Ebfurr's official Liberty Saga Thread

EBFURR

Actually, I have been online and on the phone this afternoon trying to find something. It is tough because most are booked, very expensive, or airfare costs as much as cruise. We are still debating on just going back to work on Tuesday and scheduling for another week (maybe next week with Monday being a holiday) or possibly even just going down to the beach for a few days. Now that all of it is over, we are just sort of drained and let down. As I said, this is nothing compared to the folks who are actually in that storm so we have a lot to be thankful for in spite of missing the cruise. At this point regardless of how RCI handled it we would not be on a cruise. Well, not unless they actually released us on Friday like that other line did. Maybe we could have gotten something else worked out but who knows?? Would have been good to have the chance anyway. You all take care and get the insurance :cool:

Hey, there's an idea. Maybe I can be the poster boy for cruise insurance.

EBFURR, I too have been following your story. First off, I have to say, please stop beating yourself up over the insurance, please! We all know, you know.

I am so sorry about your cruise and all the anguish you went through. Royal should be ashamed! I could not believe what I was reading from them. I know I will remember this if I ever sail with them again and on principle, more than likely not.

I want to wish you a very happy Anniversary and I hope you can spend some quality time together and look back on this whole thing and have a laugh about it. Might be too soon yet though.;p

I think the poster in another thread that said have a nice dinner and some wine and just celebrate was spot on!

EBFURR, I have followed your story on the other thread. I'm so glad you will be refunded. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful anniversary despite the disappointment. We are booked on our first RCI cruise in a couple of weeks to celebrate our 30th anniversary, and Royal's handling of this situation has made me very uneasy. But we're trying to keep a positive attitude and praying for calm weather.

EBFURR,

I have read your thread all week. I am sorry you missed out on your cruise. We love cruising too. However, I live in League City , Texas and had to swim out of my flooded neighborhood with my husband today. Our dogs were on the raft we pushed ahead of us as we swam through the creek. We are safe, with the clothes on our back at a friends house tonight. Hug your wife and be grateful for all of your blessings. Despite possibly losing everything last night and today, we have each other and our dogs❤️

EBFURR,

I have read your thread all week. I am sorry you missed out on your cruise. We love cruising too. However, I live in League City , Texas and had to swim out of my flooded neighborhood with my husband today. Our dogs were on the raft we pushed ahead of us as we swam through the creek. We are safe, with the clothes on our back at a friends house tonight. Hug your wife and be grateful for all of your blessings. Despite possibly losing everything last night and today, we have each other and our dogs❤️

Bless you - we will say a prayer for all of you!

We had a close friend who went through almost the very same experience a year ago in the Louisiana flood that flooded more than 146,000 homes - the national media didn't being cover that story 1% as much as this one unfortunately for those folks. They lost everything too, but always kept going, knowing that their lives were the most important thing. Thanks to their personal mental strength and patience...they have rebuilt and recovered.

You are obviously very strong and forthright people - commendable!

Thanks for putting things in perspective.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

EBFURR,

So sorry. As I have said, my posts were regarding our issues with the cruise for the consumption of fellow cruisers who might have a similar situation. These problems are less than trivial compared to what you folks are experiencing. I in no way mean to minimize what is happening in Texas. Vacation issues are meaningless by comparison. We do hope that the proper help reaches you and you are able to put things back together. We have been through hurricanes and had property damage but nothing even close to what you are going through. I cannot even imagine. Continue to have faith and hang on to each other. Also, we are "dog people" so I am glad your dogs made it with you. Please do keep us updated as to your situation. You have our prayers.

So sorry. As I have said, my posts were regarding our issues with the cruise for the consumption of fellow cruisers who might have a similar situation. These problems are less than trivial compared to what you folks are experiencing. I in no way mean to minimize what is happening in Texas. Vacation issues are meaningless by comparison. We do hope that the proper help reaches you and you are able to put things back together. We have been through hurricanes and had property damage but nothing even close to what you are going through. I cannot even imagine. Continue to have faith and hang on to each other. Also, we are "dog people" so I am glad your dogs made it with you. Please do keep us updated as to your situation. You have our prayers.

