Hurricane Irma Watch

Pretty ridiculous how RCI is not giving us a third option in getting a full refund with the 25% future credit. Our money is tied down on their side, when I can use it toward another vacation/plans/or other arrangements. Unbelievable.

cruzer3, why don't you sue the atmosphere and the moon cycles. Post back here when you win that lawsuit. Why do you buy something with huge risk of loss, and then post on a msg forum about your entitlement after buying into huge risk?

I agree styxfire- thousands of people out of home and house- often destroyed beyond repair and eventually even without food or drinkwater- and some complain about a missed cruises - which is refunded plus extra´s, how decadent can people really get!

Well what goes around comes around- those complainers should never forget that!

cruzer3, why don't you sue the atmosphere and the moon cycles. Post back here when you win that lawsuit. Why do you buy something with huge risk of loss, and then post on a msg forum about your entitlement after buying into huge risk?

AKA - "The man who sued god" - the Billy Connolly film

You're ... on a cruise forum. If you want to link to specific charities or volunteer organizations in a slightly less aggressive way, I'm sure at least some people would appreciate the info.
Actually, I'd check with the moderators about that. Many online forums prohibit fundraising without permission, even for very important causes.

Your comment about the cruiseline meteorologist was out of line. This record-breaking storm has been a nightmare for all weather professionals to predict. A true nightmare, as they are all aware of the ignorant public who base every last-minute move on a MODEL. Educated folks know what the word "model" means. But the majority of society interprets the word "model" as "something we can sue and win millions if the model is wrong".
Very true. All such storms are unpredictable and the general public's expectation that anyone should know what's going to happen with perfect accuracy more than twelve to twenty-four hours in advance is unreasonable and very likely nothing more than an irrational reaction to the reality of an inescapable and standard level of uncertainty. People hate to have their plans open-ended due to volatility and so they recklessly lash out at whoever is closest to the source of the volatility. It's unhelpful, both to themselves and to others drawn into the tumult their lashing out causes.

It's NOT Royal Caribbean's responsibility to reimburse YOU for the record-breaking act of nature.
This is also very true. Again, people lash out at whoever is closest to the source of the volatility, even if that is another victim. Putting aside for a minute the real victims of this tragic storm (those living in the areas devasted by it), I can assure you that some cruise line shareholders have lost more money from these storms than any cruise line passenger has.

The weather is no one's fault other than the planet's, and the fact that it is unsatisfying to be angry at the planet and that you cannot sue the planet does not justify misdirecting that anger toward others.

Yikes!! I came onto this thread to learn a bit more about the hurricane and how people are re-arranging their plans or making the best of the situation. I didn't expect it to be so damn nasty.

Are we all adults??

I am actually completely stupid and hadn't even realised it was hurricane season! Forgive, I live in the UK and in my own little World sometimes. Of course if my cruise gets cancelled or amended I'll be disappointed however this won't be RCC fault. And I'm more concerned about those peoples life affected by this awful storm.

I know we all save up our money and look forward to our time away but see the bigger picture guys.

They keep trotting Van Fleet out and he either gives inaccurate info or sticks to a canned script. Calling that out is fair game. RCI has made him a public figure on TV, Twitter, etc. They have to expect push back and questioning.

What can he say that hasn't been said? What's inaccurate?

Update on American Airlines flights (from the Sun-Sentinel):

Updated 4:45 a.m., Thursday.
has announced that because of Hurricane Irma, it will stop operations at the airports in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Miami and Fort Myers on Friday afternoon. Flights that were scheduled to arrive in Miami Friday from Europe and South America have also been canceled. The last departure from Miami’s airport will be Flight 2213 scheduled to leave 3:39 p.m. for Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas.Additionally, in Orlando, American Airlines will wind down operations Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. and all flights will be canceled Sunday. The airline will continue to evaluate operations at other Florida airports, including Sarasota and Tampa, and will make adjustments as necessary.

What can he say that hasn't been said? What's inaccurate?

If he can't say anything that has not been said, why put him out publicly fielding questions? His responses read like canned CSR scripts. If that's what you intend to do, just leave it to the CSR's. To wheel out your expert and have them smiled and nod and give canned replies just rings hollow. Don't even bother. Who is the weather expert for Carnival or NCL on Twitter?

