Irons not allowed?

I knew as soon as the Star Princess and Grandeur were brought up, there would be questions. Neither of those fires was in any way started by a clothes iron, but that does not preclude the dangers of using irons onboard a ship. Heck, one of the lines had a fire last year (can't remember which) when a guest put a cloth or towel over a bedside lamp.

In regards to allowing hair straighteners and not clothes irons, if the cruise lines thought they could live through the hate mail from lady cruisers, they would ban all hair care appliances that produce heat. They are realistic enough to know that they wouldn't survive the storm, so they allow hair care appliances and ban all other heating appliances. And the real danger is not open hot surfaces like an iron, but the "auto-off" switches that "protect" devices like irons, steamers, coffee makers, etc. These have a long and not too glorious history of failing and causing fires when the plastic around the heating element melts and burns. The appliances provided by the cruise line, like hair dryers and coffee makers are routinely taken out of service for inspection and testing by the electricians.

Thank you for your always-expert insights. :)

I've managed to get an iron onto a cruise ship before and to use it for its intended function.

So long as you are present when operating the iron and remember to remove the power then there is no greater fire risk than is caused by any other device; and certainly not if compared to other items that get hot that you are allowed to take onboard.

The reality here is that this is about revenue generation with the proof point being there are no guest laundries but there are options to pay very generously for the same to be done for you.

Normally I just take 20 shirts with me of a 14 day cruise and two pairs of jeans - this is the easy option that requires no effort. Most commonly we sail Princess and I choose a room not too far from the laundry; on RCL I just tell myself that I've saved so much on the room that perhaps paying for things I see no value in paying others to do is not the end of the world.

That sucks. How stupid is that? - my first ever cruise maybe my last...

I guess you would prefer to be on a ship in the middle of the ocean, that is ON FIRE due to miss use of an iron.

Yeap, that makes sense.

Pack properly (nicely folded or rolled), and use wrinkle release or hang in bathroom during a steamy shower and things will be fine enough for a cruise.

And think about what you pack, and maybe pick clothes that either don't wrinkle badly, or look OK with some wrinkles.

I've managed to get an iron onto a cruise ship before and to use it for its intended function.

So long as you are present when operating the iron and remember to remove the power then there is no greater fire risk than is caused by any other device; and certainly not if compared to other items that get hot that you are allowed to take onboard.

The reality here is that this is about revenue generation with the proof point being there are no guest laundries but there are options to pay very generously for the same to be done for you.

Normally I just take 20 shirts with me of a 14 day cruise and two pairs of jeans - this is the easy option that requires no effort. Most commonly we sail Princess and I choose a room not too far from the laundry; on RCL I just tell myself that I've saved so much on the room that perhaps paying for things I see no value in paying others to do is not the end of the world.

I sincerely hope the next time you cruise you are caught and your iron is confiscated!!

The rules are there for a reason!!!!

Ah - a kindred spirit. If it requires ironing, it is not in my wardrobe. Stubborn creases (that come with new items) - just spritz with some water and hit with the hairdryer. Out they come. Wrinkle Release works fine as well. DH needs custom made dress shirts (big neck, short arms and thin body). Once ordered some that were supposed to be wrinkle free - first washing and they came out a wrinkled mess. I gave him three choices - send them to a laundry, iron them himself or return them. Back they went.

I get my dress shirts custom tailored from these guys:

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

You have to ask, but they have a silk-cotton blend that works GREAT for traveling. Limited to white, light blue, and a taupe like colors.

Actually cheaper than ready made quality dress shirts.

I have left them packed in an Eagle Creek Pack-It - https://www.ebags.com/product/eagle-creek/pack-it-garment-folder-medium/271295?productid=10543036

for several months and they are not perfect, but wearable.

The Medium Eagle Creek is a good size for shirts, the Large for suits. They have a small one, that I use for a spare shirt and underwear in my carry on.

So think of all the idiots you have seen or met on cruises, and will you really put you life in their hands?

