Has Happy Hour been binned?

Burgmeister

Off topic, I loved the word binned and had no clue what it meant. My typo reading mind thought you meant banned so I just interjected banned for binned.

Now that I know I like it and it makes perfect sense. My grandmother used to call the trash can a trash bin.

Thank you teaching me something new. Knowledge is power

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, now we won't send you to the 'sin bin.' lol.;p

Off topic, I loved the word binned and had no clue what it meant. My typo reading mind thought you meant banned so I just interjected banned for binned.

Now that I know I like it and it makes perfect sense. My grandmother used to call the trash can a trash bin.

Thank you teaching me something new. Knowledge is power

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just thought it was a typo!! I love learning new words and phrases from our English-speaking friends overseas

I just thought it was a typo!! I love learning new words and phrases from our English-speaking friends overseas

That's what we like to hear !! Thank you for acknowledging the Brit and the Aussie 'vernacular.'

BTW, stayed at your Huntington Beach - Orange County for a few days, precruise last year. Loved it.:p

So its all rumors as usual.

Thanks for posting.

There have been multiple reports from multiple sailings on CB stating that the BOGO wasn't offered on that ship. I certainly hope they don't keep it that way. I have to wonder who makes a decision of that sort. The captain perhaps? The CD? It's pretty odd that it's not being offered on that specific ship but, since various unrelated posts have stated that to be the case, I'm inclined to believe that it is true. It really doesn't make sense though and I have to wonder what the rationale behind the decision could be.

There have been multiple reports from multiple sailings on CB stating that the BOGO wasn't offered on that ship. I certainly hope they don't keep it that way. I have to wonder who makes a decision of that sort. The captain perhaps? The CD? It's pretty odd that it's not being offered on that specific ship but, since various unrelated posts have stated that to be the case, I'm inclined to believe that it is true. It really doesn't make sense though and I have to wonder what the rationale behind the decision could be.

I reckon it would be the individual Ship Food and Beverage Manager who makes that decision re BOGO, dependent on whether or not Alcohol sales targets are being achieved from Bars, Restaurants etc. Perhaps with guidance from the 'bean counters' at Princess HQ, San Clarita, California.:rolleyes: Revenue from alcohol sales or alcohol promotions like BOGO would have nothing to do with the Captain or Cruise Director.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Further to those that enjoy learning new words, perhaps I will continue to use them in future postings (along with a UK-US translation!)

Hopefully the HH offer will still be available for our cruise next year on the Sapphire.

For clarification a receptacle for waste is known in the UK as a "bin" - amongst other things - hence the term "binned" meaning discarded.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Further to those that enjoy learning new words, perhaps I will continue to use them in future postings (along with a UK-US translation!)

Hopefully the HH offer will still be available for our cruise next year on the Sapphire.

For clarification a receptacle for waste is known in the UK as a "bin" - amongst other things - hence the term "binned" meaning discarded.

Thanks for the background! We love learning avout idioms and phrases from other countries, and cruising is a great way to do that. I also notice the use of amongst and whilst by our friends from the UK? We just say among and while.

Burgmeister - thank you for posting this thread. I hope BOGO is available on our Regal trip next month, but I will budget extra just in case. I had no problem deducing what "binned" means, but appreciate the explanation.

I'm curious: Does the language barrier tend to work both ways or is it mostly we Americans who can't understand English? Even in America we have divisions of certain words - pop vs soda comes to mind in my region. I'm familiar with lift/elevator, torch/flashlight, and boot/car trunk (and now realize that bin is British). Are there other terms - especially cruise related - that would be helpful to know both versions?

We get so much US TV over here that we tend to know what most American terms mean - even if we don't widely use them.

I have to say though that that there are 2 that still catch me out even after many visits to the US.

1. The US use of the word Chips (We refer to them as crisps - chips are fat french fries)

2. Biscuits (Biscuits, to us, are what you would call cookies).

We get so much US TV over here that we tend to know what most American terms mean - even if we don't widely use them.

