Are there anycruises that have an underwater deck

"..... French expedition cruise company Ponant is getting in on the game by launching the first-ever underwater lounge at sea. Blue Eye, a sleek, multi-sensory space, will be unveiled on the brand’s four new Ponant Explorers: Le Bougainville, Le Dumont-d'Urville, Le Lapérouse and Le Champlain."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/06/06/check-out-worlds-first-underwater-lounge-on-cruise-ship.html

underwaterlounge2-768x431.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

Under current international safety regulations , passengers aren't allowed below the waterline. This is the same reason why all sleeping accommodations are above the waterline.

While it may be correct that no passenger cabins are allowed below the waterline (and I can't find a SOLAS citation regarding this), it is not correct that "passengers aren't allowed below the waterline". If you've ever taken a "behind the scenes" tour to the ship's laundry, you are below the waterline.

One reason there aren't passenger cabins below the waterline is the need for watertight doors at intervals along these decks, and the requirement that these be closed while at sea, requiring lots of stairwells to go up above the subdivision deck and then back down to get from one cabin to the one next door if it is on the other side of the watertight door.

Doesn't the Celebrity Infinity have a small 'window' that allows you to see beneath the ship?

Could be wrong of course :D

Not that I have ever heard of or seen. The Millennium class ships, which Infinity is, do have two small windows in the floor of the bridge to look down at the edge of the ship when docking.

Bridge%20tour%203.JPG

Hi all!

Seems to me there was a window in the floor of an eating place on Infinity as I remember getting a surprise when I moved my chair.

Sometimes on a river cruise the lower cabins can be in the water, I remember an occupant saying they could see the ducks feet going by!

It would be great to have an underwater viewing area.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

Seems to me there was a window in the floor of an eating place on Infinity as I remember getting a surprise when I moved my chair.

Sometimes on a river cruise the lower cabins can be in the water, I remember an occupant saying they could see the ducks feet going by!

It would be great to have an underwater viewing area.

~ Jo ~ :)

The Oceanview Cafe extends out beyond the decks below on both M-class and S-class. I remember seeing "windows" in the floor in the Oceanview on M-class; not sure about S-class.

Is there such a thing as a cruise with a negative 1 deck that can let you see under the ocean? If not that's a really cool idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dears TheFluffyCruisingOtter,

PONANT recently launched the first underwater lounge aboard a cruise ship. This underwater lounge, named Blue eye, will be available on all new cruise ships PONANT Explorers.

You can discover this underwater lounge via the following video:

Kind regards.

The PONANT team.

• 4 months later...
Dears TheFluffyCruisingOtter,

PONANT recently launched the first underwater lounge aboard a cruise ship. This underwater lounge, named Blue eye, will be available on all new cruise ships PONANT Explorers.

You can discover this underwater lounge via the following video:

Kind regards.

The PONANT team.

I absolutely LOVE the look of this lounge!!!

;)

We were on a river cruise with our window about 8 inches high. It was near the ceiling. water level was the middle of the window.

Really? What ship?

Every River ship I've seen on 10 or so River cruises have had its windows above the waterline. Nmuch of the cabin is below the water line, but not the window.