The "new" Platinum/Elite Cocktail Lounge

Nrknits

On behalf of those several hundred of us who do enjoy Captain's Circle Parties we "Thank you" for allowing us to enjoy ourselves without what appears from your words to be a very sour disposition.

I hope your next 1,000 days of cruising turn out better.

You are 100 percent right, we were on our 37th Princess cruise Dec 10 on the Regal & although the cruise itself was great, the Captains party drinks were horrible. They did serve appetizers that were good & have been deleted on some past cruises but the drinks were so bad, we reordered & received the same crap. Doubt if I`1ll even bother going again. If they want to serve a decent drink they should just cancel the whole event.

My husband and I are on the 60 day SA cruise on Island Princess 1/24/18 at Platinum level. Haven't cruised on Princess for a LONG time so it's very interesting to read of all the changes and learn of the "old/new" PE Lounge,of which I never knew.

In 2015 we sailed on HAL Amsterdam on the World Grand Adventure, a smaller ship (about 1200 passengers); an AMAZING cruise, staff, amenities, tons of special parties/events/galas/Super Bowl/Oscar Night/ BOGO HH daily with "real" great drinks and cocktails and good hot/cold appys passed around by staff. We do not buy the drink package; a 60 day cruise becomes our "home", and we absolutely don't consume that much alcohol on a normal basis! We bring some nice wines and champagne aboard, pay corkage fees for bottles in excess of the two allowed, buy more as needed, attend the parties/HH and buy occasional cocktails as desired...and have a great time!

Reading the commentary, it seems there's a lot of changes being made and dissention from passengers. It will be very interesting to experience a Princess 60 day cruise and see how it compares to our HAL cruise, since the much longer voyages are quite different from the "normal" 7 - 28 days. I'm hoping for the best, of course, but am somewhat leary based on CC comments.....but I'll take the optimistic "full glass" approach! Anyone have comments re similar LONG voyages? Thanks for input!

I truly hope you will have a great time. I was on the Island last February for a 15-day PC canal cruise. Unfortunately I would never sail the Island again. They took out a large lounge on the Promenade deck and added +-100 new cabins, also chopping off the wraparound promenade deck. So now there are 200+ more passengers on the ship and less public space. Anytime Dining had long lines, theater had long lines, etc. Fortunately Princess realized their mistake and didn't butcher the Coral in the same way.

I was on a 21-night SA/Antarctica cruise in Dec 2016/Jan 2017 on HAL. Great cruise. Had a couple of small issues with food service (well one was not so small). But other than that, I was very impressed with HAL. A bit smaller ship (1200 or so max) and it was not filled to capacity. You get to see some passengers more often once you meet them and chat a bit. I ended up doing an independent excursion with an Australian family who I still keep in touch with.

You are 100 percent right, we were on our 37th Princess cruise Dec 10 on the Regal & although the cruise itself was great, the Captains party drinks were horrible. They did serve appetizers that were good & have been deleted on some past cruises but the drinks were so bad, we reordered & received the same crap. Doubt if I`1ll even bother going again. If they want to serve a decent drink they should just cancel the whole event.

Strange? Did you reorder the same drink they initially offered you?

I enjoy meeting the "hired help", especially at the Most Traveled Passenger luncheons and cocktail parties. Hopefully you refuse the invitations to those functions as well.

I agree what is the point of meeting the hired help. They have a job, entertain me. Their tips depends on it.

I enjoy meeting the "hired help", especially at the Most Traveled Passenger luncheons and cocktail parties. Hopefully you refuse the invitations to those functions as well.

Meet the hired help? :confused:

Do you mean the officers & staff?

I only think of the crew as being "hired help" not so much the officers.

Nothing is never free, there is always a price. We love going to the Elite/Platium lounge for the food and we have never expected to have drinks at a reduced price. I drink wine, champagne or margaritas only and would never try anything else. Never have as I have allergies to anything with bourbon, scotch and whisky so the drink of the day is not an option to me. I do love the food they serve and it is a great place to relax before dinner. We do go to the happy hour in the Wheelhouse bar and that is where you get a deal. Buy one and get one for a dollar.

Oh, but I do enjoy meeting the "hired help". I've made good friends with many over the years & always find a few old ones on every cruise.:)

I agree with you. Of course we enjoy the normal things about cruising but over the years people including crew members that we have befriended have become important to us. :)

I agree with you. Of course we enjoy the normal things about cruising but over the years people including crew members that we have befriended have become important to us. :)

I know that most of the ones from Nov/Dec will still be on the Royal next month & ready to go home shortly.

Looking forward to it!

Now that the cold Florida weather has broken somewhat, I still need a break before sailing again. Diet time. :D:D

In order to keep this thread on track I don't think I've been to the Platinum/Elite lounge for shacks more that once just to check it out.

Not at all impressive.

I like the PES lounge. Seats are comfortable and, at least when we have gone, it is not crowded. I have a little of the food, maybe 2 pieces of cheese and crackers. I figure I am eating enough at the meals without attacking the lounge food.

On our cruise last month, I spoke to the future cruise consultant and mentioned that I was not happy with the none refundable deposits for cruises. I normally book two years out. I use fcc's and normally have 6 cruises booked at a time. My husband does not like to plan ahead so I don't tell him about them until a month or so before final payment. I do this so I can get a specific cabin and I also find the best prices. In the last eight years, I have only cancelled one cruse but i did book a different itinerary for that date.

I have one cruise that I would like to book but right now my dh says no to that date. I really would like to put a fcc on it but don't want to do it under the none refundable. Yes, I know the $200 won't kill me but it is just the principle.

The cruise consultant agreed with me saying he has lost so many reservations because of this. He has mentioned it to the head office. He also said there have been so many people stopping in and expressing the same issue.