I have to say though that that there are 2 that still catch me out even after many visits to the US.

1. The US use of the word Chips (We refer to them as crisps - chips are fat french fries)

Chips - Growing up there was a restaurant chain called Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips. As a little kid I couldn't understand why they kept giving me fries instead of potato chips:D

Biscuits - I forgot about this one too, but was aware of it (romance novels and renaissance festivals;))

We have two types of muffins here. The first is almost like a cupcake version of a quick bread - sort of a cousin to a scone but not really - and the second are English muffins. English muffins are often used like toast and for breakfast sandwiches. Are they called something else in Britain?

We also have 2 types of muffin. I believe that the cup-cake style ones are probably an import from the US (a very welcome import in my opinion) and the others are similar to those that you refer to as English Muffins.

Confusingly, we tend to call both "muffins". To be honest, I'm 51 and have never eaten an "English" muffin.

We also have 2 types of muffin. I believe that the cup-cake style ones are probably an import from the US (a very welcome import in my opinion) and the others are similar to those that you refer to as English Muffins.

Confusingly, we tend to call both "muffins". To be honest, I'm 51 and have never eaten an "English" muffin.

The closest thing to an English Muffin is a Crumpet. Not the same but kind of similar which is likely how the US item got its name. It's like the us "London Broil". It's not really a cut of meat although it's sold as one. it's just a large and thick Sirloin. The original meaning was the cooking method but, like so many things in the US, some marketing person changed the meaning. (It drives me nuts...)

Actually, to me chips are potato chips that come in a bag, taste delicsious, and over time, give you heart disease.:) French fries are called....French fries, or just fries.

The closest thing to an English Muffin is a Crumpet. Not the same but kind of similar which is likely how the US item got its name. It's like the us "London Broil". It's not really a cut of meat although it's sold as one. it's just a large and thick Sirloin. The original meaning was the cooking method but, like so many things in the US, some marketing person changed the meaning. (It drives me nuts...)

Nah, a crumpet is different to a muffin. See here https://groceries.asda.com/aisle/bakery/crumpets-muffins-pancakes/_/103297

I think this thread has gone, ever-so-slightly OT!

Actually, to me chips are potato chips that come in a bag, taste delicsious, and over time, give you heart disease.:) French fries are called....French fries, or just fries.

Sure but... To you a torch likely involves fire rather than being a flashlight. The first floor is likely the ground floor to you but to much of the world it's the floor above the ground floor. Lift/elevator, boot/trunk, lorry/truck, bum bag/xxxxx pack, trolly/shopping cart, etc. Many different words for the same things.

We don't watch TV much at all but do watch some UK stuff on Netflix. We don't have trouble with the "regular" terms but deciphering what someone from Scotland has just said sometimes requires a pause and playback due to differences in terms and pronunciation. :D

Edited by Thrak

but deciphering what someone from Scotland has just said sometimes requires a pause and playback due to differences in terms and pronunciation. :D

That happens to those of us south of Hadrian's Wall too!

I spent 10 years in Scotland so I'm not too bad at translating Scottish to English, although I do struggle sometimes with a really broad Weegie (Glaswegian) accent.

Nah, a crumpet is different to a muffin. See here https://groceries.asda.com/aisle/bakery/crumpets-muffins-pancakes/_/103297

I think this thread has gone, ever-so-slightly OT!

Mr. Burgmeister & Mr. Thrak,

Can either one of you please pick me up one 4pk special buttermilk muffins please. The next time your at SADA Groceries. :D :D

Thank you,

The Captain of The Rowboat

Tony

Mr. Burgmeister & Mr. Thrak,

Can either one of you please pick me up one 4pk special buttermilk muffins please. The next time your at SADA Groceries. :D :D

Thank you,

The Captain of The Rowboat

Tony

Is that the American spelling of ASDA? :D

BTW, ASDA is owned by your very own Wal-Mart