Enchantment of the Seas - rusty

EN passed us on her way out of Miami Friday as we were mustering on Norwegian Sky (first NCL cruise, not bad at all btw). Rust streaks and lots of scrapes from "pier rubbing" were visible. I think it gives her charm. I don't like hoity-toity, squeaky clean ships. They're more interesting with scars and tattoos.

EN passed us on her way out of Miami Friday as we were mustering on Norwegian Sky (first NCL cruise, not bad at all btw). Rust streaks and lots of scrapes from "pier rubbing" were visible. I think it gives her charm. I don't like hoity-toity, squeaky clean ships. They're more interesting with scars and tattoos.

Patina is the in thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She's for Sale, to anyone with 300Mil! This was listed just recently. They won't put another penny into her until she's sold. That's a really nice vessel for a small Cruise Line. Anyone want to start a 3-4 day cruise line out of FL? Lol.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Cruise-Ship-2400-Passengers--Stock-No.-S2388-2792717/United-States#.Waizv0EpCaM

5f339cfa97a45c635c0f12c65b1f6a51.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She's for Sale, to anyone with 300Mil! This was listed just recently. They won't put another penny into her until she's sold. That's a really nice vessel for a small Cruise Line. Anyone want to start a 3-4 day cruise line out of FL? Lol.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Cruise-Ship-2400-Passengers--Stock-No.-S2388-2792717/United-States#.Waizv0EpCaM

5f339cfa97a45c635c0f12c65b1f6a51.jpg

Maybe we can find enough people in PC area to buy her and bring her back to where she belongs

Maybe we can find enough people in PC area to buy her and bring her back to where she belongs

I'm in!!! Seriously, heck of a great ship for a startup. We could be the JetBlue of the 3-4 day Florida Market! We're heading out on her in two weeks.

The listing indicates Build Year 1996, and a length of 279M, gross tonnage of 73.8KT, and capacity of 1994/2393.

Wouldn't those specs be in-line with an original Vision-class ship, rather than the stretched Enchantment OTS, which was built in 1997, and has a length of 301M, gross tonnage of 82.9KT, and capacity of 2252/2730?

I'm guessing the mystery ship is the Grandeur of the Seas:

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheet/6/grandeur-of-the-seas/

The listing indicates Build Year 1996, and a length of 279M, gross tonnage of 73.8KT, and capacity of 1994/2393.

Wouldn't those specs be in-line with an original Vision-class ship, rather than the stretched Enchantment OTS, which was built in 1997, and has a length of 301M, gross tonnage of 82.9KT, and capacity of 2252/2730?

I'm guessing the mystery ship is the Grandeur of the Seas:

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheet/6/grandeur-of-the-seas/

The exterior photo was of the Enchantment with the stretched arcs over the pool deck. Call the broker let him know you're a qualified buyer and would like a showing!

Yes, and the Norwegian Sky has been popping up on yachtworld since 2004 at times. Cruise lines do this as "stalking horses" to see what the market will bear, and have no real basis on whether a particular ship is for sale or what corporate's long term plans for ships are.

Norwegian Sky was leased for the longest time. NCL finally bought her in 2012. Think they gave up trying to find a buyer. Going to be tough selling older ships than in the past. Regency and Premier Cruise Lines used to purchase only older ships and are sadly defunct.

Norwegian Sky was leased for the longest time. NCL finally bought her in 2012. Think they gave up trying to find a buyer. Going to be tough selling older ships I than in the past. Regency and Premier Cruise Lines used to purchase only older ships and are sadly defunct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sky was owned by Norwegian originally, then transferred to Genting (who had been the majority owner of NCL, and as part of the take over by Apollo was given some ships), and leased back from Genting, who still retained a minority ownership of NCL. So, to say the Sky was leased is like saying you've leased your car to your son.

As to selling older ships, there are still a lot of lines out there, outside the US mainstream, whose business model allows for the operation of older ships.

http://www.bahamasparadisecruise.com/

They also just bought the Costa neoClassica and will be bigger than Cunard by embarkations.

I've seen that. They are headed by NCL's former CEO Kevin Sheehan. Hopefully, they will buy more of these older ships and expand to longer cruises. Cruises to Freeport and Nassau are not in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just off EOTS. The amount of corrosion visible on the hull, exterior structure, balcony areas is really out of control and beyond just plain poor. We were docked next to Carnival Fantasy and her sister ship (forgot name). They are older than Enchantment and they were spotless and well maintained and painted. Next to zero corrosion visible. Night and day. Royal, I understand she goes into dry dock in two months but c'mon. The level of disrepair and lack of maintenance and paint is deplorable. I wish I had my phone with me in Nassau and couldn't take photos of the structure where there was so much visible corrosion. It's up the hull and into the upper structure in almost all the panels. The waterline is also just disgusting. Zero maintenance. The anchor wells, well just as said previously but go look at NCL Sky who drops anchor twice weekly as well. There are painters out there constantly and there is little to no corrosion. I took photos of the forward anchor and the balcony where the corrosion has been allowed to progress to the point the metal has corroded away. This is a total disregard for maintenance and is just awful. Out of character for RCI and no other ship in the fleet even comes close. Unacceptable. 9935067e359e9b4970684f3a05baa101.jpg6e9b42a3f62ce04f8af8fcb109a53802.jpgcf92609e788936137325deceb0deea11.jpgd45e5b1b6500ffa8aac7500bc0fbbd8f.jpg17299dcdca7d2ce990678dd8030159c6.jpgaaa64e40bd357dc5be559a2f438494ae.jpg

