Drop in Cruise Demand?

bala1130

I would think demand over the next few months from some Florida residents might be lower as they take care of personal matters and schedule repairs. Don't know what percentage of Florida bookings are after final payment. I suspect it is somewhat higher than other states. May be a demographic the cruiselines may not be able to count on in the near term - resulting in lower fares.

I have read some lines are considering sailing not full vs cutting fares below a fixed discount.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Forums mobile app

It will be cheap to cruise next September that's for sure. I know from now on from August 1 to Oct 15 we will never book again. Got switched to a garbage western 7 day on RCCL after planning months for our Eastern Caribbean vacation. Now we are stuck standing in lines on the ship to find excursions. Never again!

It will be cheap to cruise next September that's for sure. I know from now on from August 1 to Oct 15 we will never book again. Got switched to a garbage western 7 day on RCCL after planning months for our Eastern Caribbean vacation. Now we are stuck standing in lines on the ship to find excursions. Never again!

You wish it would be cheap. You booked during hurricane season but now want to complain. No cruise I've ever taken in 38 was a "garbage cruise" and you picked it... didn't get switched. I'll take your place.

You wish it would be cheap. You booked during hurricane season but now want to complain. No cruise I've ever taken in 38 was a "garbage cruise" and you picked it... didn't get switched. I'll take your place.

In my opinion the 2 Mexican ports and Nassau are low end crappy ports of call. That's the reason we never book them. They are being forced on us by RCLL due to the hurricane. We had great Eastern ones picked out. And I'm complaining, as are many others because St. Kitts is good to go as is Labadee but because we cannot pull in for our meager 7.5hr San Juan port of call they switched everything on us. And many are pissed. We were hoping to just add a sea day in lieu of San Juan.

I don't know about everyone else but I have lost a lot of interest in cruising.

Not weather related, but it has become mundane.

With all the "rules, restrictions, extra fees, inflated costs, ect and all the things that have been taken away, over the years, It is starting to lose appeal..

I have done most of the ports and they are all the same, have done a lot of the ships and I don't really like to repeat ships if I have done them already.

This Thanksgiving will be the first one in 9 years we will not be on a ship(going to NYC instead).

After next Spring Break I will have nothing else planned and have not been looking. I usually have 3 trips booked at any given time.

My kids are getting old enough that we can do many other things now........

With all the "rules, restrictions, extra fees, inflated costs, ect and all the things that have been taken away, over the years, It is starting to lose appeal..

I have done most of the ports and they are all the same, have done a lot of the ships and I don't really like to repeat ships if I have done them already.

This Thanksgiving will be the first one in 9 years we will not be on a ship(going to NYC instead).

After next Spring Break I will have nothing else planned and have not been looking.

Let us know what you find for $549 / week that includes all your food, entertainment and all (if you are loyal to Royal and make D+) you should drink included. I guess I just don't get bored so easily. Love doing all ships again and again and seeing what is new. Repeating ports? Who needs to get off the ship. Sorry to see you leave. We will miss you!

In my opinion the 2 Mexican ports and Nassau are low end crappy ports of call. That's the reason we never book them. They are being forced on us by RCLL due to the hurricane. We had great Eastern ones picked out. And I'm complaining, as are many others because St. Kitts is good to go as is Labadee but because we cannot pull in for our meager 7.5hr San Juan port of call they switched everything on us. And many are pissed. We were hoping to just add a sea day in lieu of San Juan.

Humanitarian stop and bringing over 500 Puerto Ricans home. I think you had 2 years to rebook. You might feel like you were forced but you had options. ROYAL didn't cause the hurricane.

I wonder how long until the cruise line change the current itinerary to what it will be in oct-nov-dec for cruises still on sale. I understand this is a logistical nightmare for them and it takes time to coordinate all the changes. I would think it would be in there best interest to do so asap. People are less likely to book a itinerary that says St Maarten or other ports closed knowing they are not going there. In addition the seasoned cruiser knows it's cheaper to book west vs east and will not pay east prices for what will most likely be west cruise. If the cruise lines continue to change ports 2-3 weeks out vs change them out more aggressively the interest will drop as well as the prices.

On another side note when do RC and Carnival release there earnings for the months of August and Sept? Could be very interesting.

There will be some decline in demand but it will bounce back. It always does. As bad as this hurricane season has been, it's still not nearly as bad as the 2005 season was (when they ran out of hurricane names and had to start using the Greek alphabet and Carnival committed three ships for months to Katrina relief efforts ). The industry recovered from that horrendous hurricane season to record levels. As much devastation as we are seeing in the news today, these islands will bounce back, some sooner than others. Before you know it, the 2017 hurricane season will be a distant memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let us know what you find for $549 / week that includes all your food, entertainment and all (if you are loyal to Royal and make D+) you should drink included. I guess I just don't get bored so easily. Love doing all ships again and again and seeing what is new. Repeating ports? Who needs to get off the ship. Sorry to see you leave. We will miss you!

Cheap doesn't make it enjoyable. We used to cruise because we liked the journey as well as the ports. Now the journey is a negative, due to the cutbacks and nickel and dimeing, and the ports, at least in the Caribbean, has little appeal so we too have gone back to land vacations.

After next Spring Break I will have nothing else planned and have not been looking. I usually have 3 trips booked at any given time.

Cheap doesn't make it enjoyable. We used to cruise because we liked the journey as well as the ports. Now the journey is a negative, due to the cutbacks and nickel and dimeing, and the ports, at least in the Caribbean, has little appeal so we too have gone back to land vacations.

I aspire to be that jaded cruiser who has been on so many cruises the ports are boring, the ships are mundane, and I'm tired of eating the same fare in the MDR every cruise. What a journey it will be to get to that point!

I've only been on a few cruises and have loved them. But for me it is equal parts ship and ports. We were supposed to go to San Juan and St Maarten on MSC in Jan but had already moved it to June a few weeks ago. Now I'm not so sure I don't want to can it all and do another road trip. All these threads across so many boards with people constantly reminding us that they have the right to change ports whenever just leaves me wondering how much I want to risk that. We've had some amazing ports (Roatan, Grand Cayman) and some awful ones (Cozumel and Jamaica). So not I'm very careful when considering ports.

Our MSC cruise is only SXM and San Juan and Nassau. It was a great price point, but will we really be pleased????

It's not just the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well here is an idea. Say you need to rebuild you could take cruises instead of staying in motels and check on the progress of your remodle. You could use the money for accomodations for cruising. At times you book a hotel near your home to check up on the progress. So 7 nights cruise 3 days home 1 B2B 7 days home repeat.

While I agree cheap is not better I would try Trans Atlantic cruises and start gour land vacation in Europe then take Cunard back to NY.

I have been doing these Trans Atlantics and then focus on the end city like one week in Barcelona,2 1 weeks in Rome,4"nights in Sao Paulo ,5 nights Athens, 4 nights New Orleans etc. For my 2018 April Cruise I booked 1 night in Tampa,4 nights in Amsterdam and 4 nights in Rejikavik.

Its the best of both worlds.