Unusual & intrusive questions by AA agent at Barelona Airport

nelblu

I don't think there is any consistency to anything at airports or airlines. Once, BEFORE getting into the TSA line, I was asked to put my purse in my carryon bag by the lady standing at the front of the line (The person who checks your ticket before you get in line) I asked her why, because I thought I was odd, and she told me to just to do as she asked and wouldn't give me an answer. :rolleyes: I can't see any reason why I would need to combine bags before getting in the TSA line and I really shouldn't have been forced to do so, but what are we supposed to do? Once we enter the airport, seems like we are powerless almost if we want to get to our destination in time

Because many years ago, for some airports, the people before TSA had the additional duty of monitoring carryons for size and number.

At one point, there was a template in front of the xray scanner to stop over sized carry on bags.

We were asked similar questions in Barcelona last year including questions for teens whose parents were asked not to stay with them in line. My understanding was that this was definitely security related. I was told the agents at the US check in asking the questions were specially trained to do so - not just any gate agent.

This happened on Sept. 10 when we checked in for our 1:05 pm flight on American to Philadelphia. The agent was pleasant and when she saw the RCL luggage tag asked us about the trip. We saw nothing in the question as our impression was that she was being friendly. The subsequent questions were unusual.

Q: How was your trip--no problem.

Q: Which countries we visited--no problem.

Problematic questions.

Q: Turned to my wife and asked her what was the cabin #, as though my wife was hiding something.

Q: How did we book our cruise.

Q: When I answered that I booked it on line, she proceeded to ask me the web-site address. Rather than prolong the discussion I told her that it was via RCL at RCCL.com.

I was tempted to tell her that it was none of her business, but since we were close to the weight limit, I played along.

As we completed our check-in, we wondered if we were selected for this process as we could not check-in on line on Brilliance and instead were advised to check-in at airport.

At our gate, there was an irate member of the UC Irvine, California water polo team that was incensed by some inane questions posed by a AA agent to her.

Wonder if this is new as part of the overall security package.

We've been thru Barcelona Airport and never experienced this process.

I think the proximity to the 9/11 anniversary justifies whatever security measures they deem necessary. Don't want to comply, don't travel. The rest of the travelers are not willing to sacrifice their safety for your sensitivities.

Problematic questions.

Q: Turned to my wife and asked her what was the cabin #, as though my wife was hiding something.

Q: How did we book our cruise.

Q: When I answered that I booked it on line, she proceeded to ask me the web-site address. Rather than prolong the discussion I told her that it was via RCL at RCCL.com.

Civil liberties is very cherished in the US and not sure if this would constitute profiling.

Seriously, you are not sure if those three questions are profiling? No they are not. What would they be profiling? You also have a grave misunderstanding of Civil Liberties if you think those questions violated yours.

I can't believe some people's reaction to being asked questions at security. The purpose is to keep you safe! At my home airport, I am almost always pulled aside for the explosive check - it isn't because I am 'marked' - one person explained to me that they are trained to pull aside people who look nice :) Do I mind? No! For goodness sake - if this is the worst thing that has happened to you, you haven't experienced life.

Let me ask you, what do you think giving the attendant attitude about the questions, which weren't personal, have gotten you? I can tell you what it would have gotten you, more intrusive screening and questions. When people become combative about answering questions they assume you have something to hide. They may have decided to hold you back until they could verify your story causing you to miss your plane.

But go ahead, give the attendant who is doing her job attitude next time. We will have fun reading the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. You said almost verbatim what I was going to say to the dude who chose to challenge the agent questioning him.

Now, I love me a good ol' New York 'tude. I really do. But be careful. You wouldn't be the first one, but because of it you might find yourself locked in a small room blubbering for your mommy instead of boarding your flight.

Just sayin'...

Don't want to comply, don't travel. The rest of the travelers are not willing to sacrifice their safety for your sensitivities.

Bingo.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't enlighten a fool.

