Where would be the worst place to have a cabin on the MS. Koningsdamn ?

lillulu

Where would be the worst place to have a cabin on the Koningsdamn?

I am worried about being upgraded from a VB to a YQ On the Sun Deck. Would you be able to hear that Dome over the pool open up every single day and close? If there are rough seas, do you feel quite a bit of motion?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, you would feel more motion in cabins high and forward if you are sensitive to the motion of the ocean. Tends to be more windy, as well. I doubt if you would be bothered by the dome, either.

FYI Koningsdam not Koningsdamn.......lol

You know, I was seriously considering Koningsdam, but it was soo hard to find information on good or bad cabins. When I asked here, I mostly got...."it's a new ship, etc...."

I ordered brochures and they came without deck plans.:rolleyes: I know you can go on line, but I like the hard copies so I can line up stairs and elevators and see what's above and below at a glance. Ended up on Celebrity Reflection (again).

We sailed on the K this past June in a Vista Suite mid ship on the bump out. It was heaven. The experience was very smooth. If you are sensitive to the ship's movement, look for mid ship and low.

Prior to this we had sailed on the NA and in a forward cabin. We felt quite a bit of movement.

After comparing the two experiences, we have decided that we will only now sail mid ship and will make sure to select "do not upgrade" on our booking. :-)

Yes, you would feel more motion in cabins high and forward if you are sensitive to the motion of the ocean. Tends to be more windy, as well. I doubt if you would be bothered by the dome, either.

FYI Koningsdam not Koningsdamn.......lol

Thank you for the quick answer back. I am sensitive to motion. I take bonine the whole cruise just to make it through. I purchased a VB and it said we could get upgraded, when I got my paperwork it showed they had me in a YQ on the Sun deck. I pray I will be alright because our cruising date is pretty much full. That damn get's me every time LOL :D

We sailed on the K this past June in a Vista Suite mid ship on the bump out. It was heaven. The experience was very smooth. If you are sensitive to the ship's movement, look for mid ship and low.

Prior to this we had sailed on the NA and in a forward cabin. We felt quite a bit of movement.

After comparing the two experiences, we have decided that we will only now sail mid ship and will make sure to select "do not upgrade" on our booking. :-)

I wish I had done that. We were Midship but now they moved us and our cabin is no longer available when I looked. The ship is almost at capacity.

Thank you for the quick answer back. I am sensitive to motion. I take bonine the whole cruise just to make it through. I purchased a VB and it said we could get upgraded, when I got my paperwork it showed they had me in a YQ on the Sun deck. I pray I will be alright because our cruising date is pretty much full. That damn get's me every time LOL :D
What is your sail date and itinerary? Some itineraries take you into calmer and less windy ports, others not so much. We sailed through The Bay of Biscay on our Med cruise on Kdam this May. We were prepared for very choppy/windy conditions as is the norm for this area. However, it was a non-event. Even the Captain, who had pre-warned us the day before, said he had never seen The Bay so calm. So you never know! The rest of the cruise for 14 nights was very calm seas. Have a wonderful cruise on Kdam........a gorgeous ship and our favourite HAL ship.

What is your sail date and itinerary? Some itineraries take you into calmer and less windy ports, others not so much. We sailed through The Bay of Biscay on our Med cruise on Kdam this May. We were prepared for very choppy/windy conditions as is the norm for this area. However, it was a non-event. Even the Captain, who had pre-warned us the day before, said he had never seen The Bay so calm. So you never know! The rest of the cruise for 14 nights was very calm seas. Have a wonderful cruise on Kdam........a gorgeous ship and our favourite HAL ship.

October 29th. I just got off the phone with Holland. We got it straightened out. Not happy I had to pay $80.00 more but I sure did not want to be sick the whole cruise. Itinerary, Amber Cove, San Juan, Bonaire, Curaco, Aruba.We hit rough seas one year going to San Juan on the Veendam and pretty much everyone was feeling sick. They were going wall to wall down the hallway. I had people tell me they had never felt or been sicke except that particular sailing. Thank you and we are so looking forward to it.

