The "new" Platinum/Elite Cocktail Lounge

Nrknits

Yes I did. I believe I got them every day they were offered. Sure wish they had them every day like they did with the fries. They may be a contributing factor to the 6 pounds gained during that Tahiti cruise.

ONLY 6 !!! I would consider that a major feat! ;)

That cruise was 28 days! ;p

(I only gained 4 and I worked really, really hard to keep it there - I would normally gain close to 10 lbs. on a cruise that long. :o

Not the case on our last Caribbean Princess cruise, and I expect the next to be the same.

It has been repeatedly reported that the buy one get one for a dollar happy hour is no longer offered on the Caribbean Princess. Perhaps it will change again by March, but I wouldn't count on it.

It has been repeatedly reported that the buy one get one for a dollar happy hour is no longer offered on the Caribbean Princess. Perhaps it will change again by March, but I wouldn't count on it.

We will be on the Caribbean in 3 weeks. I will try to remember to post the answer

Thank you for the update. We will be on the Grand in two weeks. I bought DH the AIBP, he can tag along with me and my dad at the afternoon BOGO. Make sure you put your comments on the post cruise survey.

I can see a lot of 40% off bottles of wine in our future. ;) If we want to go to the Elite Lounge, I'll have DH buy a bottle and they can keep it behind the bar for us.

40% off bottles of wine? Please share how.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

40% off bottles of wine? Please share how.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With the old AIBP you got 40% off bottles of wine.

Several months ago it was changed to be called the Premium Beverage Package and the discount on bottles of wine was lowered to 25%.

Also the price per day to get the package was increased - I'm not positive about the price but I think it's about $65/pppd.

Will be taking my 1st PCL cruise on the Royal Princess in November as a Platinum Status cruiser. Would you please explain what this lounge is? This isn't a perk I remember seeing for this status. Congrats on your upgradre but sorry to say your only getting internet discount & preferred boarding. Try Royal Carib for their benefits.

Will be taking my 1st PCL cruise on the Royal Princess in November as a Platinum Status cruiser. Would you please explain what this lounge is? This isn't a perk I remember seeing for this status. Congrats on your upgradre but sorry to say your only getting internet discount & preferred boarding. Try Royal Carib for their benefits.

This perk is a cocktail party held between 5 & 7 pm on most days of a cruise. It is for passengers who are platinum or elite level members of the Princess Captains' Circle loyalty club or who have booked full suites.

If you are eligible you will have a card in your cabin giving the schedule and the featured drinks that will be offered at a discount. The card will also have a menu of the food that will be featured each evening for free.

We have been Elite for a very long time...but cannot even remember the last time we bothered to go to an Elite function. IMHO they are somewhat of a joke...and often quite boring. Years ago, Princess used have excellent hors' oeuvres but these have been cut-back. And saving a dollar on a drink is not as good as regular happy hours. When we were recently on the Regal we go the usual invite to the Elite/Platinum party (with the Captain) and ignored it. We happened to walk by the lounge when they were starting that party and passengers were lined up (at least 200 deep) waiting for their turn to look at the Captain and get a lousy drink. And then they would be able to sit in a packed lounge and listen to the usual Captain's speech. While this was going on (and folks were spending a half hour in line) we walked to one or our preferred bars, ordered our favorite drinks, and relaxed with friends.

Sorry if I sound crass, but having spent an awful lot of my life on cruise ships (stopped counting after the first thousand days) we just cannot get excited about these group activities. DW and I like free drinks as much as the next guy....but we are not about to stand in line, be crammed into a large theater/lounge...listen to boring speeches....just to get a lousy drink. But we do understand that some cruisers really enjoy these things and we salute them because they make it easier for us to get a seat at our favorite drinking holes and get great service (because so many others are waiting in line for that lousy drink).

Hank

P.S. Sorry to sound so cynical. We truly love to cruise and have been doing it for over forty years. We just do not understand waiting in line to meet the hired help and get lousy drinks.

We have been Elite for a very long time...but cannot even remember the last time we bothered to go to an Elite function. IMHO they are somewhat of a joke...and often quite boring. Years ago, Princess used have excellent hors' oeuvres but these have been cut-back. And saving a dollar on a drink is not as good as regular happy hours. When we were recently on the Regal we go the usual invite to the Elite/Platinum party (with the Captain) and ignored it. We happened to walk by the lounge when they were starting that party and passengers were lined up (at least 200 deep) waiting for their turn to look at the Captain and get a lousy drink. And then they would be able to sit in a packed lounge and listen to the usual Captain's speech. While this was going on (and folks were spending a half hour in line) we walked to one or our preferred bars, ordered our favorite drinks, and relaxed with friends.

Sorry if I sound crass, but having spent an awful lot of my life on cruise ships (stopped counting after the first thousand days) we just cannot get excited about these group activities. DW and I like free drinks as much as the next guy....but we are not about to stand in line, be crammed into a large theater/lounge...listen to boring speeches....just to get a lousy drink. But we do understand that some cruisers really enjoy these things and we salute them because they make it easier for us to get a seat at our favorite drinking holes and get great service (because so many others are waiting in line for that lousy drink).

Hank

P.S. Sorry to sound so cynical. We truly love to cruise and have been doing it for over forty years. We just do not understand waiting in line to meet the hired help and get lousy drinks.

I think you're talking about the Captain's Circle party, not the nightly lounge. The food hasn't changed much since they introduced it, and only rarely is the food line long.

We do a lot of short cruises, and they've eliminated the party, instead giving CC members a coupon for a free drink. Fine with me, although we do like dancing to the band before the boring speeches start.

With the old AIBP you got 40% off bottles of wine.

Several months ago it was changed to be called the Premium Beverage Package and the discount on bottles of wine was lowered to 25%.

