Harvey leaves cruise passengers at sea..

shrimp56

Considering more rain is expected over the next couple of days, it's probably too soon to tell. A dry car today could be underwater by Monday.

That is true. I remember what happen to the car in the Brooklyn , Red Hook cruise terminal during Sandy.

At this point all we know for sure is the ships can't return to port until it's opened by the port authority and the next sailing will probably be delayed.

or even cancelled. Most of the cruises out of Galveston are <= 7 days. So if a a ship was due in yesterday, today or Sunday and the ships can't get into the port until later this week, cancellation, while regrettable, might be the 'best' choice.

Its schedule to rain heavily here for the next 4-5 days. It will be interesting to see when the port reopens.

We've been watching the news & it doesn't look pretty, feel for all those people caught up in this. The cruise lines knew this was coming, the weather forecasts have been predicting this for awhile now, they must have had a plan B? If nothing else your 7 day cruise could now be a 10-14 day cruise.

Allan

Another reason to purchase travel insurance.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Like.

I was reading somewhere that the people still on the ships must be 'happy' to have their vacation extended. Doubtful that's true for many who now have to contend with (a) trying to change airfare home with flight schedules out of Houston in shambles, (b) if they drove to the port, the possibility that the extreme rainfall in the areas they need to travel will cause even more of a delay getting home, © lost time at work may change or cancel any other days off they have scheduled this year....all out of their control.

Between the fog issues Galveston has during the time of year we normally cruise and the number of times (albeit not huge) that I've heard of this port closing for a hurricane, I'll pass on Galveston as a point of embarkation.

Then again, I buy travel insurance whenever we cruise so at least I'd had some protection.

Like.

I was reading somewhere that the people still on the ships must be 'happy' to have their vacation extended. Doubtful that's true for many who now have to contend with (a) trying to change airfare home with flight schedules out of Houston in shambles, (b) if they drove to the port, the possibility that the extreme rainfall in the areas they need to travel will cause even more of a delay getting home, © lost time at work may change or cancel any other days off they have scheduled this year....all out of their control.

Between the fog issues Galveston has during the time of year we normally cruise and the number of times (albeit not huge) that I've heard of this port closing for a hurricane, I'll pass on Galveston as a point of embarkation.

Then again, I buy travel insurance whenever we cruise so at least I'd had some protection.

I think that alot of the cruisers departing from Galveston drive to the port rather than fly in. Some friends of mine here in Oklahoma do that for example, even though it is at least a 6 hour drive.

Liberty of the Seas going to Miami arriving Tuesday. Passengers have option of getting off there or taking ship back to Gavelston arriving Friday. Have no idea what the three Carnival ships are doing other than two went to New Orleans to re-provision and one stayed in Cozumel.

Several very interesting discussions on RCCL boards on how RCCL and Carnival handled the situation.