JFK to Manhattan cruise port

FLsealegs

Be forewarned, taxi lines at the Manhattan port are long and can have waits of over an hour. There is a dispatcher. You can run across the street and try and flag down a returning cab, competing with many others. I take the 42 bus, which goes to Port Authority, I'd then suggest just taking the Far Rockaway A train to JFK, $7.75 pp. Otherwise, you are looking at at leave a $50 one way fare, plus 20% standard tip.

Car service is commonly used as well. 2 very well recommended vendors on the East Coast board.

Allow at least an hour, if it's shorter, all the better. :)

Take JFK air train to Jamaica station. Hop on subway E train to 7th Ave & 49th St. From there, take M50 bus and get off at 12th Ave. Cross the street and you have arrived at the cruise port. As said, total cost is $7.75 pp. Very easy to do if you google the route map in advance and don't have big luggage to deal with. Or if you are a party of two or one, Super Shuttle is slightly cheaper than taking a cab (around $43 for two people + tip).

Take JFK air train to Jamaica station. Hop on subway E train to 7th Ave & 49th St. From there, take M50 bus and get off at 12th Ave. Cross the street and you have arrived at the cruise port. As said, total cost is $7.75 pp. Very easy to do if you google the route map in advance and don't have big luggage to deal with. Or if you are a party of two or one, Super Shuttle is slightly cheaper than taking a cab (around $43 for two people + tip).

An error- the E train is not a 7th Ave train, it is 8th Ave. The station is 50th not 49th Street. There is an elevator at the South bound station, but it's also it's a couple flights of stairs up to the street northbound. .

We used https://www.nycairporter.com/schedule/portauthoritytojfkairport/

It was about $15/person, then you can grab a taxi at the last stop to the port for another $15-$20. It took us about 90 min to get to the port from JFK. We hailed a cab on the road while walking towards the port with our luggage and a TON passed us until we finally got one.

Has anyone taken a taxi from JFK to the Manhattan cruise port? How long did it take and how much did it cost?

After the cruise, is it easy enough to get a taxi from the port to JFK? Does NCL provide buses to the airport?

My only experience is with LGA. I made sure to do early disembark and walked/ran as fast as I could after leaving customs and was only about the 10th person in line for a taxi. There is a huge sign at the end of the building. You need to cross the street and then there will be someone directing people into the cabs. My guess would be budget an hour depending on time of day or traffic. LGA was only 25 minutes but JFK is in the opposite direction. Waiting time in traffic plus tip would probably cost you $65 or so to JFK.

We are flying in to JFK at 11:00 pm with luggage and DS. Would it still be safe to take the train from the airport that late at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this a weekday or a weekend? Haven't taken the train in awhile but weekdays tend to still have working people on it. Weekends if it gets much later well just say we call those trains the "drunk trains". Not necessarily dangerous tho.

Is this a weekday or a weekend? Haven't taken the train in awhile but weekdays tend to still have working people on it. Weekends if it gets much later well just say we call those trains the "drunk trains". Not necessarily dangerous tho.

Saturday night 11:00 pm arrival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Saturday night 11:00 pm arrival.

NYC subways are fine - without knowing your specific travel date & checking to see if there are any scheduled weekend/late night maintenance, track works or service changes - I suggest visiting the East Coast destination forum as there are extensive Q&A and FAQ for frugal travel & further customized help.

Assuming your flights is early/on-time, by the time you are at the gate, walk past luggage/out to ground transportation & up for the JFK AirTrain to transfer to NYC subway, it will likely be 11:30 to 11:45 before you get to Jamaica's transfer to the subway ... on a late night/reduced operating schedule & interval - it's accessible & luggage friendly. Your station stop in NYC might be nor might not - be prepared to walk up 2 or 3 levels up to street level - elevators & escalators might not be obvious for you to find.

Yellow NYC taxi is licensed/regulated and charge a flat rate to anywhere in Manhattan - and you can hail them outside at the JFK terminal, curbside to curbside - for 2 or 3 travelers, it is quite reasonable - tips & possible toll ... about $75 in total, all inclusive and you get a computerized & itemized receipt to keep for your record, by law. Car service have competitive rates and is about the same - Uber might save you (not a fan & only use them as a last resort) a little bit, late night - congestion/surge pricing "should" not apply.

Seems like there is a flat rate for Manhattan to/from JFK for yellow cab, so I guess yellow cab is a better choice if you have two people.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

It doesn't make sense to take subway with luggage especially after 8pm when the train is running on an off-peak schedule.

NYC subways are fine - without knowing your specific travel date & checking to see if there are any scheduled weekend/late night maintenance, track works or service changes - I suggest visiting the East Coast destination forum as there are extensive Q&A and FAQ for frugal travel & further customized help.

Assuming your flights is early/on-time, by the time you are at the gate, walk past luggage/out to ground transportation & up for the JFK AirTrain to transfer to NYC subway, it will likely be 11:30 to 11:45 before you get to Jamaica's transfer to the subway ... on a late night/reduced operating schedule & interval - it's accessible & luggage friendly. Your station stop in NYC might be nor might not - be prepared to walk up 2 or 3 levels up to street level - elevators & escalators might not be obvious for you to find.

