Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

sabrefan

If you go on the SSBP web page on Viking, there is a box that will let you open the drinks menu. Sparkling wine and Prosecco are included because under $15. The actual champagne from that region of France is $16 and is thus not included. And, you have to pay the $16 in full, not $16 minus your $15 allotment, or $1, as others have asked before.

I’m struggling to find out whether champagne is included in the SSBP, I read on one review that all drinks up to the value of $15 are inclusive and I also read one another blog that champagne was around $9 per/glass, so I assume it is included. It is rather strange that the package details are not clearly specified anywhere and not even on the application form!

There was a sparkling (prosecco?) included on Sky during our April TA but the champagne was priced over the allowable cost. I do not know if you can pay the difference and order it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you purchase the beverage package, you will be limited to the enhanced wine by the glass list. Why not put that money in a 'mental' bank account and use it to buy wine by the bottle -- a much more extensive list that can easily be supplemented by wine bought onshore when available? That's my plan on the British Isles cruise [not expecting to stock up in Bergen, but who knows? Maybe Norwegians enjoy fine wine more than I expect? ;)] IMHO the only way any beverage package works out is if you want top shelf liquor.

I’ll bet we can find some fine wines in Bergen but.......... Everything in Norway is expensive. That said if we can buy wine on shore in Europe we should easily be able to supplement the onboard selections.

Two off topic bits here....don't flame me please.

Puska - We did the opposite of what you are planning for our Alaska trip years ago - flew into Anchorage, rented a car and did a day trip to Denali and then drove from Anchorage to Seward to board X Summit. While our friends who took the train from Anchorage to Seward loved it, we equally loved the beautiful drive and we got to stop when we wanted to enjoy the view! The was no (or minimal) drop off charge for the car since they have so many folks who go one way to/from ANC and the cruise ports. For us the cost was even lower than the cost of the trains and we got to go exploring....just a thought!

Peregrina - We have an OBC from our TA that is sufficient to purchase the Silver Spirits package so we had planned on doing so, but I am thinking we might get a bigger bang for the OBC buck by doing The Kitchen instead. Isn't it right at $299 pp? Do you know if they do it on TAs? Trying to figure out where they would do the market visit unless it was in the Azores or one of the port stops in Spain before we disembark at Barcelona...but frankly would prefer to do it early in a cruise rather than the last day or three.

What is the kitchen?

Update. Our $1000 OBC appeared when I logged in today and I was able use it to purchase the Silver Beverage package. This is for a cruise in May 2019. Hope they have the Sauvignon Blanc onboard.

That’s one heck of an onboard credit. Care to share you TA info?

If you go on the SSBP web page on Viking, there is a box that will let you open the drinks menu. Sparkling wine and Prosecco are included because under $15. The actual champagne from that region of France is $16 and is thus not included. And, you have to pay the $16 in full, not $16 minus your $15 allotment, or $1, as others have asked before.

Many thanks for above information, can you please copy & paste the SSBP Viking webpage as I’m unable locate it on the Viking website.

Sorry, one,ore thing. The wines listed on this menu are not the wine available on the SSBP. They were quite varied and usually very good. I think maybe about 15-20. Not to try to influence you, but we thought the package was a good value and we are doing it again next month.

Just FYI, in our final Cruise Documents which we've just received in the mail, it states:

SILVER SPIRITS BEVERAGE PACKAGE

"On board our ocean ships, you may have free assorted hot teas, and specialty coffees anytime, as well as house wines, beers and soft drinks with onboard lunches and dinners. We also proudly offer a Silver Spirits beverage package, which covers any drinks (excluding champagne) up to $15.00, including premium wines by the glass, cocktails, all house pouring wines, beers, liquors, well drinks, mixers/long drink and soft drinks throughout the day for a flat fee per guest. Visit the Guest Services Desk when you arrive for details and to purchase."

DOOLZ, note the "excluding champagne"! Sorry!