Bravo.

EBFurr, anything that you prepaid in connection with the cruise (beverage, dining, spa, etc.) will be refunded to you. It will, however, come in dribs and drabs. For some reason, amounts are refunded not in the full amount you paid, but in pieces, because I think they come from different internal accounts.

Check you card statements, and add up the different amounts against what you paid. In the end, it should all equal out.

Thankful that you didn't try to get to the Houston/Galveston area for a cruise that never went. I have a friend on Liberty right now; trying to find out what they are doing with people...are they staying on board and then heading back to Galveston, or are they disembarking some who may not be from the area and helping them get home from Miami? At least she and her husband are safe and I believe that their home was okay as well, but haven't had an update in a while about that.

Can only hope and pray for all residents of the area in the ongoing storm and aftermath.

EBFurr, anything that you prepaid in connection with the cruise (beverage, dining, spa, etc.) will be refunded to you. It will, however, come in dribs and drabs. For some reason, amounts are refunded not in the full amount you paid, but in pieces, because I think they come from different internal accounts.

Check you card statements, and add up the different amounts against what you paid. In the end, it should all equal out.

Thankful that you didn't try to get to the Houston/Galveston area for a cruise that never went. I have a friend on Liberty right now; trying to find out what they are doing with people...are they staying on board and then heading back to Galveston, or are they disembarking some who may not be from the area and helping them get home from Miami? At least she and her husband are safe and I believe that their home was okay as well, but haven't had an update in a while about that.

Can only hope and pray for all residents of the area in the ongoing storm and aftermath.

Bravo #2!

P.S...in another thread...onboard passengers indicated they are safe and porting in Miami. It's fair to assume that the logistics of getting people home (especially with numerous cancelled flights to the region) will be a mess no matter what.

Thank you for the info. I sort of suspected that since some of the pre-paid purchase receipts seem to come from a different place. I tried to go over that with the rep, but after they marked my reservation as cancelled he could not see anything. They have another $350 or so of our money in addition to the cruise fare. We use a debit card so I watch my account on my phone and computer. The rep was sufficiently vague except for a 3-5 days statement so we really do not know what to expect. Since we are now out of pocket for a replacement cruise that I just booked the funds will be welcome.

Actually, we did try really hard to get to Galveston since RCI insisted that the cruise would sail. Only the fact that all of our flights were (thankfully) cancelled kept us dry. We have to feel for those who actually did go and of course those who live there.

Thank you for the info. I sort of suspected that since some of the pre-paid purchase receipts seem to come from a different place. I tried to go over that with the rep, but after they marked my reservation as cancelled he could not see anything. They have another $350 or so of our money in addition to the cruise fare. We use a debit card so I watch my account on my phone and computer. The rep was sufficiently vague except for a 3-5 days statement so we really do not know what to expect. Since we are now out of pocket for a replacement cruise that I just booked the funds will be welcome.

Actually, we did try really hard to get to Galveston since RCI insisted that the cruise would sail. Only the fact that all of our flights were (thankfully) cancelled kept us dry. We have to feel for those who actually did go and of course those who live there.

I would be surprised if you see all the pieces of the refund in 3-5 days. When we cancelled in the past, it took almost 2 weeks to see it all. You should see excursions and drink packages come separately. Taxes and fees came as on piece and then the actual cruise fare came in a few different refunds. I was able to use my invoice to check of some of the identifiable numbers, like taxes and fees, and then all the other pieces were the cruse fare.

EBFURR, thank you for the updates, DW and I really like RCI but to see how they handled this situation is down right shameful. We sail in 2 weeks and we want to be optimistic but just not sure now. Our prayers go out to all in Texas who are trying to endure what Mother Nature unfolded. My cruise fails to compare to those who have lost everything.

On Debit card refunds, I have waited 7 days for cancelled drink packages to show up (when better pricing is known).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just file a dispute. Funds are generally put right back on your card.

