Prohibited Items

roger001

Just went to download the edocs for our next cruise. In bold red type displayed across the face of the edoc page is a warning I've never seen on there before. It lists prohibited items to NOT be taken aboard. Darn. They've just gone and taken the fun out of cruising! :p

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles

The knife restriction on a blade of 4 inches or less will make you very competitive in the knife fight against cruisers from the Carnival family (Carnival, Princess, Holland America, etc.) They're limited to a blade length of 2.5 inches. The extra inch and a half might not seem like much, but in close quarters combat every bit helps. ;)

The knife restriction on a blade of 4 inches or less will make you very competitive in the knife fight against cruisers from the Carnival family (Carnival, Princess, Holland America, etc.) They're limited to a blade length of 2.5 inches. The extra inch and a half might not seem like much, but in close quarters combat every bit helps. ;)

they could always go to steak house and get longer knives... LOL!

• 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

These items have me curious...I can see them not allowing laser's or laser pointer's, as those can be a hazard to eyes...but what is wrong with a satellite phone, or ham radio equipment? Afraid they will lose revenue from their own service?

And transformer's? Just about any device, phones, cameras, etc. use transformers to recharge...

And what's the problem with EPIRB? Someone setting off a false alarm or something?....

Very curious, indeed...

The knife restriction on a blade of 4 inches or less

The restriction is on knives LONGER than 4 inches. We carry a 3 inch penknife and have had it measured each cruise. But we carry it in hand luggage so the checked luggage doesn't get held up. We move it between luggage types at the hotel between flights and cruises.

These items have me curious...I can see them not allowing laser's or laser pointer's, as those can be a hazard to eyes...but what is wrong with a satellite phone, or ham radio equipment? Afraid they will lose revenue from their own service?

And transformer's? Just about any device, phones, cameras, etc. use transformers to recharge...

And what's the problem with EPIRB? Someone setting off a false alarm or something?....

Very curious, indeed...

I'm going to guess it is similar to airlines restrictions on anything that can transmit in theory can interfere with the aircrafts' navigation systems. The ships' navigation systems are high tech similar.

I'm going to guess it is similar to airlines restrictions on anything that can transmit in theory can interfere with the aircrafts' navigation systems. The ships' navigation systems are high tech similar.

Yes, you might have something there...someone with a marine band radio transceiver could maliciously interfere with operations, I suppose...far fetched, but possible...:confused:

The knife restriction on a blade of 4 inches or less

The restriction is on knives LONGER than 4 inches. We carry a 3 inch penknife and have had it measured each cruise. But we carry it in hand luggage so the checked luggage doesn't get held up. We move it between luggage types at the hotel between flights and cruises.

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote it. Given the serious nature of my post, I'm pretty sure that it would be interpreted correctly. I was wrong.

So, as a point of correction, I did NOT mean that you can bring a machete, broadsword, or one of those Crocodile Dundee knives. That would not have made any sense in the context of the comparison to the CCL 2.5 inch restriction and the comment about the extra inch and a half being advantageous in a knife fight.

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote it. Given the serious nature of my post, I'm pretty sure that it would be interpreted correctly. I was wrong.

So, as a point of correction, I did NOT mean that you can bring a machete, broadsword, or one of those Crocodile Dundee knives. That would not have made any sense in the context of the comparison to the CCL 2.5 inch restriction and the comment about the extra inch and a half being advantageous in a knife fight.

The lethality of knife length depends on the area in which you strike and the manner in which you strike. Of course, the "thin skull" rule applies, but that is target specific.

Based on the size of the average cruiser, a harpoon may be necessary rather than 2.5" knife blade.

And, to note the comment regarding steak knives in Cagneys ... the NCL policy is aspirational ... without detection, prevention, and deterrence ... we hope for the best. Otherwise, we cut our steaks with sporks.

Did I miss it - aren't Drones prohibited? Thought I read that on CC in a previous post. Not that I have one......

Evidently you missed seeing it on the list. Go back to list in OP and re-read #22 which specifically mentions drones.