Food for pescatarians

Lynnw5

Interesting term, pescaterian, which I have never heard before. I suppose then that to a large extent I fall into that category but sometimes stray and feast on the swine. I almost always eat seafood on the ship. Last night at home we had Coho Salmon.

My DH is a pescatarian and has never had a problem... lots of choices. I like eating at the Crown Grill Steak Restaurant (I'm not a pescatarian) and DH always finds enough to eat there, too. He really enjoys the Chilean Sea Bass, Tiger Prawns and Black & Blue Onion Soup.

Just between you and I, Sandy, and do not tell your Hubby, that onion soup is more than likely going to contain beef stock. It is the most typical stock used for an onion soup recipe.

Once again thanks for all the advice, I didn't realise it would start such a device over the word pescatarian :-)

It is no problem and it is an interesting word, not often seen here in the States.

If you would like to start another thread about tipping or formal nights, now that is some fun.

I'm a part-time vegetarian--participating in Meatless Mondays for around six years now. The rest of the time, I usually stick to the seafood dishes. I will eat, however, chicken, pork, and beef occasionally.

On our 12-day British isles cruise last month, I filled out the special dietary request for DH. The head waiter was very good the first couple of nights but then seemed to forget us. In DH's case, he avoids nuts and seeds. A few times he was able to order dishes without a nut garnish--like the watermelon and feta appetizer with pumpkin seeds.

One morning I ordered a special at breakfast that included sausage, ham, and bacon--but without the meats. I was surprised to see the waiter removing those items from the plate rather than having put in an order to the galley without them. In my case, it did not matter. But a true vegetarian or someone keeping kosher or hallal would have a problem.

Just between you and I, Sandy, and do not tell your Hubby, that onion soup is more than likely going to contain beef stock. It is the most typical stock used for an onion soup recipe.

Exactly right -- it is made with a beef broth.

So is the French Onion soup in the MDR. However, it looked so good that I asked the Head Waiter if they could make it for me with a vegetarian base. The very next evening, I was able to enjoy it, cow-free! Really, really good.

Not.

Totally agree, presbyterianism is part of the reformed tradition within protestantism which traces its origins to Scotland. Their churches derive their name from the presbyterian form of church government which is regulated by representative assemblies of elders who eat fish. You might notice people driving cars around the UK with a fish logo on the rear.

Lol John

So is the French Onion soup in the MDR. However, it looked so good that I asked the Head Waiter if they could make it for me with a vegetarian base. The very next evening, I was able to enjoy it, cow-free! Really, really good.

That is why you always order dinner one night in advance from the Head Waiter if you have dietary restrictions. The waiters are not trained to handle dietary restrictions.With the advance order, they would have no problem making the soup with a vegetable broth or making other adjustments to meet your restrictions.

I'll bet. And very nice Customer Service from the staff also.

I have been a pescatarian for 34 years. To further complicate matters we only eat Kosher fish. One of the main reasons we are so loyal to Princess is because they offer plenty of vegetarian and fish options we can eat. You will be fine.

On our Scandinavian cruise, though, tI ended up having salmon about four times. It was delicious! The buffet had more fish options than did the Dining Rooms.

How can random fish on the buffet be kosher?

Isn't it prepared in a non-kosher kitchen, with along with other non-kosher foods?

When we ask a day in advance of going to the Crown Grill, they have made the onion soup for him with a vegetable base. They are very accommodating, as is the main DR.