Good old Entchantment ist now 20 years old. I sailed on her Maiden Voyage back in 1997. What a wonderful ship - and by that time one of the biggest in the world! After 20 years she sure shows since of wear and tear! I still have fond memory´s of the three weeks I spent on board!

Michael

Just off EOTS. The amount of corrosion visible on the hull, exterior structure, balcony areas is really out of control and beyond just plain poor. We were docked next to Carnival Fantasy and her sister ship (forgot name). They are older than Enchantment and they were spotless and well maintained and painted. Next to zero corrosion visible. Night and day. Royal, I understand she goes into dry dock in two months but c'mon. The level of disrepair and lack of maintenance and paint is deplorable. I wish I had my phone with me in Nassau and couldn't take photos of the structure where there was so much visible corrosion. It's up the hull and into the upper structure in almost all the panels. The waterline is also just disgusting. Zero maintenance. The anchor wells, well just as said previously but go look at NCL Sky who drops anchor twice weekly as well. There are painters out there constantly and there is little to no corrosion. I took photos of the forward anchor and the balcony where the corrosion has been allowed to progress to the point the metal has corroded away. This is a total disregard for maintenance and is just awful. Out of character for RCI and no other ship in the fleet even comes close. Unacceptable. 9935067e359e9b4970684f3a05baa101.jpg6e9b42a3f62ce04f8af8fcb109a53802.jpgcf92609e788936137325deceb0deea11.jpgd45e5b1b6500ffa8aac7500bc0fbbd8f.jpg17299dcdca7d2ce990678dd8030159c6.jpgaaa64e40bd357dc5be559a2f438494ae.jpg

There's big difference between a ship useing anchors frequently and those that don't. Can't paint it weekly and Enchantment one of oldest ships has spent more time exposed to salt. I've seen others worse then this and one is a Cunard...

Good old Entchantment ist now 20 years old. I sailed on her Maiden Voyage back in 1997. What a wonderful ship - and by that time one of the biggest in the world! After 20 years she sure shows since of wear and tear! I still have fond memory´s of the three weeks I spent on board!

Michael

She's a great ship. We enjoyed our time on board, but someone made a conscious decision not to paint and do preventative maintenance on her exterior. I really wish I had taken the photos of her hull, waterline and most so her upper structure which was riddled with corrosion. When Carnivals 20 year old ships are looking fresh and well maintained, as Sky is, its really a terrible reflection on what otherwise is a great ship, an outstanding crew, and an overall great company.

There's big difference between a ship useing anchors frequently and those that don't. Can't paint it weekly and Enchantment one of oldest ships has spent more time exposed to salt. I've seen others worse then this and one is a Cunard...

Definitely not just the anchor wells. As I posted earlier I wish I took pictures up close of the hull and upper deck structure. Awful. It's the structure overall. It's everywhere. Sky drops anchor twice a week and looks fresh as does Carnival's 20 year old vessels. It's just unacceptable to let it go like that.

Michael

Same here. Did Enchantment in 1997 with wife, 1998 we brought kids, and In laws in 1999. Was modern for the time. Back then mints on pillows, midnite buffets every nite, Then what my kids loved was 24 hr Pizza & Hot Dogs in solarium and free soda pop with meals in main dining... They all show some wear after yrs at sea, even without all the bells and whistles still a great ship... Michael also.

Definitely not just the anchor wells. As I posted earlier I wish I took pictures up close of the hull and upper deck structure. Awful. It's the structure overall. It's everywhere. Sky drops anchor twice a week and looks fresh as does Carnival's 20 year old vessels. It's just unacceptable to let it go like that.

Also Dry Docks are only done about once every 5 years. Mostly to get them out of water & do Marine side Maintenance. Not 100% but think Sky just had hers but it's been 5 yrs for Enchantment and she was scheduled for this Fall. I'd look it up but 4am and I'm heading to bed...

The exterior photo was of the Enchantment with the stretched arcs over the pool deck. Call the broker let him know you're a qualified buyer and would like a showing!

They showed that same picture when other Vision Class ships were advertised for sale. It's just a stock photo they're using.