Taking Food Ashore to Islands (For a Diabetic) South Pacific)

HI, All I have a question i am going to go on a cruise with a friend and she is a diabetic and has to take some sort of food with her every where. My question is when you go to the islands etc. they say on the ship No food is to be taken off the ship)... As this has never concerned me before as i am fine was just wondering how all the other diabetics handle this situation.

She would probably need to pack some muesli bars and some jelly beans etc. There is no problem with getting a few letters from her Doctor here to take along. Any answers would be appreciated. Regards Zanny

HI, All I have a question i am going to go on a cruise with a friend and she is a diabetic and has to take some sort of food with her every where. My question is when you go to the islands etc. they say on the ship No food is to be taken off the ship)... As this has never concerned me before as i am fine was just wondering how all the other diabetics handle this situation.

She would probably need to pack some muesli bars and some jelly beans etc. There is no problem with getting a few letters from her Doctor here to take along. Any answers would be appreciated. Regards Zanny

Most places will let you take off factory sealed items.

2 weeks ago at champagne bay we took 2 bacon and egg muffins ashore.

Oops. Sorry, but you should not have done that. You probably ate them yourselves, but food should not be taken ashore for biosecurity reasons. An exception can be made for processed and factory-sealed foods.

As a diabetic, I stock up with packaged health bars, muesli bars, packs of tiny teddies! Avoid nuts and fruit packs as even though they are sealed, they may still cause issues. I have never had any problems taking these off the ship.

Please do not take fresh food onto islands. They are pristine places because they have not had introduced bugs etc.

Speaking as a Diabetic the only backup you ever need is Glucose jellybeans available at the chemist. A bit like the advice for a certain card, I never leave home without them. 3 or 4 of them will pull you out of a hypo in a couple of minutes, or if you have become familiar with the feeling before a hypo starts a couple of beans will avert it, and this is speaking from experience.

You will never have any restriction placed on taking them into any country, always declare them, particularly NZ.

HI, Thanks everyone for your answers. I am surprised that someone took bacon and egg muffins ashore. I hope you won't do that again on any future cruise as you get told many times and in the daily paper No food to be taken ashore. (this is why i posted my post regarding how you get on if you are a diabetic. Champagne Bay is my favourite place in the pacific i would hate the ships to stop going there. Thanks again Regards Zanny.

HI, Thanks everyone for your answers. I am surprised that someone took bacon and egg muffins ashore. I hope you won't do that again on any future cruise as you get told many times and in the daily paper No food to be taken ashore. (this is why i posted my post regarding how you get on if you are a diabetic. Champagne Bay is my favourite place in the pacific i would hate the ships to stop going there. Thanks again Regards Zanny.

Glad we could help, we wish you all a great trip.

When we were on Explorer of the Seas in January they had a table set up before you dinged off and were checking peoples bags and confiscating food including pre packaged muesli bars and lots of the small packs of cereal from the buffet, it was amazing how much fresh food, fruit pasties etc that were there, they said it was being done under advice from the Vanuatu ports as a lot of food was being taken ashore. We have never seen this before or after, we were on the Voyager 2 weeks later and they didn't do it. It slowed up the disembarking process dramatically. Only did it at the Vanuatu ports not the New Caledonean ones.

Speaking as a Diabetic the only backup you ever need is Glucose jellybeans available at the chemist. A bit like the advice for a certain card, I never leave home without them. 3 or 4 of them will pull you out of a hypo in a couple of minutes, or if you have become familiar with the feeling before a hypo starts a couple of beans will avert it, and this is speaking from experience.

You will never have any restriction placed on taking them into any country, always declare them, particularly NZ.

It is not an issue taking such items ashore in New Zealand.