Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

There is nothing wrong with this if the shortened cruise can be guaranteed to take place long enough in advance that passengers can get to the port. And that does not mean saying today it will take place and then canceling it three days from now.

But it does not even take an elementary school diploma for one to be 99% certain this cruise will not take place on the 12th.

And it is 100% certain that passengers cannot get to the port (which is in a mandatory evacuation zone) on the 8th, 9th, 10th or 11th as tropical storm winds will be in the area until Monday.

As one travel site said:

"How do you know when to change plans? Obviously, the answer will be different for everyone. Monitoring evacuations is always a good bellwether—if local governments are telling locals to get out, you probably don’t want to be dropping in as a tourist."

And the ports have to be operational.

Incidentally, you are posting a lot of very crude and insulting backhanded comments. Being childishly rude toward people who disagree with you just highlights the fact that everything you post is coming from a completely irrational foundation.

There is a lot of that going around.

Yes, for YOU.

Not for the cruise line. If they give you FCC, you will be back to cruise with them. And hopefully have a GREAT time, and forget about the previous issues.

Like a problem at a restaurant. Dumb ones give you your meal for free. Smart ones give you a card to get a free meal later. You come back, have a great meal, and keep coming back. Give you the free meal, and there is no incentive for you to come back.

The cruise line is a business. It exists to make money for the owners. Buy some stock, and you can be an owner, make some money, and have a voice in what they do.

I've been in the stock market for over 40 years, from experience, the only things you actually have a voice in is when you get to vote at the annual stockholders meeting. 95%of the time the only issues you have a voice in is to reelect board members or what accounting firm to use for an audit. Big corporations own most of the stock and the'll let their peers do whatever they want.

Restaurant problem. The smart consumer takes the free meal and never goes back. There is no guarantee that any of the subsequent meals will be any better. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Big corporations own most of the stock and the'll let their peers do whatever they want.
Nonsense. Institutional investors 'let' the companies they invest in do whatever will be in the best financial interest of the institutional investors. There isn't a single pension fund out there that would criticize Royal Caribbean for playing the odds with regard to strategically managing customer satisfaction in the manner that the cruise lines are doing so this week.

There is no guarantee that any of the subsequent meals will be any better.
There's no guarantee that the subsequent meal will be anything but great. Having that second chance is worth money (specifically, the CAC).

....Incidentally, you are posting a lot of very crude and insulting backhanded comments. Being childishly rude toward people who disagree with you just highlights the fact that everything you post is coming from a completely irrational foundation. Don't get me wrong: There's nothing wrong with disagreement. We can agree to disagree about anything, and you should be able to hold to your perspectives as tightly as you wish without losing the respect of anyone. However, what you're doing isn't disagreeing. Instead, you're practicing behaviors that set off my parental triggers and I have to pull back and stop myself from responding to what you write as I would respond to one of the younger ones in my family.

Maturity in the face of disagreement goes hand-in-glove with maturity in the face of things not going the way you want them to. In other words, it is okay to not like the "ifs" that actually apply, but it is not okay to delude yourself or others into thinking that your "ifs" apply when the reality is that the "ifs" consistent with the contract apply. Churlishly trying to make it seem otherwise is counter-productive.

When I read this, your response to Caribill, it reminded me of the old proverb 'There are none so blind as those who will not see'. You may not realise that virtually every post of yours is pompous and many are also patronising! ;)

The REALITY is that you stated the FLL and MIA ports WILL be destroyed and that FLL and MIA would be spit into the ocean and uninhabitable for weeks or months. The REALITY is those are ridiculous statements.

You really need to understand SARCASM just a little bit better. The REALITY of the matter is that the most conservative GUESS is that the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale area will not be able to accept tourists going on a cruise for at least a month or so based on the wrath that Irma has already wrought!

RCCL sitting on their collective buttocks with their all will be well attitude stinks 100%. Think of the SAFETY of your potential passengers and CANCEL all cruises through the end of September and give out 100% CASH refunds!

Oh and by the way would you agree that St. Martin and Barbuda were sucked up by Irma and spit back out into the ocean?

Edited by WeLuvVacation

You may not realise that virtually every post of yours is pompous and many are also patronising! ;)
I realize that some people will consider any unemotional presentation of legal facts and moral standards as such. I have long ago stopped caring about random people on the Internet having such misapprehensions about my intent. Regardless, I'd rather be thought of as an arrogant know-it-all and moralizing codger than as being childishly rude. Edited by bUU

jc - thanks for the laughs.

