Hurricane Irma Watch

St. Maarten, St. Kitts and Barbuda are going to be special cases. I bet that cruise ships will visit a majority of the other ports affected by these hurricanes by Spring, and perhaps other ports that have been less visited will have a surge to make up for it. This will have significant but not lasting impact on the industry itself.

My cruise is early nov and going to St Martin, BVI , Antigua, st Kitts and st Vincent - Not royal but on one of their older ships now sold to Thomson (which Royal are involved with).

Not sure I really sure I want to see those islands they have been so devastated, on the other hand I know if the ship does stop there I should go and spend money in them to help. May see if there are any homes or schools needing toys/pens etc as the some of the kids must have lost most of their stuff. No matter what happens to my cruise - even if it ends a sea one - I count my blessings after watching the video I put on a few posts back of BVI. So no moaning about what happens to my cruise from me!

Currently on the Harmony. What ports can take the oasis class ships. I know the port of Miami, port of Fort Lauderdale, and the port of Galveston can. I know Jacksonville and Tampa cannot. Can Port Canaveral accommodate us? NOLA?

Can Miami? To the best of my memory it hasn't done so yet. The new terminal that they plan to use for Symphony and Allure is under construction, but can an Oasis class make further down the channel where existing ships go, or walk off the south side? Just wondering, flame if you must.

Currently on the Harmony. What ports can take the oasis class ships. I know the port of Miami, port of Fort Lauderdale, and the port of Galveston can. I know Jacksonville and Tampa cannot. Can Port Canaveral accommodate us? NOLA?

Don't think NOLA can either... neither can Galveston, they are working on expansion but have not yet started the dredging for Oasis class...I think Galveston Cruiser can comment on that.

As each day passes, I notice the eye moves a little more to the east.
And I've noticed it slowing. I remember in an earlier image, the Sunday morning location for the center of the hurricane was over Central Florida. Now it is south of the Florida Keys.

We all come here because we enjoy one thing, cruising. Whether it be RC, Carnival, Norwegian, MSC, etc I am starting to come to grip that Irma may be the storm that turns the cruise industry upside down. For the past 2-4 yrs cruising has really peaked and continued to grow for all cruise companies. We have already seen the devastation in St Maarten. I think it's safe to say there will be no cruises headed there for up to one year. I have not seen pics of St Thomas but have heard it is in very bad shape. How long will it take to recover there is yet to be determined but I would imagine there will be some delays cruising to St Thomas. Unfortunately it looks like the Turks will end up much like St Maarten as the eye will go directly over or within miles if you look at current tracks. Then we have Miami and FFL. Nobody knows were Irma will end up but the models all put her within striking distance. I have seen several models that would devastate Miami and FFL. There is a chance that both of these ports could be not operable for months. We have also seen models that would put Port Canaveral in danger of being not operable for weeks.

Not trying to be Debbie downer but there is a very realistic chance that come Monday the cruising industry is turned upside down. Just trying to put things in perspective for us cruising enthusiasts. I hope all the best for anyone in fla or if you have property in fla.

How can you make these predictions when you just saw how quickly Galveston is back after Harvey? You don't know anything for sure and your notion St. Thomas will take a year to have ships in is ludicrous. Ike was a direct hit back in 2008 and Galveston was back in 3 months.

Don't think NOLA can either... neither can Galveston, they are working on expansion but have not yet started the dredging for Oasis class...I think Galveston Cruiser can comment on that.

Uh oh! I thought the port of Miami could. If the port of Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral are damaged we don't have very many options! Am I correct?

Uh oh! I thought the port of Miami could. If the port of Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral are damaged we don't have very many options! Am I correct?

I am not sure if Harmony can get into Miami, definitely not NOLA as Liberty couldn't get in there, so no way Oasis class can. Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral are the only options that I am aware of.

They will get you guys in somewhere once the storm passes. It might not be to the same terminal you left from, but that port will get open as soon as they can not because of the cruises but because of all the other shipping that happens from that port.

I am not sure if Harmony can get into Miami, definitely not NOLA as Liberty couldn't get in there, so no way Oasis class can. Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral are the only options that I am aware of.

They will get you guys in somewhere once the storm passes. It might not be to the same terminal you left from, but that port will get open as soon as they can not because of the cruises but because of all the other shipping that happens from that port.

I live in central Florida so I definitely agree with you that the ports will have priority as far as repairs, personnel etc are concerned. Just trying to determine what would happen if those two ports are damaged. Perhaps take us back to Jamaica so we can fly home?

Our biggest worry now is Bella. She is with the kids on Merritt Island, but she makes evacuation plans for them more difficult.