1) I have questions that I have not been able to find an answer to on the Viking website. Some of you are talking about buying wine and bringing it aboard. Is that allowed or are you sneaking it onboard? If you can bring wine onboard legally, are you allowed to bring hard liquor as well? None of the other cruise lines we've traveled on allowed more than a bottle of wine per person on embarkation day. Any other liquor purchased ashore was taken upon reboarding, stored, and returned to you as you disembark the ship to return home.

2) DV1 staterooms have minibar replenished daily with bottled water, soft drinks and snacks only -- no alcohol until PV1 and above.

What is the kitchen?

Almost like an excursion offered only once or twice per voyage and for a maximum of 12 guests. It typically includes visiting a local market with the chef to purchase ingredients Then watching the multi-course meal being prepared and enjoying eating it with wines of course. The price was too steep for our budget-seems like it was something around $200 pp...but I could be remembering that incorrectly. A search of Viking’s YouTube channel can give you more insight.

1) I have questions that I have not been able to find an answer to on the Viking website. Some of you are talking about buying wine and bringing it aboard. Is that allowed or are you sneaking it onboard? If you can bring wine onboard legally, are you allowed to bring hard liquor as well? None of the other cruise lines we've traveled on allowed more than a bottle of wine per person on embarkation day. Any other liquor purchased ashore was taken upon reboarding, stored, and returned to you as you disembark the ship to return home.

2) DV1 staterooms have minibar replenished daily with bottled water, soft drinks and snacks only -- no alcohol until PV1 and above.

1) yes to being freely allowed to bring on both wine and liquor

2) since we were a lowly V2 someone else will need to confirm your statement. For us there was no replacement which I expected but I was disappointed that they wouldn’t trade out the offerings for those we drank. (Coke Zero for the regular Coke, Sprite). Luckily we found that the bartenders were happy to give you cans which we used to stock the fridge drawer as we liked!

1) yes to being freely allowed to bring on both wine and liquor

Not only can you bring it on board but you do not have to hide it in a sippy cup to drink it in public spaces. Bartenders will give you glasses. Just ask.

There is a corkscrew in your minibar. Your steward will keep you supplied with fresh glasses and ice. Just ask.

There is no corkage fee in the dining rooms.

Another place to snag cans of soda is in the World Cafe during meal times.

We are thinking of getting the package but are not heavy drinkers. I do drink a lot of water and wanted to know if the Evian water was included in the package? Might actually make it worth it. Thanks.

We are thinking of getting the package but are not heavy drinkers. I do drink a lot of water and wanted to know if the Evian water was included in the package? Might actually make it worth it. Thanks.

Viking offers both regular or sparking water both at meals and in carafes for cabins. Don't know about Evian or San Pellegrino in cans or small bottles.

We ask for still/regular water for our cabin carafe. For dinner I always asked for sparkling water in my water glass. Waiters poured it from a carafe.

Almost like an excursion offered only once or twice per voyage and for a maximum of 12 guests. It typically includes visiting a local market with the chef to purchase ingredients Then watching the multi-course meal being prepared and enjoying eating it with wines of course. The price was too steep for our budget-seems like it was something around $200 pp...but I could be remembering that incorrectly. A search of Viking’s YouTube channel can give you more insight.

Thank you. I’ll check YouTube for certain. Can one person from a cabin sign up for excursions?

The Evian and San Pellegrino is included in the beverage package. However---the beverage package is separate from the mini-bar inclusions. So you will not be able to get the special waters in your mini-bar. They will only give you soda and tonic water---neither of which we drink. We tried ordering the Evian and after the second day they were out of inventory. You can get sparkling water at the restaurants and World Cafe, but it is coming out of a spigot and not in individual bottles. So I am not sure what it actually is or if it contains sodium, etc.

Part of the reason we ordered the beverage package was for the Evian and San Pellegrino. It proved problematic.

Ended up ordering from room service and there was confusion over if it was included and we were charged for the San Pellegrino.

As a water person--I was disappointed that there is no LaCroix, Dasani or small bottles of Evian.

Viking is allegedly targeting educated, high-end cruisers who would be nutrition conscious. So I was really surprised by the emphasis on sodas in the mini-bar.

Yes--there is always water available. But we were disappointed in the offerings and think Viking needs to step up in this area.