And for those who took my statement earlier literally "I just don't get it." I actually DO get it - I just find it amazing that Royal is being so blind by insisting people will even be able to get to Florida by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I know, right? Given a lot of the decisions RCI has made over the last couple years, it's clear to me the people in Corporate making the decisions only care about the bottom line. They aren't doing bad mind you, just look at RCI's stock. But sometimes, someone with some PR and common sense experience needs to step in and say hey, wait a minute, this isn't right. That doesn't appear to of happened yet. Right now they're looking at two Oasis class ships coming in on Tuesday and one on Wednesday and if they do make it in their respective ports, they're going to sail out only about 20-30% full. Because the only people who are going to be able to make those sailings are the locals who decided to stick out the storm at home and can still get to the port. Given the current forecast, it will be a chore for anyone currently out of state to make those sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You really need to understand SARCASM just a little bit better. The REALITY of the matter is that the most conservative GUESS is that the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale area will not be able to accept tourists going on a cruise for at least a month or so based on the wrath that Irma has already wrought!

RCCL sitting on their collective buttocks with their all will be well attitude stinks 100%. Think of the SAFETY of your potential passengers and CANCEL all cruises through the end of September and give out 100% CASH refunds!

Oh and by the way would you agree that St. Martin and Barbuda were sucked up by Irma and spit back out into the ocean?

Calling for cancellations three weeks out before the storm has arrived. Thanks for the laugh.

I'd rather be thought of as an arrogant know-it-all and moralizing codger than as being childishly rude.

Maybe Cruise Critic could collect all the "rude" things that people have posted on Cruise Critic and have the members vote on them. Ten points for rudest, seven points for 2nd most rude, five points for 3rd most rude, three points for forth most rude and one point for the fifth most rude.

Then Cruise Critic could post the top twenty (the twenty with the most points). Maybe the one with the most points could get a free Cruise Critic shirt. Second and third place would get one of those blue fold up note pads with the attached pen that Royal Caribbean gives out at the M&M meetings.

When I read this, your response to Caribill, it reminded me of the old proverb 'There are none so blind as those who will not see'. You may not realise that virtually every post of yours is pompous and many are also patronising! ;)

Thank you for saying what I, and others I suspect didn't have the nerve to say. I am not a frequent poster and generally try to stay out of pettiness as I have better things to do :)

I know neither of these posters but I can certainly say that nothing in Caribells posts in this thread came anywhere near being as offensive as this post by BUU was.

Hurricane force winds means 75 MPH, so saying 140 miles will experience hurricane force winds is true, but misleading as can be. There is a lot of difference between a cat 1 and a cat 5. Like night and day difference.

This is one bad storm, but the sensationalism in this thread is nuts. I can only imagine what the big Irma thread is like. I am not nearly brave enough to even try to read that cesspool....

JC

I know neither of these posters but I can certainly say that nothing in Caribells posts in this thread came anywhere near being as offensive as this post by BUU was.
I wonder, on the issues themselves, whether you agree with me or with him? I bet there is a correlation there. Regardless, this is all of topic meta discussion. Let's get back to the topic and agree to disagree.

This is one bad storm, but the sensationalism in this thread is nuts.

Without any doubt.

For people who try to reason with the board trolls, please just keep in mind that when you quote their posts, they win. Number one, you are giving them attention; number two, those of us who have them on Ignore must consider ignoring you as well since you're causing us to see their drivel by quoting them.

I wonder whether, on the issues themselves, whether you agree with me or with him? I bet there is a correlation there. Regardless, this is all of topic meta discussion. Let's get back to the topic and agree to disagree.

Without any doubt.

Honestly no correlation whatsoever. I happen to find your posting to him extremely condescending, somewhat like yours to me just now. You make a comment taking the entire thread off topic, then you decide after you get called out on it, that everyone should "get back to the topic" . I'm sorry but until you began to make personal comments, the topic imho was quite civilized and respectful and was on topic !

Honestly no correlation whatsoever. ...

We'll have to agree to disagree. The topic of this thread is indicated in its title. Comments in agreement and disagreement with that matter are relevant even if you disagree with them. The lack of merit in people making up their own rules rather than abiding by the terms that they've agreed to, which you refer to as my digression, is assuredly on topic.

For people who try to reason with the board trolls, please just keep in mind that when you quote their posts, they win. Number one, you are giving them attention; number two, those of us who have them on Ignore must consider ignoring you as well since you're causing us to see their drivel by quoting them.

Have you ever considered just not reading the quote and/or the post?

I see you've changed again.

Yup. Added this after you read my post: Stay tuned since I'll be cycling through a lot of quotes and such along the same lines; words to live by.

I don't do Twitter, not that tech savy.
That and Instagram are the best ways to stay in touch with the family now that almost all the kids are grown. And it's the best source for hurricane reports from the ground, you just need to sort through the trash.

This morning's Port of Palm Beach Advisory said:

Cruise Passengers

All passengers onboard Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line’s Grand Celebration disembarked this morning, and the ship departed the Port at 9:30 am. The cruise line has canceled sailings departing Friday, September 8, 2017 and Sunday, September 10, 2017.

The 9/8 and 9/10 sailings were regular 2 night sailings that were cancelled. For the 4 nighter away from storm website said be at port by 8am today.