Civil liberties is very cherished in the US and not sure if this would constitute profiling. Maybe I'm spoiled since I have both TSA clearance & Global Entry and I don't have to remove my belt, shoes, etc. prior to entering the security screening process. My fingerprints and my personal profile are on file and co-ordinated with my passport.

I answer all the questions quite happily (and offer to show the photos of the trip ...) and I tell the Agent that I have had 2 hip replacements and that I will set the alarms off because of the metal pins. Sometimes I am taken to the body scanner straightaway - but usually I am ignored until the alarm sounds - then it is the scanner, the shoes removal and the pat down ... I do my best - and I know the Agent is following instructions so just let's get on with it ... :). I look like what I am - an overweight ageing tourist, wearing a stupid grin from ear to ear because I am going on holiday again - and wearing a size of shorts 2 up from last year's model!

I answer all the questions quite happily (and offer to show the photos of the trip ...) and I tell the Agent that I have had 2 hip replacements and that I will set the alarms off because of the metal pins. Sometimes I am taken to the body scanner straightaway - but usually I am ignored until the alarm sounds - then it is the scanner, the shoes removal and the pat down ... I do my best - and I know the Agent is following instructions so just let's get on with it ... :). I look like what I am - an overweight ageing tourist, wearing a stupid grin from ear to ear because I am going on holiday again - and wearing a size of shorts 2 up from last year's model!

An ex security officer told us they check 1 in 10 passengers randomly and usually smarter dressed ones.

Up to now Being from UK we have never experienced any of these questions at check in.

I think it is unfortunate our American friends and airlines are targeted in many places outside the US.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I can't believe some people's reaction to being asked questions at security. The purpose is to keep you safe! At my home airport, I am almost always pulled aside for the explosive check - it isn't because I am 'marked' - one person explained to me that they are trained to pull aside people who look nice :) Do I mind? No! For goodness sake - if this is the worst thing that has happened to you, you haven't experienced life.

'...they are trained to pull aside people who look nice'. Do they look for friendly passengers or just those with the latest hairstyle? :confused::)

Whatever the scope of their jobs, they ARE trained to call for higher security.

After a land-based tour of eastern Europe, we had a plane (and airline) change at Rome, having come from Slovenia. The AGENT at our US-bound GATE called for security -- I don't recall what questions were asked first, because they didn't matter. When the Security Guy arrived, the real concern became apparent quite quickly: How did we happen to be travelling without checked baggage, when we'd been on holiday for something like two weeks???

I admit, I laughed out loud. NOT necessarily the right response, although it was genuine and not nervous or "telling". I then replied that we'd learned to do so over years of travel and chose to do so in order that our suitcases would be on the same plane with us to the same destination. This was an acceptable response and got our boarding pass stamped.

I guess I'm just naturally slow to take offense. And especially in airports, courthouses, and yes, on the way onto cruiseships.

To me, airline check-in is not security.

Actually, it is. Given that this was an international flight it is the airlines responsibility (US carrier or otherwise) to determine that you have the proper authorization to enter the country. Failure to do so on their part can result in the airline being fined and sometimes more. DHS is the only body that determines what requirements the airline must fulfill. Any techniques used in this process must be DHS approved.

They are, as someone else pointed out, looking at the person.

If they were looking at the person, every male between 14 and 50 years old of Arabic, Indian/Pakistani or Somalian appearance would be intensively screened, since men fitting that description carry out the overwhelming majority of terrorist attacks worldwide. Not 85 year old grandmas.

But in this age of political correctness, everyone has to be treated equally, in the name of so-called "security", so me and granny have to be treated the same as Abu al Britani, returning home to Europe after fighting for ISIS in Syria.

Everyone is inconvenienced, no one is safer. In Brussels, terrorists attacked the departure hall of the airport, before so-called "security".

Anyone can hi-jack a truck with a kitchen knife and drive it into a crowd. Would it matter what stateroom number that guy had been in on his last cruise?

T.S.A.? = Thousands Standing Around!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Still working my way through the thread, but my initial reactio, like that of many others, is that those questions are only mildly unusual and not at all intrusive.