Glad to help, just paying it forward.

Please feel free to link any and everywhere. Mike says if our retir...ahem post work Budget doesn’t work out we are gonna have to figure out how to monetize the blog so the more followers the better! LOL

Thank you for postings the wine list. Very nice to know ahead of time. Where do I find your blog?

You can buy the package once you are on the ship, that way you can see the wine and liquor lists and make a decision. The wine at the Chef's table seemed to be significantly different for those with the beverage package. We buy the package for the ease of not tracking what we drink when, for the option of "upgraded" wines at meals, etc. We had the package on our recent river cruise in France and I didn't realize until the last night that I could have been ordering veuve clicquot every day. I'll be much more diligent in September.

VC would certainly be incentive. Someone posted a wine list on this thread and pretty much every glass was $6 and unimpressive. Haven’t seen the premium list though.

Did I miss it?

The info on SS package I read today said 15% gratuities included in the $279pp price.....there was also a sample bar menu with about 10 pages listing various beers, drinks, etc, and only price of house wines & sparkling.

I was wondering if 15% is added onto the various drink/beer prices of $5, $6, $7.50, etc. when you purchase individually? OR is it included in drink price (which I doubt)?

If you factor out the 15% from the $279, that nets down to $243 for the drinks & divide by # of evenings on ship, that comes to $17.36 pp per day...that would easily cover cost of a 2 cosmos or manhattans @ 7.50 or 2 crown royals @ 8.00 plus a beer at lunch or a mimosa in AM, not counting a glass of wine at dinner....

OR AM I misunderstanding the rules??

Hi Kay, it’s Michelle from Maryland. Actually we live in Maine now. Melissa is in Nashville but heading to Denver for grad school. Are you planning a Viking Cruise? Nice to see you here.

The whole SS package is confusing.

Thank you for postings the wine list. Very nice to know ahead of time. Where do I find your blog?

There is a link in my signature but here ya go:

http://WWW.CruisinWithClay.wordpress.com. If you scroll down you will see a “follow” button. If you click it and enter your email you get an automatic notification when i post.

I posted a lot during the TA on Sky-now about once a week as we continue our adventure. Happy to have you along.

VC would certainly be incentive. Someone posted a wine list on this thread and pretty much every glass was $6 and unimpressive. Haven’t seen the premium list though.

Did I miss it?

I was just on the Viking Sea. the list of $6.00 a glass wine is the upgraded wine by the glass.

We had the package. T he gratuity is INCLUDED in the price It is a great bargain IMO. We drank white wine. They had a good Sauvignon Blanc from NZ, a Pinot Grigio from Italy, and white French, and Spanish white, all dry. Did not try the Chardonney. They ran out of the first three by the tenth day of the 15 day cruise.

Know that the Living Room Bar and MDR had bottles that the Aquavit bar had run out of.

Explorer lounge ,we had pre dinner cocktails , except the last few nights when we had bottles of Champagne two cruiser had in their cabins.

In Torshavn we had late cocktail, they do a great sidecar cocktail.

So if you are only a wine drinker and do not like the wine by glass, then bring your own on board. They will even keep your bottle in the MDR for dinner. I bought a bottle of Cava in Madeira and had it served for dinner one night for our table.

We had the package.

We had a good Italian white in Manfredi, cannot remember the name.

For chef table the night we had the Scandinvian menu here

is the premiun wine pairing;

Domaine Luberger(Pinot Noir) Alsace,France ; Noble Vines,242 Sauvignon Blanc, California USA: Altano Organic (Tinta barocca)Douro, Portugal; Moscato Reale di trani,DOC, Aqulia, Italy.

Individual choice if the Silver Spirit package is worth it to you.

The links are really very helpful. Thank you.

If you wanted to order a cocktail with a specific alcohol that is on the SS list, are you able to request that rather than house? For example, can you order a Grey Goose martini or lemon drop rather than house vodka, and it is still included in the SS package?

Also, aren’t you able to order wine or champagne by the bottle and receive a percentage off regardless of the bottle with the SS package?