Southern Caribbean in Jan...Balcony shaded all of the time?!

wesb1980

How far aft? If you have a balcony that faces the wake of the ship, most of those balconies have very little covering. The shade you get is from the separators between balconies, but really you will get very little shade depending on the time of day and which way the sun is shining in relation to the ship.

By the way, you have chosen a beautiful time of the year to travel to the Southern Caribbean. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

The amount of shade on any balcony depends on the position of the sun in relation to the position of the ship,

Agree here. Our balconies go from sun to shade all dependent on time of day and direction. Too, even another large ship moored next to ( or in your case, behind) your ship can affect what you get on your balcony.

The Eclipse in Jan. is a favorite of ours. Will be our 4th time next Jan.

Hi Guys, due on the Eclipse in January for this cruise. We have booked cabin 2157 which is on the resort deck on the aft. Wife is thinking that the balcony will be shaded all the time? Anyone have any experience on these cabins?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app

Another impossible ?? to answer.

How far aft? If you have a balcony that faces the wake of the ship, most of those balconies have very little covering. The shade you get is from the separators between balconies, but really you will get very little shade depending on the time of day and which way the sun is shining in relation to the ship.

By the way, you have chosen a beautiful time of the year to travel to the Southern Caribbean. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

In the middle right at the back

In the middle right at the back

Deck 14 (Oceanview Bar) completely covers 2157's balcony. - In fact all eight of the Deck 12 stern balconies (Two ends and six in the middle). I'm looking at 3 stern view photos and the Eclipse deck plans as I write this. Sorry. That said, if the sun has a favorable low angle you'll be OK.

Agree here. Our balconies go from sun to shade all dependent on time of day and direction. Too, even another large ship moored next to ( or in your case, behind) your ship can affect what you get on your balcony.

The Eclipse in Jan. is a favorite of ours. Will be our 4th time next Jan.

Enjoy your Jan. cruise. We're booked for March 2018. We wanted to go on a longer cruise than what we've done. Everyone on the roll call is complaining that the 14 day cruises will be discontinued next year. Some couples have done it 7 years in a row so there must be something magical about it.

People are talking about doing a B2B by doing a 9 night followed by a 12 night in the future. We are not at the point where we can get that much time away. Maybe someday.

If you're worried about sun you can always go up on deck and find a nice sunny place. You're not confined to your cabin and are free to roam the decks. We usually only used the balcony for early morning breakfast and watching the wake at night and got off the ship at every port.

Enjoy your cruising days.

There is definitely something magical about the Eclipse 14 night cruises. Did it last January and loved it so much we are doing it again next January. In fact, we are considering doing it also next March. So sad if they are taking them away in the future. I just don't understand why as they are always fully booked from what I have seen. They have great ports and the amount of days is just right for us retirees and for people traveling from overseas. One of the big perks for us is visiting all three ABC islands. Some of our favorites.

Actually, I think I may have answered one of my own questions. Celebrity's target market is not 'us retirees', even though right now there are a boatload (couldn't resist) of us sailing regularly on their ships on these longer cruises especially. I understand wanting to bring in fresh blood so to speak, but many of us are young retirees who will be sailing (God willing) for maybe another 20 years or so. That's a lot of revenue in my book. Oh well - I will enjoy these while I can.

Hi Guys, due on the Eclipse in January for this cruise. We have booked cabin 2157 which is on the resort deck on the aft. Wife is thinking that the balcony will be shaded all the time? Anyone have any experience on these cabins?

Since your cabin is in the middle of the stern and the balcony is covered by the above deck you will probably be mostly shaded when traveling south during the first half of your cruise, but should have some sun on the balcony when you come back north in the second half.

I agree that the 14 day cruises are the perfect amount of days to be on board. 7 -10 just seem to short to try and get in the "chill mode". Also 7 day seem to have more families. It would seem impossible to get to some of the southernmost ports on anything other than a 14 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you should have an aft stateroom on a lower deck, then the Oceanview Bar can actually look down on the lower balconies. Just Sayin".

Just the area adjacent to the railing. We've booked aft cabins in the past and have another booked for next March, and in our experience, once you take a step in from the railing you have total privacy. If people at the Oceanview Bar want to stare at the back of my head while I stand at the railing looking out to sea, I won't be upset in the slightest! :halo: