was just right. We also rented snorkel gear but was disappointed with quality of snorkeling. The beach going into the water was full of rocks, in hindsight, I should have worn water shoes as it was quite uncomfortable in spots. We did see some fish while snorkeling but it was minimal. Probably a good place for children and/or beginners. On a positive note, it's a beautiful setting and we took a long walk down the beach and explored. There are several spots to have lunch and drinks, a perfect setting for the day. Enjoy yourselves.

We are sailing on the January 3rd Panama Canal cruise on the Caribbean Princess and are finalizing our excursions. Looking for any feedback from those who have recently been to Princess Cay and signed up for excursions--in particular, the glass bottom boat tour and the coastal cruise.

Also, are beach chairs available first-come, first-serve or are those reserved as well!

Finally--are there places to snorkel around the edges of the beaches?

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks so much!

It is a nice beach. Plan to have your entire group, if you have a group, at the tender ticket location early so you can be one of the first to stake out a nice beach location. There are plenty of lounge chairs for everyone, but there are limited spots in the shade. As you exit the tender to your left is the larger beach area with the better beach and ocean. There is also a beach to the right, entrance to the water there is not as nice as it is in the other direction. You can pre-reserve a clam shell if you like. If I remember correctly the clam shells are all on the right hand side of the dock. Entry into the sea is a little rough with coral rocks on the bottom, so wear bathing shoes. Once you pass the shoreline it is all sand. To the rear of the property is an exit to a local market. If you intend to go there bring photo ID and cash. You must show your cruise card and ID to return back to the Princess beach.There is a cafeteria style lunch served on both sides of the dock area. I have found the one by the clam shells to be less crowded. There are also free standing wagons around where they serve tacos and other street style food. We prefer these to the cafeteria.

I my opinion I don't think it is necessary to book a tour, but that is really up to you.

We didn't do any excursions while there but we did reserve a "clamshell" which we enjoyed. The beach loungers are first come -- but we wanted some shelter and thought the clamshell was just right. We also rented snorkel gear but was disappointed with quality of snorkeling. The beach going into the water was full of rocks, in hindsight, I should have worn water shoes as it was quite uncomfortable in spots. We did see some fish while snorkeling but it was minimal. Probably a good place for children and/or beginners. On a positive note, it's a beautiful setting and we took a long walk down the beach and explored. There are several spots to have lunch and drinks, a perfect setting for the day. Enjoy yourselves.

Thank you so much for your quick reply! The clam shell is a great idea. I think I'll reserve it tonight.

It is a nice beach. Plan to have your entire group, if you have a group, at the tender ticket location early so you can be one of the first to stake out a nice beach location. There are plenty of lounge chairs for everyone, but there are limited spots in the shade. As you exit the tender to your left is the larger beach area with the better beach and ocean. There is also a beach to the right, entrance to the water there is not as nice as it is in the other direction. You can pre-reserve a clam shell if you like. If I remember correctly the clam shells are all on the right hand side of the dock. Entry into the sea is a little rough with coral rocks on the bottom, so wear bathing shoes. Once you pass the shoreline it is all sand. To the rear of the property is an exit to a local market. If you intend to go there bring photo ID and cash. You must show your cruise card and ID to return back to the Princess beach.There is a cafeteria style lunch served on both sides of the dock area. I have found the one by the clam shells to be less crowded. There are also free standing wagons around where they serve tacos and other street style food. We prefer these to the cafeteria.

I my opinion I don't think it is necessary to book a tour, but that is really up to you.

Thank you so much for your suggestions--especially for the water shoes and the food wagons!

The best snorkeling is at the far left of the beach (if you are in the water looking in at the beach--far right if you are on the beach looking out at the water) in the area near the octagonal pavilion over the water.

Thanks so much for the information! My husband was really wondering about the snorkeling!

Snorkeling is not great. We usually get a clamshell for both shade as well as convenience. If we decide to get off late one is reserved for us. How not done organized excursions but rented some of the beach toys when kids were younger. Usually just a nice day to chill out

It's not fabulous, but fun. We snorkel as often as possible where ports of call present the opportunity.

We are definitely beginners, having only snorkeled twice before, so any sea life we see is exciting to us! Thanks for your help!

Snorkeling is not great. We usually get a clamshell for both shade as well as convenience. If we decide to get off late one is reserved for us. How not done organized excursions but rented some of the beach toys when kids were younger. Usually just a nice day to chill out

Thanks for your suggestion of having the clamshell prereserved in case we don't want to get off on the first tenders!

We went snorkeling in March 2016 and it was amazing!! I felt like we were in an aquarium!! :) Maybe it depends on what time of year you go because it was great for us. But I would suggest bringing your own snorkel equipment if possible. We rented the first time and we weren't too sure how sanitized the equipment was.

We went snorkeling in March 2016 and it was amazing!! I felt like we were in an aquarium!! :) Maybe it depends on what time of year you go because it was great for us. But I would suggest bringing your own snorkel equipment if possible. We rented the first time and we weren't too sure how sanitized the equipment was.

I always wonder how sanitary the snorkeling equipment is, too! Thanks for your suggestions.

I can't emphasize how important the water shoes are. My wife cut her foot on the coral at Princess Cay. She had to go to the medical center on the ship to have them stitch it up. She was swimming out by the rope where it's pretty deep. She put her foot down and sliced the side of her big toe. She was wearing sandals all week so at least it didn't effect her walking having to wear shoes. Sad part is we all had water shoes. She made the kids wear their's but didn't bother to put her's on. This is one time were do as I say and not as I do didn't pay off for her.

Thanks for your suggestion of having the clamshell prereserved in case we don't want to get off on the first tenders!

Have a great day at Princess Cays. It's a nice day. I wanted to let you know that prereserving will insure you have a clamshell. If location is important to you, such as a good view of the ocean, getting off earlier helps with that. One time I got off late. My friend stayed onboard. My clamshell was behind tons of other clamshells. Not much of a view. I liked it for shade but found a lounger as well with a completely unblocked oceanview.

If you enjoy floating around, bring a cheap blow-up raft from Amazon. I don't think the floats they rent are ever cleaned. When you're done with the raft, just leave it behind. I do this almost all the time for beach visits when on cruises. Best $4 ever. :D

Next cruise I'm bringing a blow up noodle so I can use it on the beach & the Retreat pool. ;p

Note that you do not reserve a specific clamshell.

It is first come to shore, first pick of location. All pre-reserving does is ensure that you will have one. Once you get to shore you will then pick from the ones still available.

One other thing to keep in mind about the clamshells is that, once booked, they are non-refundable. So if the weather on your Princess Cays day is less than stellar, you're still on the hook for the rental. I've always waited until the day of the visit to book a clamshell and, thus far, have never had a problem getting one.

One other thing to keep in mind about the clamshells is that, once booked, they are non-refundable. So if the weather on your Princess Cays day is less than stellar, you're still on the hook for the rental. I've always waited until the day of the visit to book a clamshell and, thus far, have never had a problem getting one.

Great tip Croptop

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will recommend an excursion. The Dune Buggies were so much fun. You go out of the Princess compound to the south end of the Island. There is a beautiful beach on the Atlantic side where you can dip your toes. Beautiful view at the tip of the Island

We did that excursion in 2016... was very fun!!! It is not offer anymore in the cruise personnaliser for Princess Cays!