Why the Captain missed Mykonos?! Savings, onboard revenue or weather conditions?

Captain Mojito

OP, you are totally overreacting and not making any sense. I have missed many ports because of circumstances out of Princess' control.

One big one was Greenland because of icebergs near the port.

Another time, due to major storms in the English Channel, we could not leave Southampton for three days. Thus, on a 16 day transatlantic we were able to stop at 2 ports. Paris was a miss, but not Princess fault.

Saving money was not a concern to Princess but safety was. as we received the entire cruise back as an OBC. Cost Princess millions, and they really didn't have to return any amount to the passengers, except perhaps the port charges. But it was a good will gesture on their part.

I doubt if you will read this, because I think you're a one and done, but just had to let you know how

insane your post and thoughts behind it was.

Pam

When and why shipcaptains decide NOT to call at a planned port of call?

How do ship captainsdecide nowadays wether to miss or not a destination? Weatherconditions or company finances?

Dear FIRST TIME poster and amateur "captain". I believe the Captain made a professional decison to skip the port because of sea conditions or weather conditions. I don't put any iota of stock in your nonsensical conspiracy theory.

Edited by Charles4515

Interesting first post for someone who has been a member for 3 years. Doubt he will get much sympathy. Have more than once tendered in the AM only to hit rough seas for the PM and sure the captain wished he had skipped the port. Safety and comfort are the cruise lines prevailing issue in these situations. Would trust the captain more than the opinions of a casual weekender of the seas.

While the OP may be a "yacht" skipper, does he have local experience with winds in the Adriatic and Mykonos in particular? As despegue has mentioned, Mykonos is known for winds, and there is even a local name for the summer wind, "meltemi" that can spring up at any time. Also, Mykonos is known for katabatic winds, that can spring up and reach hurricane strength in minutes, as it races down the mountain slopes.

Also, as noted by despegue, the harbor is somewhat constricted for a large vessel like the Royal Princess, which unlike a "yacht", which is orders of magnitude smaller, can experience different conditions than a yacht would, due to operating near the maximum depth of the harbor, essentially emptying the harbor of water, or presenting a large sail area in the restricted area of the port.

To somewhat translate despegue, until you have the training and experience to obtain an unlimited oceans master's license (from any country), and then gain sufficient credibility to obtain a position as a cruise ship's master, you have no business questioning the decision making or competency of the Captain. Get over yourself.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sorry you had to miss Mykonos.

Mykonos gets crazy wind and the chances of getting cancelled there are high.

Same with Santorini.

For you to bring up cost cutting over safety is ludicrous.

All I have to say is thank god "Yacht Skipper" it was not your decision that day. :rolleyes:

The OP's criticism is the equivalent of a Cessna pilot second guessing the captain of an airliner which is beyond ludicrous! :rolleyes:

Using an app's information to make such an accusation is ridiculous. A ship's captain doesn't depend upon apps & cruise lines have mariner meteorologists to provide input. A captain makes the ultimate decision about safety & thankfully it's not based on the assumptions of some yacht skipper with an app! :eek:

I've read some bizarre posts but this irrational post tops the list. :rolleyes:

@page { margin: 2cm }  p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; direction: ltr; color: #000000; text-align: left; orphans: 0; widows: 0 }  p.western { font-family: "Times New Roman", serif; font-size: 12pt; so-language: bg-BG }  p.cjk { font-family: "Arial", sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; so-language: zxx }  p.ctl { font-family: "Tahoma"; font-size: 12pt; so-language: zxx } a:link { so-language: zxx }

We have been refunded5,72 EUR each for missing Mykonosssssssss...

Maybe he doesn't like html, and it was directed at you personally?

But seriously, someone has to be in charge, and make decisions.

Not many people would cruise on a ship where safety decisions were made

by a poll of the passengers. (Do they get 2 votes if they paid the single supplement?)

Okay just finished watching a program on the MS Europa 2 (500 passenger ship) and saw the problems this MUCH smaller ship had actually getting into port and docking in what they called "mild" weather.

I am surprised that a ship as big as the Royal EVER makes it into port.

I can almost guarantee that the "yacht skipper" would not be able to get his boat into port either.

While I feel bad for you that you missed a port, I think you are totally out to lunch as to the reason why. There is no way I would believe that the captain missed the port to save the company money. And even though you say you are a yacht skipper, what do you know about commanding a humungus cruise ship? Probably nothing. So I think you should just sit back, let the well respected Captain Nash do his job and stop being a "back seat driver".

The thought of being a back seat driver struck me as really funny😳 Thanks so much!

I realize this is a serious topic, and I have seriously read all of the posts. But the thought of someone being a back seat driver on the Royal Princess is just hilarious😄 Thanks for the lighter moment.

I do agree that Princess Captains and their safety judgments are first rate.

Thanks, all.

In the end the number one priority is the safety of passengers, crew and the ship.

In terms of revenue and profit it is a big loss for the cruise line when they miss a port because of the lost revenue and associated profit of cancelling all of the shore excursions.

Keith

Called at Mykonos twice on the Royal in July and both times the wind was strong enough to blow a dog off a chain. The second visit they stopped tendering people to shore in mid afternoon and it was a pretty rough ride back to the ship for us.

Luck of the draw I'm afraid.

Cancelling a port is never a popular decision but if the captain feels it is unsafe then they must make that call.

The captains first priority is the safety of the crew, passengers and vessel. To make that decision they rely on information they receive, their own experience and that of their officers.

This isn't a cost saving decision. It all comes down to safety.

Sorry you were disappointed in your missed port. Hopefully you still had a great cruise in spite of that.

The Pacific Princess attempted to dock in Nice last October in inclement weather and highly variable winds. A single gust pushed the ship into the breakwater and punched two holes in the hull, flooding the mechanical systems, shutting off water, rendering the toilets unusable and effectively ending that cruise two days early and causing the cancellation of the next cruise. I am sure that no one on those cruises would have thought that missing the port of Nice was a bigger disaster.

I am not sure why you say Princess will make money by skipping a port. The port fees and taxes that they collected from passengers are refunded if a port is missed for any reason.

Princess would lose a lot of revenue by cancelling all the shore excursions. This money will be refund to the passengers.

With so many passengers choosing AIBP, there will be further losses when there is an extra day of onboard drinking.

I don't think a bingo game will make up for these losses