Non-Refundable Deposits....it's ok, really!

albingirl

So, we did that, one year ago. A non-refundable deposit. Much more affordable cabin and so we felt it was ok. Heard all kinds of stories here. But, because you, members of Cruise Critic have been helpful to me, I will be helpful to you. I booked the 49 day Atlantic Adventure one year ago or thereabouts. Around Black Friday, HAL was offering prepaid gratuities as an incentive to book. I called our travel agent, and no, I didn't book through the cruise line, and yes, they gave that to us. We received a very good OBC from our travel agent, as well, around that time. Well, 3 weeks from sailing, today, and of course very excited, I called our travel agent to see if there were upsells available. We booked a cabin we were comfortable with, in the first place, so this was not going to be disappointing in any event. Well! We received a good upsell and took it. All OBC and other perks transferred. We are very happy and think that it's best to be proactive if you would like to change your original booking.

It will be interesting to see whether non-refundable deposits meet the test of time. As of now, HAL offers it as an option with a lower cost then booking the same thing with a refundable deposit. So we think its the best of all worlds. Those that do not like the concept, or are constantly changing their mind, book cruises with no intention of taking the cruise...etc....can simply book using refundable deposits...but will pay a higher price for the cruise. Those of us who seldom cancel or change a booking and appreciate the extra savings with a non-refundable deposit can take advantage of the potential cost savings. But therein lies the rub :). If the non-refundable deposit fare does truly turn out to be the best deal....then fine. But if HAL later offers better deals than the non-refundable deal....then there will be a problem. Once burned,,,,,it is likely that few will ever trust the cruise lines again...when it comes to non-refundable deals.

I would add that the airlines have been doing the non-refundable thing for decades. If you want a fully refundable airline ticket you are going to pay a big premium when you purchase the ticket. No reason why the cruise industry cannot follow a similar model.

Hank

When I book a cruise, I book a cruise and we are going...

but, if it's a non refundable deposit I do a bit of a double take.

I don't book a non refundable hotel room 1 and 1/2 years out so why would I do the same for my cruise?

My airfare is refundable as I usually either use points (which allows me to cancel up to 22 days out) or HAL's air (which is paid at final payment time).

The air I pay on my own is inconsequential (shorter travel distances & cheaper) as it is covered by my credit card.

Once I book and it's non refundable, my cancellation insurance must be put in place and for some reason, I can't a bit concerned about having to pay for that a year early.

Each to his/her own. whatever works for you fine. I have only cancelled one cruise in my entire life of cruising but I still don't like feeling "locked down" that far out.

Getting closer, I will happily change my hotel reservations to prepaid if there is a savings and happily change my cruise too but don't ask me to do it this far out. Again, it depends on each person and what they prefer.

Fair enough, Kazu, and you are correct, each to his own....however, this was a good thing for us. Booking a year in advance gave me a chance to save our money for the cruise, all the tours, and expenses related. It may not work for everyone, but it did for us. By the way, I love your cruise reports, complete with photos, when you travel! You do an awesome job with your posts.:)

Fair enough, Kazu, and you are correct, each to his own....however, this was a good thing for us. Booking a year in advance gave me a chance to save our money for the cruise, all the tours, and expenses related. It may not work for everyone, but it did for us. By the way, I love your cruise reports, complete with photos, when you travel! You do an awesome job with your posts.:)

We book early too - at least a year in advance for some of the reasons you do.

but, I did a semi last minute booking (around 6 months IIRC) and the VP changed DH's schedule so we couldn't go. It was just a tag on to Alaska after our other cruise but I was looking forward to meeting some roll call members that post here often.

I don't know if cancellation insurance would have covered us but since we were outside the final date, I didn't need to worry.

thank you for the kind words on the live threads. I wish I were more talented but I lack the skills of others. I plan to do one next year, internet permitting. it's a very intriguing itinerary when we get to the 2nd leg. I'll cross the ocean anytime on the Prinsendam :)

My understanding with nonrefundable deposits is that they will allow upsells that they are offering but will not allow you to upgrade if upsells are not available.[/quote That may be true; I booked so long ago that I've forgotten the terms, but in all the years we've been cruising, we've received an upgrade only once. That was on a Carnival ship a long time ago. Upsells are a different matter.

When I book (either refundable or non-refundable) I purchase HAL's platinum insurance. That way if I cancel the trip I get 90% of my money back. I also purchase a medical and medivac policy from a third party which I hope never to use.

When I book (either refundable or non-refundable) I purchase HAL's platinum insurance. That way if I cancel the trip I get 90% of my money back. I also purchase a medical and medivac policy from a third party which I hope never to use.

Me too.

So glad I read this post! We booked with a TA several months ago and are inside final payment. I couldn't remember if we had a nonrefundable deposit or fare. It isn't stated anywhere I could find. After reading this post I called our TA and explained the prices on our cruise have come way down and asked if OBC or upsells were available. We were able to upgrade to a VD from an oceanview and a balcony Guarantee from an interior Guarantee. It cost us $25 OBC (x2). A small price to pay for nice upgrades. It never hurts to ask :D

We just booked the Feb 25 ,2018 Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera cruise because the price was great (non refundable ) ,a $150 OBC & a American Express blue Cash back deal of another $100 savings . We did the booking with our preferred TA . We took the Platinum HAL insurance policy as well ;which is our case is a lot cheaper because of our ages of 78 each .Cruise insurance like with insuremytrip.com when you reach the 70 age bracket can be 10 to 12 % of your total trip cost .

We live in the San Diego area so no need to fly for this cruise :D ;but ,if we did we can usually insure the R/T airfares with Allianz for $30:)

Wish every one great deals & great sailing :D

Just double check to see if it is a non-refundable deposit or fare. I just re-did my cruise for June 2018 (better price and some OBC), and I thought the TA said it changed to a non-ref deposit, but the invoice says non-ref fare. That's OK because i have cancel for any reason insurance, but it might not be for someone else.