Will we get to the islands?

dam64

We are cruising the Escape in November and the ports are Tortola, St Thomas and Nassau. After the damages with hurricane Irma what are the chances we make it there or will we be diverted elsewhere?

not for nothing,but that should be the last thing your thinking about right now:rolleyes:

We are cruising the Escape in November and the ports are Tortola, St Thomas and Nassau. After the damages with hurricane Irma what are the chances we make it there or will we be diverted elsewhere?

Nobody has a Crystal Ball........but from what I have seen.......... I doubt very much on St Thomas and Tortola

Who would have a clue? They need at least a week to survey the damages and see what infrastructure is left. In time folks will have a better idea.

Another poster started a thread with the same questions 40 minutes earlier. You can add on to that one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54005480&posted=1#post54005480

not for nothing,but that should be the last thing your thinking about right now:rolleyes:

Seriously your comment is uncalled for go troll elsewhere! Just because Im asking this question does not mean I don't care for the people on the island!

Who would have a clue? They need at least a week to survey the damages and see what infrastructure is left. In time folks will have a better idea.

Another poster started a thread with the same questions 40 minutes earlier. You can add on to that one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54005480&posted=1#post54005480

Thanks I didn't see it but I'll have a look.

Nobody has a Crystal Ball........but from what I have seen.......... I doubt very much on St Thomas and Tortola[/quote

I also doubt Tortola but maybe St thomas didn't see it was as damaged as Tortola.

The proper question to speculate first is, IMHO, what kind of damages will POM and PC sustained after this weekend, once Irma pass thru and damage assessment are made ... and repairs are made, upon restoration of basic, essential services like electricity, running water, telecommunications; and, that hospitals and public health issues are addressed by local authorities, etc.

Geeze, a good portion of Puerto Rico lost electricity but luckily still has running water, despite flooding and FEMA is on station, along with the deployment of U.S. military assets to help. Not to mention that several million fellow Americans are scrambling to run away - evacuate by whatever means - from coastal & south Florida, out of Irma's direct hit.

Any questions or comments about getting to MIA in the coming days ... latest warning: hurricane force wind, 100 miles across for 10+ hours and tropical force wind for 36+ hours - taking a direct hit with landfall. Hurricane Andrew in comparison, would be a baby storm (1992) unlike Irma.

The incentive to get certain things back up and running, i.e. The Port, is you get dollars back into the economy. Tourism is awful important to their economy.

I am saddened by the damage and loss of life in these Caribbean Islands. The cruise industry has a lot invested in to these spots and will play a factor in their revival.

I would not be surprised to find that your cruise is switched to a western cruise. After seeing the images I will be really surprised if St. Thomas and Tortola are ready for ships before the first of the year.

There are many other islands in the Caribbean just south of The Virgin Islands, & St. Marten. Antigua has reported very minimal damage. Then south are Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, then onto the ABC Islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. The northern Antilles Islands need time to recover. At this time, it is hard to say how long that will take. Maybe some of the near cruises will be to the Western, or will be many days at sea.

We need to pray for all the residents of the Islands, and Jose is barrelling in on them, and they have no place to go. May they be safe and overcome this terrible tragedy and begin to rebuild.

Keep in mind there are limited spaces for ships in every location. They weren't designed to accommodate all the cruise lines at the same time. I foresee many more sea days for quite awhile.

I thought of that but the ships could always tender to port...meanwhile, prayers certainly for the island residents

Looks like the next 7 day cruise scheduled for the Eastern Caribbean is the Escape which is scheduled to depart on September 23. Where that ship goes may give us a clue as to what changes are coming.

Then again each cruise scheduled for the Eastern Caribbean in the upcoming months could be different.

Who knows? But it is OK to speculate.

There are many other islands in the Caribbean just south of The Virgin Islands, & St. Marten. Antigua has reported very minimal damage. Then south are Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, then onto the ABC Islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. The northern Antilles Islands need time to recover. At this time, it is hard to say how long that will take. Maybe some of the near cruises will be to the Western, or will be many days at sea.

We need to pray for all the residents of the Islands, and Jose is barrelling in on them, and they have no place to go. May they be safe and overcome this terrible tragedy and begin to rebuild.

Those islands are there and they all have pretty full ship schedules already. There are a number of reasons that they are nto likely alternatives. A number of lines roundtrip out of Bridgetown. Most of those islands do not have the infrastructure to accommodate ships with more than a a couple of thousand people. The distance from any Eastern US port is too far unless you are going to do a one stop cruise.

The most likely scenario is that most cruises get moved to western itineraries.