Captain's table

Grandson and girlfriend will be going to the captain's table for dinner on next cruise.

What is the dress code. I figure formal but have seen men in Hawaii type shirts going in.

Thanks. Bigbadred52

Captains table or Chefs Table? I wasn't aware of a way to know in advance of a cruise if one is selected to eat dinner with the Captain?

Grandson and girlfriend will be going to the captain's table for dinner on next cruise.

What is the dress code. I figure formal but have seen men in Hawaii type shirts going in.

Thanks. Bigbadred52

Dining with the Captain is usually formal. Specialty restaurants are smart casual every night.

Thanks. Bigbadred52

You'll see a little bit of everything at the Chef's Table. People used to dress up like for a cocktail party. These days, wear what you will be comfortable in for 3 hours of eating and drinking!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have they changed the process? It used to be chosen after people boarded. How do you now find out in advance that you're on the captains table or do you know the captain?

I suspect the OP meant Chef's Table.

We were lucky enough to be invited to Captains table in 2014 and it was a formal night , great meal and wine, very surprised one person did not have tie or jacket

Ours was on formal night...worked out well...and nice group photo! :D

I’ve been invited to the Captain’s Table several times—including on my most recent RCCL cruise—on the Jewel of the Seas in July….But it is always by invitation…and the invitation has always come WHILE ON THE CRUISE…never in advance. Since those have always been held on formal night, the dress code is, therefore, formal.

But, I would agree with others here that the OP meant “Chef’s Table”, not “Captain’s Table”…That would make sense, not only in terms of knowing beforehand, but also with the OP’s choice of words “going in”. One would go into the Chef’s Table whereas the Captain’s Table is held right in the main dining room.

Looking at the RCCL website, we find:

Chef's Table: A once-in-a-lifetime culinary experience – join up to 14 guests in an exclusive enclave to savor a five-course, gourmet menu specially prepared and presented by the Chef de Cuisine. Every course pairs with wine chosen to enhance your enjoyment of the dish.

Dress Suggestion

We suggest smart casual attire in all three restaurants – jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurants, including suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

So, apparently, it depends on whether the dinner at Chef’s Table is on a casual/smart casual night or on a formal night. So, somewhat casual, but with a jacket, perhaps, on the former…formal on the latter.

• 1 year later...

We finally splurged and booked the Royal Suite for our anniversary cruise. My DW says we will most likely be invited to dine with the Captain one night and I should pack my tux. We were invited twice on the same cruise to dine with the Captain a few years ago on Celebrity but never on RC. Being we are in the Royal Suite and D+ what are our chances of being "invited" ?

We finally splurged and booked the Royal Suite for our anniversary cruise. My DW says we will most likely be invited to dine with the Captain one night and I should pack my tux. We were invited twice on the same cruise to dine with the Captain a few years ago on Celebrity but never on RC. Being we are in the Royal Suite and D+ what are our chances of being "invited" ?

I think you have a good chance But you never know, we meet a nice couple a few years ago and they had a royal suite and they were invited. We were invited once truly a great dinner with excellent wine.

Probably helps your chances...but nowhere near a sure thing...

As I noted, we’ve dined at the Captain’s Table a large number of times...but we are never entirely sure why. We have hypothesized several possibilities, different for almost every cruise. We have noted that they often invite the couple with the most cruises on that particular line (which has never been us...though one cruise, we were #2 and were invited). We believe that, on at least a couple of occasions, the shots were called by the corporate office in Miami...Other times, it was clearly the call of the Captains Club or Crown and Anchor host/hostess...at least one time, she told us as much. Others we’ve dined with were there for various reasons: One was a couple who gave up their booked cabin and downgraded so another passenger with a handicapped son could get the cabin next to theirs. Another time, one of our Captain’s Table mates was a woman who had spent 20 years as a Purser on RCCL ships...Another time, a table mate was the US Ambassador to some European country and his wife...

But there has never seemed to be any hard and fast rule as to who gets invited...

Yes, perhaps the OP really meant Chef's Table.

We were invited once to the Captain's Table. This is an old thread but we have fond memories...and our best meal to date. We got our invitation waiting in our cabin while onboard the Voyager of the Seas (Sydney/New Zealand cruise), for the New Year's Eve dinner. (and to think we first thought it was a joke until we confirmed it with the LA.)

What I remember was meeting and talking to the Captain before entering the MDR. The Captain's table was located at the very center of the MDR so all the passengers, around and above us, can see the table. Everything seemed to be "special"...the utensils, the plates, the glasses, and even the napkins. (We were told not sit down until the Captain sat down.)

Various wines were served throughout dinner. I remember having the most tender piece of filet...and having our photos taken by the ship's photographer. (After a couple or more glasses of fine wine, I couldn't remember much.) I do remember having great tablemates, getting the special menu signed/autographed by the Captain, and receiving free copies of the group/table photo. What a way to welcome the new year, 2016. :)

Note: To this day, we still don't know how we got invited..would love to be invited again.:D:confused:;)

I think you have a good chance But you never know, we meet a nice couple a few years ago and they had a royal suite and they were invited. We were invited once truly a great dinner with excellent wine.

Hey George, I think we were that ‘nice couple’ you mentioned. I saw some of your other posts and pretty certain we meet you and your wife, Sheryl I think, on that cruise out of Galveston.

Lost your contact info from four years ago.... can’t believe it has been that long! I think we were going to try and meet you all for dinner at your favorite Italian restaurant but unfortunately we were not able to connect with you. If my memory is correct the restaurant was Lewisville area.

We are Mark and Martha if that rings a bell????