Irons not allowed?

Some cruise lines do have laundromats and irons/ironing boards for guests use. There's about 6 decks on all the QUEEN'S ships on the Cunard line that has do-it-yourself laundry facilities. Different cruise-lines // different facilities.

Some cruise lines do have laundromats and irons/ironing boards for guests use. There's about 6 decks on all the QUEEN'S ships on the Cunard line that has do-it-yourself laundry facilities. Different cruise-lines // different facilities.

Correct, they are under the Carnival flag as well as Holland and I think Princess..........all have self serve coin op washers/dryers and free diy ironing.

This works for small areas (a shirt collar or isolated crease). Just make sure there isn't hair product residue on the straightener. I also bring fabrics that don't wrinkle easily or don't show the wrinkles too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Heck, I don't BUY clothes that need ironing! ;) :D

Thanks to those that replied, some useful info.

So no irons, but hair straighteners are ok?...weird choice as the straighteners are far more of a fire risk.

One more if I may - what adaptors do we need? US style?

Thanks!

Which ship again?

Thanks to those that replied, some useful info.

So no irons, but hair straighteners are ok?...weird choice as the straighteners are far more of a fire risk.

One more if I may - what adaptors do we need? US style?

Thanks!

All RC ships have at least two US 110V sockets. Most also include a single 220V Euro socket.

How many 7-day cruises does it take to become Platinum on NCL?

In the good old days youd get 1 point per day. You'd also get 1 point per day if you booked more than 9 months out. You'd also get 1 point per day if you booked a suite. So imagine the points I racked up on a suite on a 14 day! Platinum is 80 points. Gold is 55 and you get 50% off laundry which is still nice. I don't know why but I used to bring a ridiculous amount of clothes on a cruise. Free laundry got me to pack lighter. Honestly, I would have had to change outfits every 3 hours to wear them all. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who does that. (Did that he says hopefully)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

You'd have to iron it on the ship, why not save some of your precious vacation hours and do it before you leave? I always iron and fold everything then pack it nicely in the case. On our last trip the cases sat in our car for 48 hours and nothing was wrinkled when we unpacked. We also travel with a rolling garment case for things that can't be folded.

Hang clothes in bathroom while you take a hot shower. Smooth out wrinkles with your hand, if they haven't fallen out all by themselves.

I've tried all of these tricks. They don't work for me. I wish they did. Also tried wrinkle releaser....waste of space and money.

That sucks. How stupid is that? - my first ever cruise maybe my last...

I don't go that far, we just don't participate in the "formal" nights. Packing and then having to deal with paying for washing and ironing formal wear is just too much effort for a holiday.

Heck, I don't BUY clothes that need ironing! ;) :D

Ah - a kindred spirit. If it requires ironing, it is not in my wardrobe. Stubborn creases (that come with new items) - just spritz with some water and hit with the hairdryer. Out they come. Wrinkle Release works fine as well. DH needs custom made dress shirts (big neck, short arms and thin body). Once ordered some that were supposed to be wrinkle free - first washing and they came out a wrinkled mess. I gave him three choices - send them to a laundry, iron them himself or return them. Back they went.

I personally like the look of ironed clothes, so at home I either send them to the cleaners for pressing only or do it myself. I even iron my pillow cases because I like the way it makes them feel - much softer and smoother but I've never had to have anything pressed on a ship or even use the irons in the self service laundry when available.

Royal Caribbean ships don't have self-serve laundry or irons. Carnival Inc. ships, to include Princess, Carnival, Holland America, do have self-serve laundry and irons.

I'll be on the Anthem of the Seas next month and already have budgeted for laundry service. To me it's a complete money-grab by the cruise line, but I'm willing to pay it, however grudgingly. That or everyone gets to enjoy my stank. ;p

I know this is Royal you're talking about, but NCL will provide an iron and a board to you. They come and pick them up in about 1 - 2 hours after dropping them off. I did this on my cruise in May. I had plenty of time to iron all my things and the iron was cooled off by the time the steward came to pick it up.

Does Royal do this? Will they provide these items for a short period of time?

I know this is Royal you're talking about, but NCL will provide an iron and a board to you. They come and pick them up in about 1 - 2 hours after dropping them off. I did this on my cruise in May. I had plenty of time to iron all my things and the iron was cooled off by the time the steward came to pick it up.

Does Royal do this? Will they provide these items for a short period of time?

No Royal will not provide an iron to you at all.

Merion_Mom, how were those fires started? :o

fyree, in each of these two cases, the official report refused to name a source, because they couldn't be 100% sure.

The Peanut Gallery believes that the Star fire began when a passenger smoking on the balcony flicked a cigarette butt "overboard", but it was blown back and landed on another balcony where someone had laundry or towels on the chairs.

The scuttlebutt on the Grandeur fire was a crew member's cigarette or a small grill. The fire started in a crew area on the aft deck of the ship.

I realize that I am reporting unsubstantiated things. Take it as you will.

I knew as soon as the Star Princess and Grandeur were brought up, there would be questions. Neither of those fires was in any way started by a clothes iron, but that does not preclude the dangers of using irons onboard a ship. Heck, one of the lines had a fire last year (can't remember which) when a guest put a cloth or towel over a bedside lamp.

In regards to allowing hair straighteners and not clothes irons, if the cruise lines thought they could live through the hate mail from lady cruisers, they would ban all hair care appliances that produce heat. They are realistic enough to know that they wouldn't survive the storm, so they allow hair care appliances and ban all other heating appliances. And the real danger is not open hot surfaces like an iron, but the "auto-off" switches that "protect" devices like irons, steamers, coffee makers, etc. These have a long and not too glorious history of failing and causing fires when the plastic around the heating element melts and burns. The appliances provided by the cruise line, like hair dryers and coffee makers are routinely taken out of service for inspection and testing by the electricians.