Tried Celebrity

denamo

We recently did an Alaska cruise on the Celebrity Infinity with friends we'd met on a cruise several years ago. We are Diamond Plus with Royal, so we had a reciprocal loyalty level with Celebrity of Elite.

When we cruise other lines, we try not to make comparisons in a negative vein. We look at it more from the perspective that is how this line does things. One difference was there was no "Elite Lounge".

They offered a continental breakfast in one of the specialty restaurants. There was a menu of various plates such as a fruit plate or bakery goods. You could request as many as you'd wish. Variety of coffees were available from latte to plain coffee. We enjoyed this each morning. The evening complimentary happy hour was held in their top deck Constellation Lounge. Liked a menu of drinks presented. Servers brought around small hors d'oeuvres. Mostly some type of ball. Missed the convenience of three drinks added to ship card. Also, they do not have the complimentary happy hour on embarkation night of the cruise. It was held only from 5:00 - 7:00. One couple we visited with each evening had a late dining at 8:30. So, they had a big gap before dinner.

We had an inside room that seem more spacious than other inside rooms we've had. We do try to book a balcony if possible. Our room was extremely convenient. We were located just a few steps away from the elevators. Loved the full length window at the elevators to be able to see outside.

Attended a couple of the evening shows and each was entertaining. Not super outstanding, but good. After that, there wasn't much in the way of entertainment or things to do. We did attend the Liar's Club they had one evening in the Constellation Lounge. It was scheduled late one evening due to a late port departure. We commented that we went to bed earlier than we usually do at home because there wasn't much else to do.

Had a couple of unusual dealings with some staff that left us feeling like we were really putting them out to make a small request. It by no means "ruined" our cruise.Just a difference to note. Our room steward did a great job and honored any request with a great attitude and what we've experience on any other line. Also, the young lady who served as the equivalent of the Diamond Lounge Concierge was super personable. She would be at the morning breakfast and evening to circulate among those attending.

We did not feel like there was much music throughout the ship each evening. Would have liked to have heard more. One evening our cruise mates arrived to dance in one of the lounges, but the band scheduled to play was a no-show since a previous event was running long. We did a couple of trivia challenges and those were fun.

We ate the first evening in the specialty restaurant, Qsine with our cruisemates. It was very good. It is an experiencial type of eating. We received an I-pad with 20 tiles on it. One person ordered for the table. Each course was to represent various cultural eating such as Mexican, Chinese, Steakhouse, Sushi. We started off with a salad and then had a beef fillet. Each course after that was more along the lines of tapas. We walked away being very full!!

Food was well done and tasty. Enjoyed their fish a great deal. Had an omelet bar of a morning in the Ocean Café buffet. Also there was a pizza station that lasted later in the evening. Enjoyed a couple of lunches in the MDR.

We did hear from staff several times that this was an older ship and they might be discontinuing this class of ship. Almost sounded like no need to try that hard since it might be gone soon.

Not sure we'll be all that anxious to try Celebrity again. Not sure we're the demographic to fit their target. Don't regret cruising with them. Right itinerary, different ship, and right fare might persuade us to take another Celebrity cruise.

We recently did an Alaska cruise on the Celebrity Infinity with friends we'd met on a cruise several years ago. We are Diamond Plus with Royal, so we had a reciprocal loyalty level with Celebrity of Elite.

Thanks for the review. Now you should try an S Class ship. We think there's a big difference between the classes.

We did a B2B on Infinity this past May. Didn't find the ship to be anything special like the RCCL ships we have been on but we pretty much knew that going in. We only did the B2B because of the itinerary Pacific Coastal followed by an Alaska Cruise.

There was some things that we didn't care for too on Infinity but it just might have been the ship. Would we rule our Celebrity all together, No! but it would have to be on one of their newer ships and an itinerary we couldn't find elsewhere.

Meaning we are no rushing to find another Celebrity Cruise.

Jimbo:)

We enjoy Celebrity. It is different from RCI. You do not hear announcements all day long. The Captains report is about all you hear during the day. The shows are not the WOW that we have enjoyed on the newer RCI ships..but they entertain. The Martini Bar is where we like to hang out...provided you can get a seat. We have enjoyed the food on both lines.

We have cruised on the Summit which is also a Millennium class ship. The Summit is wonderful. Great crew and both Captain Kate and Captain Alex are lots of fun. We are rebooked for our 5th cruise on the Summit.

It will be interesting to compare Celebrity and RCI after the Edge class ships are introduced.

