Thinking of cancelling

Badgeaz

I think I'm gonna cancel my cruise to the eastern carribean. The damage from Irma could be catastrophic and I really don't want to switch to the western. My cruise is in 4 months. I have 5 more weeks before my final payment.

Do it and you may regret it.

We sail Nov 4 on the Escape to Eastern carib. Worst thing that happens is 7 days at sea, with UBP I will be happy sailor.

We are also on this cruise and didn't even think about cancelling. We are just going to enjoy whatever comes our way and be happy for the memories we can make! DD turns 21 on the 4th, so she is especially looking forward to UBP! :'):')

I'm on the 7th October Escape voyage, Eastern Caribbean. Photographs are devastating. I'd be shocked if the islands are ready by then, but if they are, I will happily go and spend my money in local places.

Ouh! I have plans to be on that sail date -- I booked my flight to FLL today with the intention of driving down to Miami Port. Now, with all these images and videos I'm seeing, I'm concerned if the itinerary will still be the same. I'll hold off a day or two before I book, but wow!

I went to Cancun about two months after they had that major hurricane about ten years ago. They were mostly cleaned up. Some hotels were rebuilt and functioning, but then some hotels were empty and not functioning. At night it was a little spooky, these huge resorts dark and almost like skeletons. But our hotel was open so we went and didn't cancel and gave back to the economy that was struggling at that point. Think it depends on where on the island it hits. But yea not sure about St Martin from what I've seen.

I would have cancelled as well. Sadly, none of these locations are going to look like paradise in the short term. Unless you have visited these locations before, you don't want your impressions of these beautiful islands to be a horrible one. :(

We are also on this cruise and didn't even think about cancelling. We are just going to enjoy whatever comes our way and be happy for the memories we can make! DD turns 21 on the 4th, so she is especially looking forward to UBP! :'):')

I am sailing the week before you.

I just hope we get to go with out it being canceled.

I know the islands will be tore up but they may change a port or 2.

My wife and I are on a 14 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the BA. I have a feeling its going to turn into a 14 Western which I'm not loving too much. St Maarten, St Thomas, Tortola are disasters. Not sure they will recover enough in a 5-6 months, I hope they do but I'm not counting on it

I am assuming they would still be going to Barbados, St. Lucia, and I hear Puerto Rico didn't get hit as hard as they thought. I don't know about St. Kitts or Dominica. I haven't heard much. Perhaps they could sub one out with Antigua and/or Aruba and even spend an extra day in one port.

When is your cruise? We are going February 2-16 for my daughters 16th Birthday. It's instead of a Sweet Sixteen party. My 13 year old said she just wants to go there and hug the people. Now she's trying to figure out ways she can help them from here. She was really looking forward to the Virgin Islands, who knows when it will be built up enough to go again. It's just so sad.

I am assuming they would still be going to Barbados, St. Lucia, and I hear Puerto Rico didn't get hit as hard as they thought. I don't know about St. Kitts or Dominica. I haven't heard much. Perhaps they could sub one out with Antigua and/or Aruba and even spend an extra day in one port.

When is your cruise? We are going February 2-16 for my daughters 16th Birthday. It's instead of a Sweet Sixteen party. My 13 year old said she just wants to go there and hug the people. Now she's trying to figure out ways she can help them from here. She was really looking forward to the Virgin Islands, who knows when it will be built up enough to go again. It's just so sad.

St. Croix also looks like it was spared from much damage. It is a nice port of call as well..

bosco

We are 88 days out from an Eastern Caribbean. I honestly don't care where they take me. I'm on a ship' date=' I have a beverage package, and a spa. [/quote']

Seconded, without amendment. I'm actually kind of jealous of the people heading back out on the Escape for the Avoidance Cruise to Nowhere, because 7 days at sea on one of these ships would be a dream for me.

The Windward Islands escaped Irma. The Leeward and Virgin islands were severely impacted. The American Virgin islands fared better that the British.

I would be OK with 7 days at sea. I once took a Carnival cruise (4 days I think) and never got off the ship.

I'm booked for an Eastern Caribbean cruise early January, which I will not be canceling due to Irma or Jose. The islands will need any and all tourist revenue they can get.

Well, some of you are - perhaps - not prime for T/A crossing with many sea days. If only those displaced and left homeless in Barbuda, St. Thomas & St. Maarten can be housed temporary - I am sure they will be 100% grateful.

Unconfirmed news report out of MIA that at least one cruiseline HQ (that is, NCL ... bravo) is closing their office and evacuating their employees onto one of their company ship to safely ride out the storm - one of the best shelter-in-place, fully self-contained; and, they can launch their own tender boats if necessary to go ashore even if the ports are heavily damaged. It's one way to demonstrate caring & appreciation of their best & most important assets - employees. Excellent decision by management and operations.

Edited by mking8288

NCL has done a great job. Taking their employees and their families on board Escape today, what a great way to show their priorities. I am impressed with how they have handled this storm. Sure, they have insurance for this but, they have been a class act in this situation, IMHO.

NCL has done a great job. Taking their employees and their families on board Escape today, what a great way to show their priorities. I am impressed with how they have handled this storm. Sure, they have insurance for this but, they have been a class act in this situation, IMHO.

The cynic in me says many of those folks will be working from the ship.

But still...a cool thing to do.

Oh! I hadn't heard that. Seems like a smart thing to do.

Oh! I hadn't heard that. Seems like a smart thing to do.
Royal C. did and made the news for sure - http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/news/companies/royal-caribbean-hurricane-irma/

If true, going by other post, if NCL also did the same - hats off to both lines.

The I.T. and telecomm techs would definitely be kept busy to support whatever functions needed while at sea - I doubt that they would mind being asked to perform some work onboard.

Can't tell you about weather on a typical TransAtlantic crossing - weather can varied depending on route & time/month of the year ... but sunbathing should not be an issue & pretty sure the hot tubs are accessible, chilly wind easily fixed with a fleece jacket or windbreaker while enjoying a BBQ lunch. Seas can be choppy & stormy, but I'm sure you can guess on that. ;p