We all come here because we enjoy one thing, cruising. Whether it be RC, Carnival, Norwegian, MSC, etc I am starting to come to grip that Irma may be the storm that turns the cruise industry upside down. For the past 2-4 yrs cruising has really peaked and continued to grow for all cruise companies. We have already seen the devastation in St Maarten. I think it's safe to say there will be no cruises headed there for up to one year. I have not seen pics of St Thomas but have heard it is in very bad shape. How long will it take to recover there is yet to be determined but I would imagine there will be some delays cruising to St Thomas. Unfortunately it looks like the Turks will end up much like St Maarten as the eye will go directly over or within miles if you look at current tracks. Then we have Miami and FFL. Nobody knows were Irma will end up but the models all put her within striking distance. I have seen several models that would devastate Miami and FFL. There is a chance that both of these ports could be not operable for months. We have also seen models that would put Port Canaveral in danger of being not operable for weeks.

Not trying to be Debbie downer but there is a very realistic chance that come Monday the cruising industry is turned upside down. Just trying to put things in perspective for us cruising enthusiasts. I hope all the best for anyone in fla or if you have property in fla.

We all come here because we enjoy one thing, cruising. Whether it be RC, Carnival, Norwegian, MSC, etc I am starting to come to grip that Irma may be the storm that turns the cruise industry upside down. For the past 2-4 yrs cruising has really peaked and continued to grow for all cruise companies. We have already seen the devastation in St Maarten. I think it's safe to say there will be no cruises headed there for up to one year. I have not seen pics of St Thomas but have heard it is in very bad shape. How long will it take to recover there is yet to be determined but I would imagine there will be some delays cruising to St Thomas. Unfortunately it looks like the Turks will end up much like St Maarten as the eye will go directly over or within miles if you look at current tracks. Then we have Miami and FFL. Nobody knows were Irma will end up but the models all put her within striking distance. I have seen several models that would devastate Miami and FFL. There is a chance that both of these ports could be not operable for months. We have also seen models that would put Port Canaveral in danger of being not operable for weeks.

Not trying to be Debbie downer but there is a very realistic chance that come Monday the cruising industry is turned upside down. Just trying to put things in perspective for us cruising enthusiasts. I hope all the best for anyone in fla or if you have property in fla.

When Andrew hit Port Canaveral last year, the port was re-open within days. It looks like Irma will be the same strength when it gets there. These American ports have A LOT of money riding on their operation, they can have them back rather quickly.

Now these other areas like you mentioned...they don't have the same resources and it could be months. I'd expect countless changed itineraries and more days at sea.

To "styxfire": THANK YOU "styxfire". I enjoyed reading your recent posts/rants and agree with most of what you said. I have also disagreed (for a very long time) with some on these posters who feel the need to be negative and post over and over again within threads.

To those of you who are stressing: I completely understand your emotions and desire to find reassurance and answers to your questions; I wish you the best. We follow the news and track predictions because we live in an area that has been in the path of hurricanes and fully know the risk involved in our booking cruises during this time of year. For us there is a double risk in leaving our house to cruise as well as the possibility of our scheduled sailing being altered during Hurricane Season.

To those of you in the hurricane's path: our prayers and positive thoughts go out to you.

Now these other areas like you mentioned...they don't have the same resources and it could be months. I'd expect countless changed itineraries and more days at sea.
St. Maarten, St. Kitts and Barbuda are going to be special cases. I bet that cruise ships will visit a majority of the other ports affected by these hurricanes by Spring, and perhaps other ports that have been less visited will have a surge to make up for it. This will have significant but not lasting impact on the industry itself.

When Andrew hit Port Canaveral last year, the port was re-open within days. It looks like Irma will be the same strength when it gets there. These American ports have A LOT of money riding on their operation, they can have them back rather quickly.

You can't compare Matthew non direct hit to the potential direct hit of Irma. In addition Irma is more powerful than Matthew not to mention she will be going south to north direction most likely which will be the worse possible direction for South Fla. finally u mentioned port Canaveral was open within days. Put into perspective how much longer a direct hit would take.

Currently on the Harmony. What ports can take the oasis class ships. I know the port of Miami, port of Fort Lauderdale, and the port of Galveston can. I know Jacksonville and Tampa cannot. Can Port Canaveral accommodate us? NOLA?

Port Canaveral can, if they are open.