Yellow NYC taxi is licensed/regulated and charge a flat rate to anywhere in Manhattan - and you can hail them outside at the JFK terminal, curbside to curbside - for 2 or 3 travelers, it is quite reasonable - tips & possible toll ... about $75 in total, all inclusive and you get a computerized & itemized receipt to keep for your record, by law. Car service have competitive rates and is about the same - Uber might save you (not a fan & only use them as a last resort) a little bit, late night - congestion/surge pricing "should" not apply.

Thanks for all the tips!

Why do people answer questions on this site when they are not informed - as some have said JFK to Manhattan is a flat rate - $52 plus tolls and a couple of minor taxes and fees - and nobody in NY tips the "standard 20%" - that guy is out of his mind.

My preference is UBER - order a Suburban SUV, plenty of room to stretch out in the back and tons of room for luggage (the driver doesn't have to try cramming you two bags into the trunk around the always loose spare tire) and if you have certain types of Amex Cards you get $15 off UBER per month as a benefit.

We have cruised from NYC twice and flown into JFK but we usually have a stay in NYC for about a week before the cruise. I'm not sure where you are going to go after you get off an 11 pm flight, it usually takes at least an hour to get through Immigration and customs making it midnight, I'm not sure the cruise terminal is open. I don't mean this to come over as critical or anything by the way.

I've never felt in any danger when we've used the subway and that included the 1 am trip back to midtown after a Yankees game went into extra innings, it might be a bit more difficult dragging cases, hand luggage and younger members of a party. You could try Uber or GETT once you've got through the Airport. We have always used a shuttle company but they are not necessarily that good and I'm not sure they operate that time of night.

NCL do offer a shuttle from the port to the airport, you can book it in advance or on board in the last couple of days of your trip. Comfy shuttle usually plenty of space, all dependant on what time your departure is and it's usually on the expensive side.

Hope some of this helps and enjoy your cruise.

Followup comments, re-read posts - there's 2 different poster with questions, one from FL and 2nd. from AZ - flights are domestic so no CBP involved, whew ! OP flying into JFK on day of embarkation to go direct to MCT, weekend mornings, trip time is 60 to 90 minutes on average.

On weekdays, up to 2 hours ... weather, traffic & route options varied via taxi, car service but absolutely no shared airporter buses, Super Shuttle or multiple "en route" stops for same day embarkation ... beware that it might be stopping at LGA on the way into and/or out of Manhattan (and, different airline terminals - absolutely do NOT use that if you are on a clock for checking-in & boarding the ship with cutoff time, it can take you anywhere from 2 to 4 hours before reaching "your stop")

Post-cruise / disembarkation, NCL does offer - generally - 2 options for airport transfers, with flights after 1 PM - only "sold" onboard to LGA or JFK, last price I saw earlier this year was $40 p/p one-way, good for solo travelers - with 2 or 3 going, taxi or car service is cheaper & faster, and easily, curbside-to-curbside. This is not showing for pre-booking pre-cruise on our upcoming NCL cruise next month ... only a post-cruise drive-by tour with airport dropoff, for flights in the afternoon or evening, LGA or JFK only @ $99 p/p (luggage are stored on the bus)

TSA new screening requirements for laptops, tablets, ipads & oversized electronics are further slowly down security checks at airports (especially for international flights) even for those with Pre-Check, allow - once at the airport - plenty of extra time to get thru air-side ... (slowed by other "in"frequent flyers ahead of us, unfamiliar with the "drills")

We are flying in to JFK at 11:00 pm with luggage and DS. Would it still be safe to take the train from the airport that late at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You land at 11pm and are taking a cruise the next morning? Where are you going to spend the night?

You land at 11pm and are taking a cruise the next morning? Where are you going to spend the night?

No, we land at 11:00 pm and off to the hotel in N. Bergen, NJ. We have all day Saturday to recover and explore then cruise departs on Sunday.

My plan was to train/subway to Manhattan from airport then taxi or Uber from there to hotel, but I wasn't sure if that would be safe for the family. Nothing says tourist more than a family dragging Hawaiian flowered suitcases through the subway. Lol

No, we land at 11:00 pm and off to the hotel in N. Bergen, NJ. We have all day Saturday to recover and explore then cruise departs on Sunday.

My plan was to train/subway to Manhattan from airport then taxi or Uber from there to hotel, but I wasn't sure if that would be safe for the family. Nothing says tourist more than a family dragging Hawaiian flowered suitcases through the subway. Lol

Where are you exploring in Nirth Bergen? It's an industrial area. You don't want to take a taxi from NY to NJ, or back, Uber will still be expensive. You'd be better off staying in NYC with what it's going to cost you going back and forth. How old is your child? Car seats are needed for kids under 8 in NJ.

First, I would never consider standing on a street corner somewhere in Manhattan, loaded down with luggage, after midnight, with the hope of finding a taxi to take me anywhere .

Second, no NY City taxi is required to take you from within the city limits to New Jersey, with the exception of going to Newark airport. If you could find a taxi driver willing to take you to they could charge you any fare they can get you to agree to as that fare is totally unregulated.

Do yourself a favor and book a car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo to pick you up at JFK and take you to your hotel in NJ, or summon an Uber at the airport...but remember at that hour an Uber to make that trip might be hard to find, and could be subject to some really steep surge pricing as a result.

I am sorry but it makes no sense to stay in NJ when you arriving into JFK and leaving out of Manhattan.

Here is a link to hotels by JFK airport

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-hotels.html