Also the price per day to get the package was increased - I'm not positive about the price but I think it's about $65/pppd.

FYI, the official policy for wine is now 25% off any bottle of wine regardless of price. With the old package, it was 40% off any bottle priced under $100.

We are doing 54 days of Caribbean cruising in Dec and Jan. We will put our negative comments on the changes to the lounge on our end of cruise comments. If enough others do the same, hopefully the message will get through.

We took 2 cruises in late 2017 and definitely put very specific comments on the changes to the elite lounge. We want the Chairman of the Board and the Cosmo offered again, even if the price is the higher $6.50. Having said that, I did enjoy having a Floradora most evenings at the elite lounge. We just find this venue and snacks are a very relaxing way to start our evening.

Hank

On behalf of those several hundred of us who do enjoy Captain's Circle Parties we "Thank you" for allowing us to enjoy ourselves without what appears from your words to be a very sour disposition.

I hope your next 1,000 days of cruising turn out better.

I enjoy meeting the "hired help", especially at the Most Traveled Passenger luncheons and cocktail parties. Hopefully you refuse the invitations to those functions as well.

FYI, the official policy for wine is now 25% off any bottle of wine regardless of price. With the old package, it was 40% off any bottle priced under $100.

So lets put this in perspective. One can now pay a lot more for the beverage package to get a lower discount. If I now buy a bottle of $100 wine it would cost me $75 with the new "good deal" as opposed to $60 under the previous "bad deal." And to get this new "good deal" I have to pay more money! Yep, sounds like a winner to me :(. Oh and we should not forget that both drink and wine prices have been increased....which adds to new "wonderful benefit."

Hank

So lets put this in perspective. One can now pay a lot more for the beverage package to get a lower discount. If I now buy a bottle of $100 wine it would cost me $75 with the new "good deal" as opposed to $60 under the previous "bad deal." And to get this new "good deal" I have to pay more money! Yep, sounds like a winner to me :(. Oh and we should not forget that both drink and wine prices have been increased....which adds to new "wonderful benefit."

Hank

Good deal, bad deal depends on passenger vs. Princess side of the deal.

With over 1,000 cruise days, you really don't expect to be paying the same prices you did 60 years ago when you first started cruising, do you?

Just off the royal and found new lounge nothing great. The drinks were $6.50 and the food odd

I actually look forward to the evenings that feature Stilton Cheese and the steak tartare. On my recent full transit of the Panama Canal, Coral Princess featured grilled Mediterranean vegetables every evening, and the eggplant was delicious.

I actually look forward to the evenings that feature Stilton Cheese and the steak tartare. On my recent full transit of the Panama Canal, Coral Princess featured grilled Mediterranean vegetables every evening, and the eggplant was delicious.

The Royal has grilled vegetables every day at the buffet for lunch.

Sadly, sometimes they're over salted.:(

My husband and I are on the 60 day SA cruise on Island Princess 1/24/18 at Platinum level. Haven't cruised on Princess for a LONG time so it's very interesting to read of all the changes and learn of the "old/new" PE Lounge,of which I never knew.

In 2015 we sailed on HAL Amsterdam on the World Grand Adventure, a smaller ship (about 1200 passengers); an AMAZING cruise, staff, amenities, tons of special parties/events/galas/Super Bowl/Oscar Night/ BOGO HH daily with "real" great drinks and cocktails and good hot/cold appys passed around by staff. We do not buy the drink package; a 60 day cruise becomes our "home", and we absolutely don't consume that much alcohol on a normal basis! We bring some nice wines and champagne aboard, pay corkage fees for bottles in excess of the two allowed, buy more as needed, attend the parties/HH and buy occasional cocktails as desired...and have a great time!

Reading the commentary, it seems there's a lot of changes being made and dissention from passengers. It will be very interesting to experience a Princess 60 day cruise and see how it compares to our HAL cruise, since the much longer voyages are quite different from the "normal" 7 - 28 days. I'm hoping for the best, of course, but am somewhat leary based on CC comments.....but I'll take the optimistic "full glass" approach! Anyone have comments re similar LONG voyages? Thanks for input!

We definitely did not use the P/E/S Lounge as much on the Golden Princess as we had in prior years. First, the price is simply more profit than perk. I no longer drink alcoholic beverages or eat cheese (though my husband does and would have), but the concession we made for having a table for four for just us by a window in the dining room was that we were generally there no later than 5:30pm. There just isn’t a lot of need or desire for food before food.

As for the Captains Circle parties...I am not and have never been a big fan. I think the Gold and Ruby passengers come out ahead with their free drink coupons. But I will admit that one of the nice perks of being in the top three Most Traveled couples is that there is no more waiting in line. That’s nice!

Hank

Wow, I hope 2018 brings you some joy back into your life. You obviously have been doing the same thing for so long you are now bored and have stopped seeing sunshine. Sadly It’s obvious to the reader, that your 1000+ sailed days are important to you. If I may be so bold and suggest that on your next cruise, you board and pretend it’s your first, you may actually enjoy it and not be quite so cynical. I can say this to you because we have met briefly, although hubby and I made our polite excuses and left your company, we are Elite, but it’s not who we are, it’s a card which gives us free laundry.

We went to the Platinum/Elite/Suite cocktail event two nights out of nine last month on the Royal. (There wasn't an event on the second formal night due to the Captains Circle party.) I was not crazy about holding it in the Vista Lounge. Supposedly this was due to the large number of Platinum and Elite passengers on board. There were only a few people each time--nothing that would have overwhelmed Club 6, which is where it's sometimes held on the Royal. The setup did not allow much for mingling as we have on ships where it's held in Skywalkers. Plus there's no view.