I just purchased six more fcc's each but they may be the last.

1) I'm confused that you posted on this thread and 2) where did you get this information? I just downloaded a form for an FCC for our cruise next week and it says that it's good for 2 years and will be refunded if not used. Where did you hear that it's not refundable?

1) I'm confused that you posted on this thread and 2) where did you get this information? I just downloaded a form for an FCC for our cruise next week and it says that it's good for 2 years and will be refunded if not used. Where did you hear that it's not refundable?

That's not what the poster was complaining about. Princess offers some promotions and cruise bookings with non-refundable deposits. This also happens a lot after final payment or close to sailing. She didn't want to have the jeopardy of losing her $200 deposit if she cancels a booking. Yes, you get a FCD on the books refunded if not used. You also get the FCD back if you cancel a cruise for which the deposit was paid by FCD - as long as the booking rules were for refundable deposits (most cruises).

Its a perk we once had & now its gone.

It's not gone, just different.

I've been Elite for several years and, obviously, Platinum before that. I have never once utilized this benefit and I have a marvelous time on every cruise. I mean to attend every cruise, only for the food, but always seem to have something else on my calendar at that time.

I can't remember the last time I read a thread that was almost 100% negative, and all because the drinks are a few dollars more and the venue may change. That is not enough for me to even consider moving to another line. I love Princess, and I also like HAL a lot. They have all made changes that I am not very happy with. But there are more changes that I am thrilled to be part of. The Royal Class is simply amazing. My last cruise on the Regal (October/November) was the best. I sail with a group called Regal Retreater from this site, and Princess bends over backward to accommodate our group and make it the best. Special dinners (yes we pay for the Crown Grill), a room to ourselves for socializing between dinner and the Halloween party, last year we were given the Piazza to perform a dance choreographed by a fellow passenger, this year we did a door decorating contest, There are so many Princess employees willing to go over and above for you, if you but ask.

I was reading through the thread before posting this, and saw that someone called the people who work on the ship, 'the hired help'. That is so demeaning and so not true. I have met and made many friends, male and female on the ships and we still write or see each other regularly. One of the prime things to ensure a happy experience, whether on a ship, plane, restaurant, or wherever, is to keep in mind that those who work on the ship are people, just like us, and should be treated as equals, not like servants there to do our bidding.

So smile, realize that the PES lounge is still there and spring for the extra few dollars for a drink if you want one, but enjoy each other's company.

Maureen

It's not gone, just different.

I can't remember the last time I read a thread that was almost 100% negative, and all because the drinks are a few dollars more and the venue may change.

Its not that the drinks cost a little more, but, rather the new drink offerings are so terrible in most peoples' opinions, ours' included.

Its not that the drinks cost a little more, but, rather the new drink offerings are so terrible in most peoples' opinions, ours' included.

As someone else said, then just eat and may I add, ask for water. Actually, the best and most effective is to talk to the food and beverage manager. Our group always gets excellent results from the hotel manager, too. It shouldn’t be any big deal for them to change and improve the selection.

It is a shame they’ve apparently dumbed down the product. But unless we let Princess know it’s not ok it won’t change. I also keep reminding myself that they are in this business to make profit for themselves and the stockholders.

As someone else said, then just eat and may I add, ask for water. Actually, the best and most effective is to talk to the food and beverage manager. Our group always gets excellent results from the hotel manager, too. It shouldn’t be any big deal for them to change and improve the selection.

It is a shame they’ve apparently dumbed down the product. But unless we let Princess know it’s not ok it won’t change. I also keep reminding myself that they are in this business to make profit for themselves and the stockholders.

You may ask as much as you want for a change while on board, but, the drink selection is the drink selection. Yes, you can order water and yes, you can order other than what is on the Elite bar menu at full price. However, that kind of defeats the whole idea of the perk.

We let Princess know while on board and on the post cruise survey. BTW, some people we met liked the new drinks, most did not. And on our cruise the Elite bar was very sparsely attended. This was unlike it has been on past cruises where there has always been a crowd.

Strange? Did you reorder the same drink they initially offered you?

Yes we did, Chairman of the board & brezza marina~s, they were really bad. Our next cruise is 01/21/18 on the Regal, not sure if we will attend.

Yes we did, Chairman of the board & brezza marina~s, they were really bad. Our next cruise is 01/21/18 on the Regal, not sure if we will attend.

That may be because they were pre-prepared before the crowd got there.

Next time order something that they have to make up on the spot or a beer, wine, liqueur, etc.

It might take 5 or 10 minutes to get your drink but it'll be better.

That may be because they were pre-prepared before the crowd got there.

Next time order something that they have to make up on the spot or a beer, wine, liqueur, etc.

It might take 5 or 10 minutes to get your drink but it'll be better.

Sound advice.....:):):)

Bob

• 1 month later...

The Platinum & Elite Lounge was one of our before dinner favorites, so when I began reading these posts here, I was hoping not true. Prior to a few weeks ago our last cruise was Nov. and Dec. 2016 and everything was still great in the "lounge" during that cruise (Pacific Princess). Alas, here is what I just told Princess: I'm certainly not enamored with your new cocktail format in this lounge. I was happy with what you used to provide. Now you offer a selection of eight different alcohol drinks which you apparently came up with as substitutes for the more traditional drinks you used to offer for $5.00 per. You now charge $6.50 for these new concoctions. We gave you a chance. Went three times and tried three different drinks each, most of the time we didn't finish the drinks due to not liking them. Your hors d'oeuvre offerings were still pretty good but the only way we would want to take time to attend is by purchasing the old traditional drinks for the full price. Thus, we said goodbye to this once great loyalty perk.