Drop in Cruise Demand?

bala1130

They have already dropped. Rhapsody for $349 pp in Nov and Dec, Allure for $399 in Nov are definitely price drops.

I have seen big drops for Oct / Nov this year for Allure but prices for Aug/Sept next year are still very high IMO.

Cheap doesn't make it enjoyable. We used to cruise because we liked the journey as well as the ports. Now the journey is a negative, due to the cutbacks and nickel and dimeing, and the ports, at least in the Caribbean, has little appeal so we too have gone back to land vacations.

Unfortunately it's never cheap if your a UK cruiser, I have two booked in early 2019 and for me cruising is just another form of holiday I enjoy. I love travelling and want to visit as many places as I can using all modes to help fulfil my dreams.

Some of my land vacations I would never have done had I not stopped there first on a cruise.

Like most things in life if you do it often enough it can become mundane and boring. I still get a buzz from cruising despite all the changes over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As of right now, I have 4 cruises booked between Dec, 2017 and March,2019 and have no intention of cancelling anything. These are in the Carib, and I don't care where we go. I hope some of the Eastern are open by next December, so I can contribute to their economy.

I don't know about everyone else but I have lost a lot of interest in cruising.

Not weather related, but it has become mundane.

With all the "rules, restrictions, extra fees, inflated costs, ect and all the things that have been taken away, over the years, It is starting to lose appeal..

I have done most of the ports and they are all the same, have done a lot of the ships and I don't really like to repeat ships if I have done them already.

This Thanksgiving will be the first one in 9 years we will not be on a ship(going to NYC instead).

After next Spring Break I will have nothing else planned and have not been looking. I usually have 3 trips booked at any given time.

My kids are getting old enough that we can do many other things now........

Get out of the Caribbean and try Alaska!

Jimbo:)

Amen Bra....Alaska is our favorite itinerary. Even though we are water babies. It is exquisite! Try it you'll like it.

Even though we have Anthem booked and the departure port is only an hour from our house, I really think by March 2019 we will have changed our minds and be heading back to Alaska in June of 2019

Jimbo

I aspire to be that jaded cruiser who has been on so many cruises the ports are boring, the ships are mundane, and I'm tired of eating the same fare in the MDR every cruise. What a journey it will be to get to that point!

Agreed!

I have noticed a few drops in price. Adventure in early December looks like a bargain and SJ should be ok by then for getting into and out of.

I don't think that cruise ships will get hit too bad by these events. No ship was caught in the storm...delays here and there and some extensions to a few vacations but that's the same as if you had a land vacation.

Basically they all seem to handle the events pretty well and the compensation was more than reasonable for those displaced based on the contracts we sign that most people should feel safe booking again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have not noticed many price decreases (or increased stateroom availability due to cancellations) for cruises for the remainder of 2017 to the Caribbean. In fact, many of them have raised the cruise prices during the past month.

It's really going to depend on the status of the islands. You won't see a wild demand change immediately because so many are past or at final payment through holiday season 2017. Status of ports and supporting infrastructure will determine if there is demand.

I suspect we'll see deals, especially as cruises go to final payment with uncertainty about where they are going. I suspect that some 7 day cruises will have two ports of call where they were supposed to have three due to the musical chairs the Caribbean will be this winter if St. Thomas and St. Maarten don't come back online. I have a short "Diamond Plus Qualification cruise" I'm contemplating ... I kind of like Cozumel, by the way and as for Jamaica as long as you make it clear you are not a buyer for what they are selling, it's not a bad place to visit.

Incidentally, I think RCCI acted intelligently in providing ample compensation. Goodwill.

Edited by Wehwalt

If pricing start dropping I'm cruising more!

Me as well. I love the ports of call after you been to a few each time, sometimes I just enjoy being on the ship. I do like getting off each port though

A few thoughts:

This is a place for folks who love cruising, so I'd expect most to say it won't effect them, but the general public might be quite a different story.

There are thousands of people who have been directly affected by the Hurricanes. Cancelled trips have to be taken within a year, so there will be thousands of cabins occupied that the cruise lines won't be able to sell, which in turn will mean less availability for everyone else. Reduced availability doesn't equal reduced prices. In fact, it means the opposite.

People have pretty short memories. I suspect that the bookings will be down next year because so many folks we affected this year and those folks will have told all their friends and family how well or badly the cruise industry treated them. Once those memories fade, the industry should bounce back.

Islands that took the brunt of the hurricanes, will rebuild as quickly as possible to get the cruisers money flowing again. A lot of these places will likely be even better or at least newer than they were before, which will attract some folks. The beaches will probably be the last things to get back to normal, but that still leaves the rest of the things that are on all the Caribbean port stops... A bus trip, a shopping excursion, a zip line and a boat/snorkeling trip.

It's really going to depend on the status of the islands. You won't see a wild demand change immediately because so many are past or at final payment through holiday season 2017. Status of ports and supporting infrastructure will determine if there is demand.

Yep. And some of us cruise to be on the ship. We no longer even look at ports. (Might change if we get an MSC or a European) We never got off the ship on this AOS cruise. This is our 1st bonus day. Yea!

I booked Feb 2019 the day they came out. The price continues to go up, up, & up.

Same for us January 2019. We got a steal the day the itineraries were released! Haven't seen them anywhere close to that price since the day we booked. We'll definitely be doing the same for January of 2020 when they are released in the spring! ;p

I suspect we'll see deals, especially as cruises go to final payment with uncertainty about where they are going. I suspect that some 7 day cruises will have two ports of call where they were supposed to have three due to the musical chairs the Caribbean will be this winter if St. Thomas and St. Maarten don't come back online......I think RCCI acted intelligently in providing ample compensation. Goodwill.

Agree. There will be much uncertainty until the Eastern Caribbean ports open.