October 29th. I just got off the phone with Holland. We got it straightened out. Not happy I had to pay $80.00 more but I sure did not want to be sick the whole cruise. Itinerary, Amber Cove, San Juan, Bonaire, Curaco, Aruba.We hit rough seas one year going to San Juan on the Veendam and pretty much everyone was feeling sick. They were going wall to wall down the hallway. I had people tell me they had never felt or been sicke except that particular sailing. Thank you and we are so looking forward to it.
Yes, that southern itinerary can be quite rocky, especially around Curacao to Aruba. Glad to hear you were moved to a lower deck and now you can relax! Bon voyage and please let me know how you enjoyed Koningsdam.

Please please please come back and advise regarding this cruise. Dh and I just booked a very similar one( only difference is Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay and not San Juan) for November of next year and I'd love to hear details

Yes, that southern itinerary can be quite rocky, especially around Curacao to Aruba. Glad to hear you were moved to a lower deck and now you can relax! Bon voyage and please let me know how you enjoyed Koningsdam.

Oh sure you've just made my day = Not! Dh and I just switched from a 4th deck aft Neptune, to a 7th because of noise concerns for next Nov....now you're telling me that aft may not be the way to go on this trip....arghhhhh.

In your experience how rocky is rocky? We leave Curacao at 11 pm and get into Aruba at 7 am the next morning where dh and I will disembark. Are we just talking about the one overnighter being bad or ...???

The worst cabin on the Koningsdam has to be better than a week at work. :cool:

Roz

After spending 13 days in cabin 10054, I have to disagree with you (and I never thought I'd say that). We were next to the outdoor movie screen/speakers and, when the movie came on at 10 PM, it felt like the whole cabin vibrated from the bass sounds. That was the worst problem, but not only sound issue with this cabin. Worst time I've ever spent on a ship! I would rather have been at work than in that cabin (and I'm happily retired). Luckily, they were able to move us for the next 15 days and the new cabin was heaven. HAL ended up giving us a sizable credit towards another cruise, which we've already committed.

That would be bad for sure. I'm glad HAL was able to move you for half of the cruise and provide some compensation. I'm making a note of this cabin in case I ever have the opportunity to sail the Koningsdam.

Roz

Oh sure you've just made my day = Not! Dh and I just switched from a 4th deck aft Neptune, to a 7th because of noise concerns for next Nov....now you're telling me that aft may not be the way to go on this trip....arghhhhh.

In your experience how rocky is rocky? We leave Curacao at 11 pm and get into Aruba at 7 am the next morning where dh and I will disembark. Are we just talking about the one overnighter being bad or ...???

Deck 7 aft is much better than higher up and forward. Usually it's rocky on the way to Curacao and then sometimes on to Aruba. You may have the wind gods on your side and feel nothing at all! Either way, have a wonderful cruise!

Come join us on our roll call!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2458697

You know, I was seriously considering Koningsdam, but it was soo hard to find information on good or bad cabins. When I asked here, I mostly got...."it's a new ship, etc...."

I ordered brochures and they came without deck plans.:rolleyes: I know you can go on line, but I like the hard copies so I can line up stairs and elevators and see what's above and below at a glance. Ended up on Celebrity Reflection (again).

Google cruise ship deck plans and a site by that name will come up. You can move deck plans on top of one another and it shows you exactly what is above and below your preferred cabin. It's a great tool to use in selecting a cabin

We were in Koningsdam cabin 6147 - a verandah cabin mid-ship. We loved the location it was sort of in the middle of everything. 3 floors up to the Lido, 3 floors down to guest services and the grand dutch cafe and the MDR. I can get a little bit of motion sickness and we hit rough seas and I was fine here. We turned down an upgrade in order to keep our location. I posted a live from Koningsdam thread a few weeks ago that have pictures of this cabin - 6147