Very Bad HAL Maintenance.....or is it just me?

Hlitner

I wondered about the same thing at first, but then assumed that she was was only saying that not every HAL ship should be assumed to be in the condition of the Rotterdam

As far as trusting one poster's comments over another, are you suggesting that posters should not relate their own, differing experiences on the particular ship? That is what it sounds like.

Hank tells it like it is - the good, the bad, the ugly. Some only see sunshine and unicorns, or report only sunshine and unicorns, ignoring the ogre.

If someone is reporting their views of Ship A, someone saying things were perfect on Ship B weeks later isn't relevant to the conversation of Ship A.

I've read and taken the advice Hank has posted, especially on the Italy Board. He resonates truthfulness in the posts I've read where he answers questions. I think the respect he has from some is the only reason he hasn't been "raked over the coals" like others who post less-than-glowing reviews of an older HAL ship. JMHO

How does a comment about the Oosterdam the other day relate at all to what Hank commented about the Rotterdam weeks ago?

My comment referred directly to the OP's thread title, which to me appeared to be a sweeping generalized statement regarding HAL's maintenance issues, implying that HAL has somehow 'dropped the ball' in terms of maintenance of their vessels across the fleet. He then proceeded to discuss his specific experience on Rotterdam. Those issues are in no way indicative of the level of maintenance on vessels other than perhaps Rotterdam. My comment was only to provide affirmation and another recent personal experience (on a different vessel); that what OP experienced on Rotterdam should not be interpreted as the general conditions that one would expect to find on other HAL vessels (i.e. Oosterdam).

Hank's reputation on CC is above reproach; I trust his opinions and comments. Others...

Happy to hear that.. ;)

I like the food and services on Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam. But we have decided to avoid to board HAL ships after a Koningsdam cruise. I have been sick on both ships at the end. The design of the ventilation above a bed in the cabin is very bad. I thought the new ship will change the location of the vents. No. And I don’t like B.B. King Blue music. Always the same playlist and can’t dance with their songs. We recently tried Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 and enjoyed the cruise so much that we will do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

... Delicious fresh oj in the MDR; not sure about the lido...

Interesting. It was never served in the MDR, just the Lido...

We have always had fresh oj in both the MDR and the Lido until our most recent cruise in January when it was not served in the Lido, but was still served in the MDR.

Hank's reputation on CC is above reproach; I trust his opinions and comments.

I agree he's a valued member of these boards, and I agree with him more often than not. But that said, opinions are never beyond reproach. Facts, yes. Opinions, no.

Sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns here. :)

Hank IS good. Always honest, clearly spoken, and with opinions backed up with vast experience and how he saw things.

On this thread I also value the opinions of the ones who shared his Voyage of the Vikings.

Barbara

Different passengers on the 2017 Voyage of the Vikings noticed different facts.

Barbara

And, this is true on any cruise on which I have sailed where a review was posted whose views differed from others who also posted such reviews. And, which also differed from my experience.

Different passengers on the 2017 Voyage of the Vikings noticed different facts.

Barbara

Any two people can honestly and correctly report vastly different experiences from the same venue - a ship, a hotel, a restaurant, a city. What happens on one corridor, served by a certain steward can be radically different from what happens one deck up or down. And, the same had luck which placed one passenger in a cabin with plumbing and A/C problems and a lazy steward might follow him into the dining room.

This is not to deny reports - and certain experienced cruisers are likely to notice more things objectively than a dewy eyed first-timer who is so enthralled with the experience that everything seems magical, so their reports warrant more attention --- but the fact remains: different things happen to different people.

Any two people can honestly and correctly report vastly different experiences from the same venue - a ship, a hotel, a restaurant, a city. What happens on one corridor, served by a certain steward can be radically different from what happens one deck up or down. And, the same had luck which placed one passenger in a cabin with plumbing and A/C problems and a lazy steward might follow him into the dining room.

This is not to deny reports - and certain experienced cruisers are likely to notice more things objectively than a dewy eyed first-timer who is so enthralled with the experience that everything seems magical, so their reports warrant more attention --- but the fact remains: different things happen to different people.

Thank you for an excellent post. It is tiresome to continue hearing criticism of those who report positive, as opposed to negative experiences on a particular cruise as being nothing more than HAL cheerleaders.

Thank you for an excellent post. It is tiresome to continue hearing criticism of those who report positive, as opposed to negative experiences on a particular cruise as being nothing more than HAL cheerleaders.

Spot on, Tampa Girl (y)(y)(y)

Absolutely agree. I once sailed with a large group in which some had a dreadful time due to issues that did not affect the others in the group. Your last paragraph sums it all up.

• 2 weeks later...

Main problem all the smaller ships are up for sale now already since 2015

Everytime we book a cruise in advance we are afraid the ship is gone.

Rotterdam will be in drydock in november but will she be get the things she really needs because Nieuw Statendam will arrive at october2018 and from then on 2 smaller ships should leave the company

Probably Maasdam and ?

Like Ryndam and Statendam in 2015

So we think Zaandam will be joining her

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Forums