Yes, what you say is true, and maybe you can do that every time, but history has taught us that not everyone can or will do so.

http://www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/2782.asp

Once I left an iron on top of my shirt when I went to a party while my parents were on vacation, and when I got back my whole kitchen, bedroom, and dining room were burned down.

Or maybe a defective iron:

https://www.theexpertinstitute.com/case-studies/design-defect-allegedly-causes-clothing-iron-to-burst-into-flames/

For those of you taking wrinkle release in your luggage - here is a tip I found on Cruise Critic. It really works well.

Bring a couple of fabric softener dryer sheets and an empty spray bottle in your luggage. Once on ship add a dryer sheet to the spray bottle and fill with water. Bingo- instant wrinkle release. No need to carry a heavy liquid bottle when you travel.

For those of you taking wrinkle release in your luggage - here is a tip I found on Cruise Critic. It really works well.

Bring a couple of fabric softener dryer sheets and an empty spray bottle in your luggage. Once on ship add a dryer sheet to the spray bottle and fill with water. Bingo- instant wrinkle release. No need to carry a heavy liquid bottle when you travel.

Great tip, haven't seen that one before.

Thanks to those that replied, some useful info.

So no irons, but hair straighteners are ok?...weird choice as the straighteners are far more of a fire risk.

One more if I may - what adaptors do we need? US style?

Thanks!

And just to ease your mind a bit... after many cruises, I don't ever remember looking at someone and thinking their clothes were wrinkled...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No cruise line allows guest to bring irons as they are a fire hazard. Choose clothes that don't wrinkle easily and definitely pick up some Downy Wrinkle Release. I travel with linen shirts to hot climates and have them professionally pressed, folded, and wrapped at the dry cleaner. People on a cruise are relaxed and I have never encountered any fashion police. If a couple of wrinkles are going to spoil your vacation, perhaps this will be your last cruise.

Watched a video today where a girl said that Security had scanned her bags and confiscated her travel iron - is this normal?!!

If they do, do they supply an iron in your cabin to use or are you just expected to walk about looking like your clothes just jumped out the ironing basket?

First cruise on Voyager in 2 weeks time so am now getting down to the nitty gritty!

In addition to the other suggestions, you can hang your outfit in the bathroom while you shower. The wrinkles will come out.

Have a wonderful cruise - - no one else has an iron with them, either.:)

If not being able to iron your clothes on board is all it takes for it to be your last cruise-cruising may not be for you. It's vacation , we pack formal dresses and tuxes and NO iron in 15 trip not a single time have we had an issue with just spraying a bit of Wrinkle release if needed- that's after everything being packed for two weeks, a 6 hour flight and over night in a hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, hair straighteners and curling irons and blow dryers of all shapes and sizes are allowed on all cruises. I roll my clothes to pack them and then keep the worn ones hung in the closet in case I need to re-wear. Your room steward can supply you with extra hangers. Quite honestly, if you want to worry about something on your first cruise, worry about sea sickness or bringing comfortable enough shoes to walk miles in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Sunday we departed Allure, they had a table setup just off the ship of confiscated items that could be given back to the guest. Saw many irons & other items, but there was an electric griddle!!! I had to stop & ask the lady if someone really tried to bring that on & she said yes!!!

I believe I saw that too!!! And a full size electric tea pot

I sincerely hope the next time you cruise you are caught and your iron is confiscated!!

The rules are there for a reason!!!!

You're making an assumption that isn't reasonable based upon what I wrote.

Anyway, the main reason for this "rule" has nothing to do with the fire hazard. Those that are concerned about that risk possibly need to reflect on the enormously greater risk of that event that flows from the other devices allowed on board, and let's not forget the small but potentially immediately lethal fires that every smoker delights in starting and then usually leaves burning unattended.

When I disembarked Allure there was a table at the end of the gangway with all the irons and full size coffee and tea pots they had confiscated from passengers.. I just bring a little travel steamer works great

Travel steamers, just like any item that has a heating element, other than hair care appliances, are not allowed. Yes, there is no open hot metal surface, and it has an auto-off switch, but as I noted in post #52, failure of the switch and resulting fire is not uncommon.