Just because these questions are standard does not mean that they are appropriate or welcome. We've given away a great deal of control to people who are not trained law enforcement, and we are no safer than we ever were.

The rudest employees I have ever encountered are those who work in airports. They treat paying passengers like garbage because they can, and we put up with it because they have the power to deny boarding.

I don't fly often. It's not worth the aggravation. I love Europe, and have seen some amazing places on cruises, but I am treated far better on my frequent train trips than I ever was in an airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intersting perspective. I fly very often--mostly in and to/from Europe, the US and Canada. I've really only encountered a really rude ariport employee once (TSA agent in Denver last spring---exceptionally rude and clearly on a pwoer trip. I spoke to a manager about it; they pulled tapes . . .). But that is one out of hundreds of enoucnters. Some agents are a bit gruff/unfriendly but not actualy rude--just not outgoing either. Most are quite nice. I think a lot has to do with how they are approached by the traveller.

What I DO see are a huge number of passengers being rude to check in and security staff for things out of the staff'S control (like having to take shoes off for screenings or late flights, etc)

You're kidding! If I have to place my security to the desk agent, then we are all in trouble....

Civil liberties is very cherished in the US and not sure if this would constitute profiling.

You need to not travel in Foreign Countries anymore. The arrogance to assume that airline personnel that ask you these questions aren't trained is amazing. It doesn't actually matter if you think that your security is in the hands of a desk agent or not. And you check your "civil liberties" at the door the minute you enter any foreign country. You are now subject to THEIR version of "civil liberties." This has, unfortunately, been realized too late by many who opted to travel to Iran or North Korea, etc. then demand their rights as guaranteed under OUR Constitution. Sorry, but we Americans don't actually rule the world. Our version of rights are only guaranteed in our country. You need to figure that one out really fast, or you will find yourself having a little "further questioning" in a private room. That will not be a pleasant experience.

Airline personnel in foreign countries, like their governments, take security extremely seriously. That comes from too many years of both attacks on their own countries and being "launching off" points for attacks on airlines headed to the U.S. The infamous "underwear bomber" started in Nigeria and connected in Amsterdam for the U.S. with the intent of bringing down a U.S. airliner. The Pan Am 747 that blew up over Lockerbie, Scotland had the bomb placed aboard in Frankfurt. So if you plan to travel in Europe, get used to being asked what cabin you were in or cruiseline you cruised, etc. You don't actually need to understand these questions, that's your choice. But as others have pointed out, people don't expect them from a "mere" airline agent. Since they are "unexpected" questions, your demeanor when answering them, or not knowing the answer, tells the agent volumes. That's the reason, like it or don't like, no one cares. But go for the "ugly American" attitude and tee off on an airline agent next time you're abroad. And we can read your post about the hours of intense grilling you were subjected to after.

To me, airline check-in is not security.

Nowdays, it is ALL part of security.

From the parking lot attendants, to the porters, to the check in desk personnel, to the visible security folks, and so forth.

If they were looking at the person, every male between 14 and 50 years old of Arabic, Indian/Pakistani or Somalian appearance would be intensively screened, since men fitting that description carry out the overwhelming majority of terrorist attacks worldwide. Not 85 year old grandmas.

But in this age of political correctness, everyone has to be treated equally, in the name of so-called "security", so me and granny have to be treated the same as Abu al Britani, returning home to Europe after fighting for ISIS in Syria.

Everyone is inconvenienced, no one is safer. In Brussels, terrorists attacked the departure hall of the airport, before so-called "security".

Anyone can hi-jack a truck with a kitchen knife and drive it into a crowd. Would it matter what stateroom number that guy had been in on his last cruise?

So then what about those clean cut, blonde haired American citizens that have joined ISIS? Ignore them?

At one time, the profiling you suggest might have worked, but not every radical these days meets your mold.

And yes, US law prevents profiling on racial, age, gender, and several other protected categories.

And Brussels taught everyone something, but then again, compared to taking down a loaded airplane, it was not that successful. Brussels airport - 32 killed, Pan Am 103 - 259 on board, and a further 11 on the ground.