I was disappointed with Celebrity entertainment on our 1 cruise with them , great line for non-smokers who want a quiet peaceful ship. But booked them next year for a charter 70's rock cruise on Summit looking forward to that, we are also elite because of our diamond status.

Thanks for your review. We cruise both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. We found that our Alaska cruise on Celebrity was much more sedate than our Carribean cruises on Celebrity.

This was exactly what we wondered about. Thanks for confirming.

We were on the Infinity last year. It was the first cruise out after it was refurbed. I would no go on this class of ship again. The S class ships are wonderful. We cruise alot on RCCL but has done a few with Celebrity since we are Diamond and we get perks of Elite.The only thing I don't like is their Happy Hour is 5 to 7. We also like a late dinner so we have to find something to do between 7 and 8:30. Again, this wouild not stop me from going on an S Class ship.

I think there will always a big difference between sailings to Alaska and Caribbean- we certainly found that to be true comparing Royal to Royal, coupled with the fact that by necessity you have the smaller, and by default older ships.

We are also Diamond Plus, similar to you.We have only sailed "S" class but we have really enjoyed the perks. Although there is not a dedicated lounge and the cocktail event is much larger and impersonal, we had a similar arrangement of three coupons to use in any bar during the event hours on our last sailing. I know that was initially introduced on sailings with high numbers of elite and above passengers, so don't know if it is now universal but we enjoyed the ability to choose a location, The only downside is that the coupons are collected wherever you consume, including the lounge, not in addition. We enjoyed a dedicated breakfast area and complimentary mimosas and Bloody Mary's.

I think there is a different demographic on Celebrity even on a Caribbean cruise (not so child friendly) but if they had more ships, and we didn't have the convenience of a Royal ship within driving distance, they would definitely be my cruise line of choice for just my husband and I if we were traveling without extended family.

How exactly, does the reciprocal loyalty level work? Do they automatically know, do you have to fill out something to tell them? We've only ever cruised Carnival,and RC, so far. Thinking about trying another line in the future.

You have to call the cruise line's loyalty people and request the reciprocity. Once you do that, you are linked and any change to loyalty level will automatically be reflected in the reciprocal loyalty level.

You have to call the cruise line's loyalty people and request the reciprocity. Once you do that, you are linked and any change to loyalty level will automatically be reflected in the reciprocal loyalty level.

Bob do you know if they have a diamond plus level? I am elite now because of diamond, but will be diamond plus before next cruise

Thanks for the review. Now you should try an S Class ship. We think there's a big difference between the classes.

Agreed.

I think there will always a big difference between sailings to Alaska and Caribbean- we certainly found that to be true comparing Royal to Royal, coupled with the fact that by necessity you have the smaller, and by default older ships.

We sailed to Alaska two years ago on Solstice. Fabulous. Not a smaller, older ship by any means.

OP, thank you for your review. I suspect you may have had a different reaction having sailed Solstice to Alaska instead of Infinity. :)

Bob do you know if they have a diamond plus level? I am elite now because of diamond, but will be diamond plus before next cruise

We did a Celebrity cruise a couple of years ago as diamond plus (Rccl) and were only given Elite status. I think that is as high as you go although not sure if you are Rccl Pinnacle. Conversely, if you are Elite plus on Celebrity you only get diamond status on Rccl. Again, if you are Celebrity Zenith, I am not sure about the reciprocity status. :)

Agreed.

We sailed to Alaska two years ago on Solstice. Fabulous. Not a smaller, older ship by any means.

OP, thank you for your review. I suspect you may have had a different reaction having sailed Solstice to Alaska instead of Infinity. :)

Yes I had forgotten solstice class went to Alaska, Totally agree OP would probably have preferred that class.

Match between X and RC is only to Diamond and Elite. But match between X and Azamera is all the way.

I think it's more than a match between Celebrity and Azamara, I think it's the same loyalty system. Points on one count on the other.

I think it's more than a match between Celebrity and Azamara, I think it's the same loyalty system. Points on one count on the other.

Thanks Bob! I thought I had read that someplace but was not sure. This makes me super happy though as I really want to go on an Azamara cruise someday!!!

True, points cross accumulate between Celebrity and Azamara... And both have five loyalty membership tiers with the same point-based thresholds...

That said, the benefits are very different at equivalent membership tiers and for someone like me--Zenith on Celebrity and Discoverer Platinum on Azamara with more than 50% of my cruises on Celebrity (it can matter!)--my loyalty benefits are vastly superior on Celebrity...

Only need 160 more cruise points--all on Royal--to make Diamond + in Crown & Anchor!

The devil is in the detail...

Edited by Xport