I wonder if I can smuggle her on Oasis next week. [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Put a little smock on her labeled "service dog". ;) Well....she actually IS your emotional support dog! :)

I live in central Florida so I definitely agree with you that the ports will have priority as far as repairs, personnel etc are concerned. Just trying to determine what would happen if those two ports are damaged. Perhaps take us back to Jamaica so we can fly home?

I would be curious as well. Is anchoring offshore and using smaller boats a possibility if the ports do get damaged? I can't remember all the terms...I think it's tendering. I remember they did it at a port once and we all took smaller boats to get to shore. It would take a long time, but might be easier or better than dropping all these people off in Jamaica or somewhere else.

Really don't know. Positive thoughts that it won't even be an issue.:)

Eat some steamers and a lobster roll and say a little prayer for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks..and you be safe down there! Are you riding it out? My sister is a doctor and is staying in Stuart to ride it

out. I am worried about all of my fellow Floridians down there.

I keep watching the weather channel up here in dread, but hoping for the best.

I would be curious as well. Is anchoring offshore and using smaller boats a possibility if the ports do get damaged? I can't remember all the terms...I think it's tendering. I remember they did it at a port once and we all took smaller boats to get to shore. It would take a long time, but might be easier or better than dropping all these people off in Jamaica or somewhere else.

All possible options would have to be eliminated for them to even consider tendering passengers and baggage off an Oasis class ship. Those ships do not even visit tender ports like Grand Cayman.

If no Florida ports are available due to damage, they will find an alternative port to dock and disembark passengers.

Really don't know. Positive thoughts that it won't even be an issue.:)

Me neither. I talked to a fellow passenger this morning and she tried to get off here in Cozumel and it was going to be a very long and complicated process. It would take about 4 to 5 hours to leave the ship get a ferry and get themselves to Cancun to fly out. I think the people on Jamaica have it a little bit easier. I think you could get transportation from Falmouth to Kingstown and be able to fly out from there.

\

I completely agree. I saved up all year for this cruise (Oasis on September 10)and it's all I have for vacation. Now we have RCL cancelling the cruise I paid for and just holding my money to be used on some future cruise, which will likely cost a lot more than I paid for this one (booked on cyber Monday and got a really good deal with on-board credits). If they would just refund the money now and give a 25% credit for a future cruise, I would be OK with that.

I will trade you that for my hurricane deductible amount if I lose my house in Florida.

Me neither. I talked to a fellow passenger this morning and she tried to get off here in Cozumel and it was going to be a very long and complicated process. It would take about 4 to 5 hours to leave the ship get a ferry and get themselves to Cancun to fly out. I think the people on Jamaica have it a little bit easier. I think you could get transportation from Falmouth to Kingstown and be able to fly out from there.

Nassua would be where I think they would head, but with Jose playing out there after Irma, who knows.

How spoiled are you lot complaining about receiving refunds when potentially tens of thousands in Florida and the Caribbean are about to lose their homes. As long as it doesn't effect your on board credits, that's all that matters.

Thank you!! Someone finally gets it. :)

The safety of our friends and family, not to mention losing our homes...that should be the concern here.

Nassua would be where I think they would head, but with Jose playing out there after Irma, who knows.

Not sure how Nassau's going to fare in this hurricane either. We have had people leave the ship but less than I expected. That could be due to the logistics of trying to leave from Cozumel or Costa Maya.

How can you make these predictions when you just saw how quickly Galveston is back after Harvey? You don't know anything for sure and your notion St. Thomas will take a year to have ships in is ludicrous. Ike was a direct hit back in 2008 and Galveston was back in 3 months.

Who really knows for sure how long it will impact the cruising industry...which in turn impacts the economy of these islands because they rely on the countless tourist feeding money into their economy. But one thing is for certain. You cannot compare how fast the port in Galveston was able to be operation to how fast a small island like St Thomas. Galveston/Houston is a major US metropolitan area which is able to receive millions of dollars worth of aide and the countless individuals to help recover and rebuild. Islands like St Thomas do not have the money, the people, or even the building supplies to be able to recover nearly as fast as a city like Galveston/Houston will or Miami/Ft Lauderdale if they have too.

One thing is for certain. The islands will look a lot different than we are used to seeing them whenever we go back. I was in Cozumel about 10 months after Wilma and you could still see the effects of it. A lot of downed trees. Many of the beaches didn't have much sand because it washed away during the storm. But it was still a good time and we made sure to spend some money there. So whenever they do open, I hope people get off the ship and still visit the shops and take tours...the locals will really need it.

Half of our population lives in a hurricane zone including me and I'm in Delaware, The other half of the population lives in a tornado zone, an earthquake zone etc. Where do you suggest we all live?

Not to mention the wildfires out west.

I am not sure there actually is a perfectly safe place to live.

Edited by island lady