Enchantment of the Seas - rusty

Sailing her in two or three weeks!!! I decided on Enchantment over Sky, and now I'm hoping I made the right choice... based on video reviews and text reviews here I thought I'd definitely had, but.... where other than the anchor track and nest, is the "wear" that's been spoken about? Still looking forward to boarding her.

An enhanced Mariner gets her spot in June most likely

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

RCI website already listed available bookings for Mariner out of Miami. Must be pretty big market for those

3/4 night cruises from there. Would be interesting to see the changes on Mariner, though we don't plan to

travel there for short cruises.

See you in the VCL on MJ soon! :) Small ship, should be easy to find you. ;)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

And so what does your "waiter in the know" think about the list of bookings available all through the middle of next year and into

2019 from new home port Galveston for Enchantment?? :o

No need to be snarky. I don't think he meant she's being sold immediately after dry dock but probably within the next couple of years.

So, that's exactly how I interpreted the scuttlebutt, as well: that EotS would be sold immediately after the drydock. (It really doesn't make sense to mention the drydock, if drydock is a statutory requirement, would happen anyway, and the sale wouldn't take place for years after.)

Personally, I think the scuttlebutt is just that: unsubstantiated rumor.

Also, I think EotS looks lovely. I'll get a first-hand look, in just under 2 weeks. :D

Someone (OP) is looking for attention!

Really? I'm the OP and was just observing that the rusty streaks detract from the beauty of a cruise ship. I didn't say the hull is rusting away and it's ready for the breakers. Geez.

Just a hint to the captain to roll on some paint once in awhile since they use the anchors each cruise.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

Really? I'm the OP and was just observing that the rusty streaks detract from the beauty of a cruise ship. I didn't say the hull is rusting away and it's ready for the breakers. Geez.

Just a hint to the captain to roll on some paint once in awhile since they use the anchors each cruise.

Maybe it was the title of your thread that has some worked up. Doesn't say it is just from anchor, sorta implies the whole ship is rusty. Honestly, we would love to have Enchantment back in PC, no matter how much rust she has.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe it was the title of your thread that has some worked up. Doesn't say it is just from anchor, sorta implies the whole ship is rusty. Honestly, we would love to have Enchantment back in PC, no matter how much rust she has.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You need bold titles to attract attention.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

So, that's exactly how I interpreted the scuttlebutt, as well: that EotS would be sold immediately after the drydock. (It really doesn't make sense to mention the drydock, if drydock is a statutory requirement, would happen anyway, and the sale wouldn't take place for years after.)

Personally, I think the scuttlebutt is just that: unsubstantiated rumor.

Also, I think EotS looks lovely. I'll get a first-hand look, in just under 2 weeks. :D

I am envious. She is indeed a beautiful little ship and we miss her a lot. :)

Have a fantabulous cruise!

Yes, one of the advantages of azipods is that you only have two azipods, and not two propellers, two rudders, 4 steering motors, and 2-3 stern thrusters. So, cruise ships with props and rudders will have both bow and stern thrusters. When DP'ing, they will use all the thrusters and the two propellers, typically "split" or one going ahead and one going astern, and the program will speed up one or the other to maintain longitudinal position.

See, that's the kind of thing I love learning about. Here we are floating around on this engineering miracle and we (meaning me) know nothing about how it all works. I just wake up each day in a different port.... I wish they would make a point of giving a class on each cruise to tell us, who does what, how it all works, the mysteries of navigation,sailing the oceans in general. I am sure it would be heavily attended.

I just watched the Enchantment pulling into Nassau, and they have painted under the anchors, so it's no longer a "rust bucket".

See, squeaky wheel gets the oil. OP.

I am envious. She is indeed a beautiful little ship and we miss her a lot. :)

Have a fantabulous cruise!

The surface rust being complained about at the anchors is normal for a ship that uses it's anchors often. It's only rundown from the anchors themselves, and doesn't affect the ship at all.

See, that's the kind of thing I love learning about. Here we are floating around on this engineering miracle and we (meaning me) know nothing about how it all works. I just wake up each day in a different port.... I wish they would make a point of giving a class on each cruise to tell us, who does what, how it all works, the mysteries of navigation,sailing the oceans in general. I am sure it would be heavily attended.

I've seen this offered on many of the cruises we have done. Been on several lines so I can't say if it was Royal or the others. Those attending the session had the opportunity to ask questions.

Rust stains near the anchors are normal. The metal anchors rub against the paint and the metal is exposed to the air and seawater. Result is rust. Rust in other places can happen -- ships are routinely repainted but you can catch one between paint jobs. (The old saying is that you're constantly repainting -- once you finish, it's time to start anew). We were on the ship in April and didn't see any significant rust.