Has Happy Hour been binned?

Burgmeister

Is that the American spelling of ASDA? :D

BTW, ASDA is owned by your very own Wal-Mart

Sorry my mistake ASDA, Wal-Mart Please don’t forget to get me the muffins :D:D:D.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

Nah, a crumpet is different to a muffin. See here https://groceries.asda.com/aisle/bakery/crumpets-muffins-pancakes/_/103297

I think this thread has gone, ever-so-slightly OT!

OK. Time to get back on topic before we get in trouble with the powers that be. One last note though, I have eaten both English Muffins and Crumpets and I stand by my statement that the closest comparison to the EM is the Crumpet. Definitely not the same but the only possible comparison.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread regarding the BOGO or Happy Hour. I for one absolutely love the BOGO and would hate to see it vanish. It helps us to stretch our limited dollars when cruising. If it goes away I will consider that to be a bad thing but I won't stop cruising because of the fact it has vanished. I will just hope it stays in place until such time as I cruise without the Sip and Sail (which is included on all of our upcoming cruises).

That happens to those of us south of Hadrian's Wall too!

I spent 10 years in Scotland so I'm not too bad at translating Scottish to English, although I do struggle sometimes with a really broad Weegie (Glaswegian) accent.

Behave!

Well done on your use if Doric!

Try a true Geordie accent or a southern drawl for an indecipherable accent.

As BC says we Scots are quite smart, we can understand what anyone speaking English says but the ROTW?? - try listening and not just hearing :rolleyes:

BTW English and Scottish crumpets are completely different.

Annie :(

I am staying off subject.....;)

Jumper, Surgery & Chemist are 3 words, that stick with me as having totally different meanings.

Jumper is a sweater...but is a "dress" in the states.

And here in the states we don't go to the Surgery or Chemist(even though now I know drugstore is becoming more common) we go to the Doctor's office and a Pharmacy.

Edited by land lover

We get so much US TV over here that we tend to know what most American terms mean - even if we don't widely use them.

I have to say though that that there are 2 that still catch me out even after many visits to the US.

1. The US use of the word Chips (We refer to them as crisps - chips are fat french fries)

2. Biscuits (Biscuits, to us, are what you would call cookies).

In Australia...Crisps also called chips. Confusing but if you walk into a fish and chip shop and ask for chips you will get hot fried chips. In McDonalds, Burger King etc, chips are French Fries.

Older Aussie call Biscuits, biscuits, but the younger generation influenced by American TV, call them 'cookies.'

We don't call all fizzy soft drinks soda. Soda is soda water, like you have with your scotch.

Caramel is Caramel, not Carmel.

Capsicum is capsicum, not peppers. Peppers are chillis to most.:halo:

Chemists are Chemists not drug stores. But sometimes called pharmacy.

Petrol is petrol or fuel, but not gas. Gas is what comes out of your cooking stove.

There endeth today's lesson.

In Australia...Crisps also called chips. Confusing but if you walk into a fish and chip shop and ask for chips you will get hot fried chips. In McDonalds, Burger King etc, chips are French Fries.

Older Aussie call Biscuits, biscuits, but the younger generation influenced by American TV, call them 'cookies.'

We don't call all fizzy soft drinks soda. Soda is soda water, like you have with your scotch.

Caramel is Caramel, not Carmel.

Capsicum is capsicum, not peppers. Peppers are chillis to most.:halo:

Chemists are Chemists not drug stores. But sometimes called pharmacy.

Petrol is petrol or fuel, but not gas. Gas is what comes out of your cooking stove.

There endeth today's lesson.

And here is an interesting thing about soft drinks, soda and soda pop...term depends are where you are from in the U.S. and sometimes even in a state. For example.....Native to So. CA it has always been soft drink.

BTW love those Tim tam biscuits or cookies.....

Edited by land lover

Burgmeister - thank you for posting this thread. I hope BOGO is available on our Regal trip next month, but I will budget extra just in case. I had no problem deducing what "binned" means, but appreciate the explanation.

I'm curious: Does the language barrier tend to work both ways or is it mostly we Americans who can't understand English? Even in America we have divisions of certain words - pop vs soda comes to mind in my region. I'm familiar with lift/elevator, torch/flashlight, and boot/car trunk (and now realize that bin is British). Are there other terms - especially cruise related - that would be helpful to know both versions?

Yes, it works both ways. yesterday I saw on another post that someone had suggested to take a 'sharpie' to mark things. To us it might sound like something that might be dangerous so I did what I usually do and asked our old friend 'Mr Google" . A 'sharpie' ended up being a black marker pen. Another was a spray often recommended by cruisers to take creases out of clothing. We don't have the brand here, but I found a subsititute in the laundry section at Coles (a supermarket in Australia) in a little spray bottle. As for food, for us a biscuit is your cookies, but your biscuits are like warm scones often served with fried chicken. Yum. I found this out in of all places at a KFC in Indonesia.

Edited by reedy8
spelling error

And here is an interesting thing about soft drinks, soda and soda pop...term depends are where you are from in the U.S. and sometimes even in a state. For example.....Native to So. CA it has always been soft drink.

BTW love those Tim tam biscuits or cookies.....

Or...you could be in the South (US) where everything is a Coke. Doesn't matter if it's Sprite, Dr. Pepper etc, it's a Coke! :D And Pepsi? No thanks! ;p

The first floor is likely the ground floor to you but to much of the world it's the floor above the ground floor.

Surely not - to a non-Brit the First Floor is what Brits call Ground Floor.

Oh and do you know it was the Belgians who developed 'Fries' not the French !

Surely not - to a non-Brit the First Floor is what Brits call Ground Floor.

OK guys this is the only floor you have to worry about. It’s the one under the grass:eek:.

I call it the Concrete Condo Floor. Stay away as long as you can!!

Don’t take any chances keep off the grass :D

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Or...you could be in the South (US) where everything is a Coke. Doesn't matter if it's Sprite, Dr. Pepper etc, it's a Coke! :D And Pepsi? No thanks! ;p

In South Carolina it's Pepsi ("born in the Carolinas"). Y'all can keep that Coke (aka "dope" for some of the old-timers) down in Jawja! And the generic is simply "soft drink"; of many varieties.