Could this be a 'new' ship for Oceania?

marylizcat

Oceania would be better served with a new build than another R ship, IMHO. They have 4 of them now and they ARE nearing 20 years old. Personally, I find the O ships a bit too large (but do like the dining options) - maybe something around Viking size (approx 900) at the most. Regent Explorer is 750 and a drop-dead gorgeous ship! We'll see what happens -- all the luxury lines (except Crystal) have come out with new ships, with more on the horizon. Oceania has to step up to the plate (Azamara, too).

Well, my desire of a new build did not come to pass. But at least they will get a much-needed 3rd ship. In the refurb, I sincerely hope they remodel deck 8 to create the mini-suites like Journey and Quest have -- preferably for all of deck 8, like Oceania has.

We'll be on the Quest in April, so will get first-hand info then. Can't wait!

Well, my desire of a new build did not come to pass. But at least they will get a much-needed 3rd ship. In the refurb, I sincerely hope they remodel deck 8 to create the mini-suites like Journey and Quest have -- preferably for all of deck 8, like Oceania has.

We'll be on the Quest in April, so will get first-hand info then. Can't wait!

Oops - this is the Oceania thread!! Should have posted this to an Azamara thread!

For those unsatisfied with the current O fleet it would be beneficial to state what is missing from the current fleet that should be incorporated in a new design. For those that feel the R class ships are old (their designed service life is 40 years) and aren't up to par what do they lack? Same comments should be made regarding the O class. What do they lack that justifies a new design?

For what it's worth I feel the R ships that O operates are as near to perfection that is possible.

I have to say that we agree with you. We love the "R"ships. They have been beautifully maintained and I don't find them "antique" at all. For us, they are very comfortable.

For those who think they are antique, well, you have the right to your opinion, of course. As do we who enjoy the "R" ships. I speak as someone who likes both the "R" and "O" ships for different reasons.

Mura

I would agree with happy cruiser, the bathrooms are tiny, but for us the decor is dated although spotless and well kept. Also the lack of Red Ginger. If the decor were more aligned with the O ships and there was Red Ginger I would put up with the shower curtain!

I would guess the main issue with the R ships is the bathrooms in the non suite cabins. Fine for folks used to smaller cabins not so much for others.

This, plus I agree about no Red Ginger, except on Serena. Also there are no Oceania Suites. I feel any new build should have an expanded number of these, as they are frequently waitlisted, while the Vistas are available.

I really enjoy the 4 spec. dine. on the O class. Also having a tub is a luxury for me. R class reg. balcony cabins have a very small bathroom and small shower only. I will stick to O class. The only thing that AZ offers me is my Elite Plus benefits, which I do miss when on O.

Curious what do you get ??

Not really as much as someone on Oceania that is 15 cruises or more. You get quite a bit of laundry though. I'm Elite on Celebrity and much prefer the Oceania Club program, although any free stuff is good if you're going to be cruising anyway.

Here's the link to their benefits. https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

We are Elite Plus on Celebrity which is Discover Plus on AZ. The benefits meant more before they went to all inclusive. Benefits include : 3 comp nights at 1500 points. discounts, upgrades, free internet, parties and invite to Officer`s table, free laundry. All of this info. is on the AZ site under Discover loyalty program.

WOW I better book some RCL corp cruises I would not want to miss that complimentary scoop of Gelato & Complimentary Cappucino, Espresso and Lattes

YMMV

The good thing is that the levels are all reciprocal among RCCL ships. The first Royal Caribbean cruise I took we were Diamond with them. If I ever cruise Azamara(which I doubt, why cruise with them when I can do Oceania) I will be at a high loyalty level.

The good thing is that the levels are all reciprocal among RCCL ships. The first Royal Caribbean cruise I took we were Diamond with them. If I ever cruise Azamara(which I doubt, why cruise with them when I can do Oceania) I will be at a high loyalty level.

I do not think RCCL or X have ships small enough to suit us & as you say why cruise AZA when there is O :evilsmile:

Because Azamara includes drinks the whole day, gratuities, Azamazing evenings and has a magnificent crew and officers?

That is good if you take advantage of those things

We rarely drink

we get PPG

we get enough OBC to buy any drinks we may want

we hate herds

We do not need to be best friends with the officers

YMMV

people should do what works best for them

I know we had 3 Azamara cruises booked totalling 70+ days and decided to rebook on similar O cruises at almost 1/2 the cost. Besides having better itineraries and since my DW doesn't drink and I only have one glass of wine at dinner, it was pretty much a no brainer. But everyone is different. I guess that's why there are so many cruise lines to choose from.

I know we had 3 Azamara cruises booked totalling 70+ days and decided to rebook on similar O cruises at almost 1/2 the cost. Besides having better itineraries and since my DW doesn't drink and I only have one glass of wine at dinner, it was pretty much a no brainer. But everyone is different. I guess that's why there are so many cruise lines to choose from.

Are you saying that O is half the cost of Azamara? I have compared many of the similar cruises and can not find such a difference. A few bucks maybe, but not half. Either way we will stick with O. :):)