Just file a dispute. Funds are generally put right back on your card.

The thought crossed my mind, but since they have indicated that they will give the refund I will give them a chance to do so. I will file a dispute if that does not come to pass. I am upset with them and do not wish to do business with them, but I am not unreasonable. Even after all this they deserve a chance to do what they promised.

Just curious, if you had the cruise insurance, do you think you would have given up on trying to get to Galveston sooner? In other words, did not having insurance influence your attempt to travel?

Just curious, if you had the cruise insurance, do you think you would have given up on trying to get to Galveston sooner? In other words, did not having insurance influence your attempt to travel?

That is a very good question and I am not sure that I have a full answer. I suppose ti would depend upon the cancellation clause among other things. Normally the "cancel for any reason" clause is 75% recovery which is not too attractive. That is especially true since it was a special occasion and my wife really wanted to go. However, I distinctly remember saying to her on Saturday that if I could get out of it without losing all our money that I would. There was a part of me that wanted to believe that RCI really could get that ship in and out, but all of the facts and evidence seemed to indicate otherwise. I believe that at the least I probably would have rested easier knowing that we had an "out". Someone said we could have gotten full recovery with insurance after the disaster declaration which was early Saturday I believe. If that were the case I probably would have bailed at some point on Saturday.

That is a very good question and I am not sure that I have a full answer. I suppose ti would depend upon the cancellation clause among other things. Normally the "cancel for any reason" clause is 75% recovery which is not too attractive. That is especially true since it was a special occasion and my wife really wanted to go. However, I distinctly remember saying to her on Saturday that if I could get out of it without losing all our money that I would. There was a part of me that wanted to believe that RCI really could get that ship in and out, but all of the facts and evidence seemed to indicate otherwise. I believe that at the least I probably would have rested easier knowing that we had an "out". Someone said we could have gotten full recovery with insurance after the disaster declaration which was early Saturday I believe. If that were the case I probably would have bailed at some point on Saturday.

If you had the insurance might you have chosen to say go to another cruise out of a different port thinking you might get some or all of your money later. Like I said, we always get insurance but we have never had to use it. I am sure we have paid for a least a couple of cruises with the funds spent on insurance. Just trying to help justify our continued funding of the plan.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

EBFURR, your response is so on point. Thank you for sharing your saga with your plans over the past few days. We have enjoyed the RCL product many times just as you have. It is so disappointing to see how they dropped the ball on this weeks cruise departure from Galveston. I really wonder how many folks wound up in the area trapped because of the wrong-headed decisions made by RCL leading up to the planned August 27 departure.

They had such an opportunity to lead in this matter but failed so miserably. If they had made passenger safety the reasons behind their decision points it would have been a somewhat successful resolution in what is overall, a horrendous natural disaster for the people of that area. They could have diverted some of the food for this week's cruise to an area shelter, etc. Instead they wallowed in their decision making letting financials get in the way of their customers. Again it is sad when a company that has brought our family so many good times screws the pooch.

Hope you enjoyed a nice meal for your anniversary. We celebrated our 25th, ironically on the Adventure of the Seas, last month.

Please Lord let that dang storm disapate and move out of the area so the tough task of rebuilding lives can begin.

First off I want to say that I hope you two have a wonderful anniversary in spite of your missed cruise. Just think - this will definitely be one you will remember.

Second, my family has so far been Carnival only cruisers. We have really been thinking about trying Royal but with all this I'm not so sure I would want to. I know a lot of people say Carnival is the lowest of low, poor man's cruise line but we have always been happy and I think most would be willing to admit they certainly did a better job of keeping their customers updated in this instance.

I am happy you are getting a full refund and you finally got the answers you needed, although not the ones you wanted.

Once again, Happy Anniversary!

EB, Happy Anniversary! Many More!

Check your card that you used to pay...sometimes they include travel insurance that may re-imburse you something. I know my Chase card does, even if I only put part of the trip on it.

M