John Heald statement about what Carnival is doing to help

bunchesofun

John Heald

2 hrs · [/url]

PLEASE SHARE

I wanted to write something in answer to what some of you have been asking me.

So all of our ships are housing guests right now other than Carnival Ecstasy which terminated its last voyage in Charleston on Friday and Carnival Liberty which terminated its last voyage in Port Canaveral on the 7th.

Both ships headed out to sea sailing east to position away from the storm’s path.

Unfortunately, these ships are not in a physical location where they could make a run to the Caribbean without sailing into the storm.

We are scheduled to deliver supplies to St. Kitts later this week via Carnival Fascination which is homeported in San Juan.

We have a delivery of supplies scheduled to arrive soon in Grand Turk

We are communicating with officials in many of the Caribbean islands and working on a plan to begin delivering supplies on both an immediate and sustained, longer-term basis.

These deliveries will be worked into ships’ cruise itineraries as part of our ongoing operations.

And, of course we await news of the impact that Irma will have on Florida so we can assess the damage and provide support as needed to ports and communities.

Arnold Donald, CEO of Carnival Corporation, has sent a letter to the leaders of multiple Caribbean islands to ask them to advise what kind of support from Carnival Corporation would be most valuable.

Our corporate foundation is also beginning the work of evaluating the best channels for potential monetary support in the Caribbean as well as Florida (once the storm passes through the state).

I just wanted to share this with you all. The places that have been in Irma's path of destruction are part of our Carnival family and we will do all we can for them.

I kindly ask that you share this with someone

#carnivalfamily

I hope all the cruise lines step up like Carnival has and funnels relief to those in need at the affected ports of call.

Arnold Donald has shown shareholders he is an effective CEO, now he demonstrates an elevated sense of humanity that is beyond admirable.

I hope all the cruise lines step up like Carnival has and funnels relief to those in need at the affected ports of call.

Arnold Donald has shown shareholders he is an effective CEO, now he demonstrates an elevated sense of humanity that is beyond admirable.

Carnival is following what other cruise lines is already doing. Norwegian, Royal is also delivering supplies to the islands too

Carnival is following what other cruise lines is already doing. Norwegian, Royal is also delivering supplies to the islands too

I was unaware there were bonus points for first, have they donated millions of dollars also?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

More than just Carnival, many of us cruisers would be happy to support these island we enjoy vacations at and making family memories.

If someone at Carnival is reading these posts, why not offer one free VIFP Point for each $100 dollars donated by a VIFP member.

I'm sure many VIFPs would be happy to donate to Carnival's relief efforts knowing our donations will go directly to aiding the people and places we love to visit and look forward to visiting in the future.

Does it really matter which cruise line helped first? Jeez.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This!

We've only been a member of these forums for a short time but I am constantly astounded by the negativity of some. Why do some of you have to make this a competition between cruise lines and whose opinions are the right ones? Isn't it enough to say that we are glad that CCL, RCCL and NCL are doing something to help, as we all should if we are able?

I've noticed that after other cruise lines announced what they were doing people here and on social media were very critical of Carnival. I think what people fail to realize is one should not just react when a disaster occurs. You need to find out what the needs of the communities are. For example other cruise lines are showing up with supplies. If everybody were to show up with water and food, that's great, but what about people that need clothes, ply wood, etc. I actually think waiting to see what the needs of those effected is the best decision.

I've noticed that after other cruise lines announced what they were doing people here and on social media were very critical of Carnival. I think what people fail to realize is one should not just react when a disaster occurs. You need to find out what the needs of the communities are. For example other cruise lines are showing up with supplies. If everybody were to show up with water and food, that's great, but what about people that need clothes, ply wood, etc. I actually think waiting to see what the needs of those effected is the best decision.

Yes!! I knew they would help too, they just couldn't stand by and not. But, there is going to be long-term, lengthy help needed, so no reason for everyone to jump in there immediately. It's great that RCI and Norwegian were able to go over and help house people on their ships. It's no different than what just happened in TX (which seems to have quickly faded from everyone's minds). There were all these people asking in my FB groups about where they could donate clothes and toys, etc... But when you start to read things, they had no room for all this "stuff." They needed specific things, yes, mostly medical supplies, essential items, etc... Several police departments actually created Amazon wishlists with just those things on it, that way people could purchase them and have it delivered directly there. There just isn't space to store all that other stuff. It's just the reality of things. And right now, these little island countries have even less space than Houston.

Anyway.... I know there's going to be a lot of help needed for months and years to come. So there will be plenty of it to go around.

I agree that people should put their yardsticks away. People who suffered from Irma will appreciate everyone's help.

We all sail who we sail for our own personal reasons. Some of us sail them all but may have a preference.

Some of the Islanders have never sailed any of them. They have no preference. Let's not make it about us.

We should just say thank you to everyone who helps and join them in helping.

If you are a praying person keep Irma's victims in yours.

I am sure that all the cruise lines will do what they can, I am also sure that other companies will do what they can such as FED EX and UPS. This is what good Corporate Neighbors do. I don't think the people in there desimated areas care who it is just that someone cared.