And obviously you just want to argue, as it has been pointed out NUMEROUS times, that it is not the questions and answers, but your reaction to them. And yes, airline desk personnel have been trained in doing this for MANY years, going back to the Have you packed your bag questions in the late 80s and 90s.

Still working my way through the thread, but my initial reactio, like that of many others, is that those questions are only mildly unusual and not at all intrusive.

Intersting perspective. I fly very often--mostly in and to/from Europe, the US and Canada. I've really only encountered a really rude ariport employee once (TSA agent in Denver last spring---exceptionally rude and clearly on a pwoer trip. I spoke to a manager about it; they pulled tapes . . .). But that is one out of hundreds of enoucnters. Some agents are a bit gruff/unfriendly but not actualy rude--just not outgoing either. Most are quite nice. I think a lot has to do with how they are approached by the traveller.

What I DO see are a huge number of passengers being rude to check in and security staff for things out of the staff'S control (like having to take shoes off for screenings or late flights, etc)

Same here.

And think about it, you have a fairly low paying job (TSA screeners started at $24000 a year, meaning that cannot afford the vacation you are taking), dealing with nothing but people who were mad at you over something you have NO control over. How would YOU act?

Personally, I always smile and say something nice to them. They deal with enough a**holes, like many of the posters in this thread. So I try to be the OTHER type of person.

And if I forget there is a bottle of water or something else the want to look at in my bag, I smile and apologize for forgetting that it was in there.

So then what about those clean cut, blonde haired American citizens that have joined ISIS? Ignore them?

At one time, the profiling you suggest might have worked, but not every radical these days meets your mold.

And yes, US law prevents profiling on racial, age, gender, and several other protected categories.

And Brussels taught everyone something, but then again, compared to taking down a loaded airplane, it was not that successful. Brussels airport - 32 killed, Pan Am 103 - 259 on board, and a further 11 on the ground.

And obviously you just want to argue, as it has been pointed out NUMEROUS times, that it is not the questions and answers, but your reaction to them. And yes, airline desk personnel have been trained in doing this for MANY years, going back to the Have you packed your bag questions in the late 80s and 90s.

How many blond-haired Americans went to join ISIS? How many have committed terrorist attacks?

How many dead at the Bataclan Theatre, Paris? 130, and 384 injured. No blond-haired Americans there, only in the audience.

And in Beslan, Russia, in 2004, since you are delving back into history with Lockerbie as we call it here, what about the 385 dead when Chechen Muslim terrorists invaded a school and held 1100 people hostage for three days until Special Forces went in? No blond-haired Americans there!

As Sun Tzu said: "Know your enemy". He sure ain't me or an 85 year old granny.

Edited by Bollinge

T.S.A.? = Thousands Standing Around!

There is no way to prevent everything, yes, but something like that happening in the air will kill many more people on the plane and potentially on land (9/11)

Answering several questions isn't that huge inconvenience in comparison.

Again, we are NO SAFER. We travel on cruise ships, and on buses and trains, with much less screening than we experience in airports. We have been trained to check our common sense at the door the minute we enter an airport, and to act like sheep while subjected to ever-more intrusive and pushy security procedures. In my case, these procedures are imposed upon me by people who often have much less education and much less experience in the workplace than I do.

I have NEVER been rude to a Customs agent. I have NEVER refused to answer a question. However, if check-in agents want to know what stateroom I stayed in, they can call the cruise line and ask. I'll wait.

Flying has become a miserable experience. Security is important and necessary, but there is a limit.

By the way, I am not an American.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are you talking about? If it took someone as many years of education to become a TSA or customs agent as I spent to become a physician I'd say that person was too dumb to be in that position in the first place. Most people that I deal with have not spent as many years in school as I did. So what?

I was pulled aside for an explosives check at Heathrow once. It didn't bother me in the least. And I think the agent new he was going to come up with nothing just from my demeanor when I was pulled out of line... I was more curious than anything else.