I'm so glad that Carnival is finally saying they are going to pitch in. As a CCL shareholder, I was really disappointed this past week reading that Carnival was not being more proactive in making ship sailing cancellations far enough in advance so their passengers could make timely travel decisions, and especially those flying in in advance for their cruises. In contrast, I've also been reading about how RCCL was proactive in volunteering to allow their Miami-based employees the option to board a RCCL ship, along with their families, to be taken out of harm's way of Irma. I couldn't help but wonder why Carnival wasn't doing the same thing. And then I read about NCL and RCCL calling in St. Thomas to allow citizens there to board their ships to be evacuated from that storm-ravaged area.

Best wishes to everyone affected by Irma, and hoping everyone is safe. I sure wish Carnival had been as willing to pitch in like RCCL and NCL have to help people in harm's way.

No points for first but a previous poster said they hoped other cruise lines would step up like carnival

The poster was just pointing out other cruise lines have before carnival jumped in

My point was this was not a time for throwing stones, which I interpreted the quoted poster to have done. If that was not true then I stand corrected. There have been a few today doing what happens here way to much, that is Carnival bashing. They really don't need me to defend their actions (which are usually industry leading in times of crisis). All that said, this part of the world has taken a wicked one two punch and needs all the help that everyone can give.

I'm so glad that Carnival is finally saying they are going to pitch in. As a CCL shareholder, I was really disappointed this past week reading that Carnival was not being more proactive in making ship sailing cancellations far enough in advance so their passengers could make timely travel decisions, and especially those flying in in advance for their cruises. In contrast, I've also been reading about how RCCL was proactive in volunteering to allow their Miami-based employees the option to board a RCCL ship, along with their families, to be taken out of harm's way of Irma. I couldn't help but wonder why Carnival wasn't doing the same thing. And then I read about NCL and RCCL calling in St. Thomas to allow citizens there to board their ships to be evacuated from that storm-ravaged area.

Best wishes to everyone affected by Irma, and hoping everyone is safe. I sure wish Carnival had been as willing to pitch in like RCCL and NCL have to help people in harm's way.

I give up....

I am certainly not what one would deem a cheerleader and have sailed with both CCL & NCL. RCL just hasn't worked out yet, had one booked with the Empress returns debacle and an unfortunate cancellation on Adventure. All lines have their own pluses and minuses, but, one thing they all have in common, is that they need the islands and the islands need them. They will all help out, as they have done in the past.

To be fair, yes, RCL & NCL are going to those islands immediately and Carnival is not (but soon), however, it's not to pick up residents and provide housing. They are going to drop immediately needed supplies and/or to pick up displaced tourists and bring them to San Juan so they can fly home. It's is a great thing to do, but, those ships will then return to their home port for their next sailings.

Carnival & the CEO donated 2 million dollars to Houston relief and actually, the Victory did have other Carnival employees that embarked when she went back to Miami to debark those passengers who so chose to do so. Others chose to stay on for an extended cruise, at no extra cost to them personally, plus, now the announcement by John Heald which was posted above.

At the end of the day they are a business and while they are ALL good corporate citizens, they exist to provide us with cruising options, however, their end goal is to make money for their shareholders. They will help where they can, but, will not disrupt their schedules for longer than necessary. No need to bash one line to make you feel good or superior about the one you prefer!

As a presumably-former CCL shareholder, I hope you earned a decent return on all the shares that you sold. You certainly sound perturbed enough about Carnival's perceived inaction to sever your financial ties with the company, no?

I think Carnival's approach, making last minute decisions regarding Irma, has negatively impacted their ability to provide support. Royal Caribbean was much quicker to make decisions before Irma, and because they chose to cancel cruises earlier, they were much better positioned and prepared to assist storm-related efforts. RCCL has already been picking up people stranded on islands heavily damaged and taking them to safe places where they can safely get on with their lives. RCCL stressed these were their own decisions and that they are not part of government efforts. While Carnival delayed decisions, RCCL was already busy using their ships to evacuate their Miami-based staff and their families to safety, and then picking up people stranded on the islands and taking them to places where they could escape the devastation.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172281352.html

I think Carnival's approach, making last minute decisions regarding Irma, has negatively impacted their ability to provide support. Royal Caribbean was much quicker to make decisions before Irma, and because they chose to cancel cruises earlier, they were much better positioned and prepared to assist storm-related efforts. RCCL has already been picking up people stranded on islands heavily damaged and taking them to safe places where they can safely get on with their lives. RCCL stressed these were their own decisions and that they are not part of government efforts. While Carnival delayed decisions, RCCL was already busy using their ships to evacuate their Miami-based staff and their families to safety, and then picking up people stranded on the islands and taking them to places where they could escape the devastation.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172281352.html

"While Carnival delayed decisions," were you in any of those meetings?

Your post is hearsay and conjecture.

This thread has become useless bickering. Almost to the level of 10 year-old boys comparing their man-sizes. Sheer ridiculousness.